Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How important is hammer weight? (HK)

How important is hammer weight? (HK)

P30 V3
    I'm fat
    Appendix carry sucks but it's here to stay.
    Hammer and decocker eat my belly.
    Decocker will get the file.
    Hammer needs to get chopped.

If you look at the hammer it appears they have taken maybe the same LEM trigger and cut it different and then added what appears to be plastic? Haven't checked it with a magnet yet.. To make it longer. I really really want that part to go. My issue is I do not want to make this gun any less reliable, it is my EDC.

Option 1. Bob hammer and shoot a bunch to validate.

Option 2. Buy new hammer, weigh it, chop it, weigh it again and make sure the weight is good (what is a good weight??)

Option 3. Hit the gym and loose the gut. (This really isn't an option, I have lovefooditus, combine that with my natural lazy American tendencies and it's not a good fit for me.

Am I overthinking this?

Last edited by Luke; 02-07-2016 at 05:33 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Don't take this the wrong way but I think you should focus on losing weight. We all carry guns to defend ourselves and our loved ones/innocent people we may be able to save. Exercise is a great way to prolong your life, just like carrying a firearm. I treat it with as much importance as training/carry.

The not loosing weight thing was a joke really. I quit going to the gun a while back when I hurt my forearm trying to be kewl on the preacher curl bench. Going to renew my membership this week, but gonna dirty bulk for a few months since I'm already fat. Then after semi dirty bulking for a while I'll cut all winter and be shredded for next summer doubt it will work like I plan but gonna try it anyways. I'm not super fat, 6ft 230lbs. I look fairly normal size minus my man tits.

Either way I want to bob the hammer.

I got down to 170 crazy fast about a year and a half ago then started a new job with lots of free food.. So I know I can drop the weight. Most of my weight is kept on with carbs. I can get into ketosis and loose TONS of weight fast.
    Last edited by Luke; 02-07-2016 at 06:01 PM.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    The not loosing weight thing was a joke really. I quit going to the gun a while back when I hurt my forearm trying to be kewl on the preacher curl bench. Going to renew my membership this week, but gonna dirty bulk for a few months since I'm already fat. Then after semi dirty bulking for a while I'll cut all winter and be shredded for next summer doubt it will work like I plan but gonna try it anyways. I'm not super fat, 6ft 230lbs. I look fairly normal size minus my man tits.

Either way I want to bob the hammer.

I got down to 170 crazy fast about a year and a half ago then started a new job with lots of free food.. So I know I can drop the weight. Most of my weight is kept on with carbs. I can get into ketosis and loose TONS of weight fast.
    you just made me laugh so hard with the man tits thing. Not exactly sure why but I can understand your position completely. I am sure it would be fine. obviously vet it at the range. I would buy a spare, chop, and shoot it.

Site Supporter
    Hammer weight shouldn't be an issue, given that the LEM hammer does not have the spur. Hammer spring weight is the more important aspect, AFAIK.

I don't have first hand experience with that type of modification, but I took a factory V3 and made it an LEM without issue. Decocker/release catch can be left alone or replaced; I left it because I didn't have the LEM release catch on hand at the time. If you install the LEM release, there is a small gap in the back of the frame that's barely noticeable.

You can kind of see the comparison here:

Site Supporter
    Also...I'm not an HK armorer. I'm a barely skilled tinkerer that watches YouTube

A high sweat guard on your holster might be your friend.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

I cut the spur off of a Sig 226 hammer. The bobbed hammer functioned as the unmodified unit.
    Nobody is impressed by what you can't do. -THJ

Quote Originally Posted by breakingtime91 View Post
    you just made me laugh so hard with the man tits thing. Not exactly sure why but I can understand your position completely. I am sure it would be fine. obviously vet it at the range. I would buy a spare, chop, and shoot it.

I'm a solid A cup.
    i used to wannabe

Quote Originally Posted by JDM View Post
    I cut the spur off of a Sig 226 hammer. The bobbed hammer functioned as the unmodified unit.
    I'm ginna chop it and run it through a match and see how she's does.
    i used to wannabe

User Tag List