Thread: Sorting brass

Sorting brass

Finally got around to mounting a 5 gallon bucket on my old Midway tumbler. I need to grab another bucket to put inside this one as I want to put water in the bottom to help keep the dust down, even though this is in the garage. I wore my respirator while doing this anyhow. So much quicker than doing it by hand, once I figured out the right amount to pour in at a time (not in the video lol).

https://youtu.be/KTGrpoZJRFg
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

9mm nested inside of .40S&W, the bane of reloaders everywhere.

Interesting idea for the automation, where did you get the sorting trays? They appear to be built for the purpose, but I haven't seen them before. A quick search at Midway didn't turn them up.

They've come up with so many great things since I quit reloading I feel like I'm starting from scratch.

I got them a few years ago from a local supplier up here and then the idea to attach to the tumbler from the wizards at BrianEnos.com I was actually surprised at how easily the nested 9mm and 40 came apart on their own most of the time. If you don't overload it, it works really well.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Well, I went directly to the Midway USA site earlier and searched "brass sorting" and got no hits. But I just Googled the same and got directed right to them...on Midways's site no less, as well as others. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ICT View Post
    9mm nested inside of .40S&W, the bane of reloaders everywhere.

Interesting idea for the automation, where did you get the sorting trays? They appear to be built for the purpose, but I haven't seen them before. A quick search at Midway didn't turn them up.

They've come up with so many great things since I quit reloading I feel like I'm starting from scratch.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1356

They are available all over and well worth it.

I started with wet tumbling and don't have a dry tumbler. I use the shell sorter on top of 2 5-gallon buckets. The bottom bucket has a lib and serves as a stand so less bending over. Put the shell sorter inserts in the top bucket. I really need to make offsets to separate them more.

For nested cases, like 9's in 40's, put a bucket lid over the 40 plate and shake the plate and lid vigorously, swirl and repeat. This will separate all but the most stubborn cases.

I usually keep up with sorting on brass ingest to the garage and rately have to deal with more than a gallon or 2 of brass at a time, so not sure I would pay $ for a vibratory tumbler. Maybe I'll trip over one cheap.

User Tag List