Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: LL's new house and moving hacks thread

Quote Originally Posted by 125 mph View Post
    There's a special spot in hell for people who leave homes without toilet paper in them.
    Until someone drops sailors off, finished up the paperwork and there's no running water.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    another tip, if any boxes are unopened after 3 months of being in the house, toss them. Well, look in them, but then toss them.
    We more or less did this. We had the luxury of moving almost all of our boxes into the shop we have on-property before cycling them into the house. So the movers, essentially, put all of the furniture and essential boxes in the house (clothes, basic dishes, etc.) and the rest into the shop (books, toys, gun stuff, minor appliances). Then we retrieved what we needed, when we needed it. I have since ditched every single cardboard box for these, and only things we want to keep or are too expensive to toss (like a lot of my gun crap) live in the bins. The bins then live on these shelves.

What I wish I had done was gotten the shelves before the move (I was going to build them out of wood myself originally) so that the boxes could have better organized in the shop. As it is, one whole set of shelves is almost entirely consumed by shooting supplies and ammo.

I also kind of wish I had bought the bins pre-move and saved on the boxes, but having to go through every box and decide if the stuff was worth keeping really helped weed out the crap.

Sounds like a nice place, good luck with the move. I'm a pack rat, and moving is about the only thing makes me throw stuff away. Maybe it's an opportunity to get rid of old stuff? PODS are great, and we used one in a remodel a few years ago. If possible, pack the small important things and let the movers do the rest.

LL,

Good luck with the move.

I ended up buying a large storage shed myself. Going to reiterate its good to have storage for items that are seassonal. Unfortuently my seasonal storage the wife turned into long term.

I have been buying a lot of plastic totes for storing items. Makes things easier to stack and move.

I also use a plastic tote while cleaning if an item is not suppose to be in X it goes into the tote.

Last before you ask people to help move, pack everything first. Nothing as frustrating as someone asking you 100 times where does this go or dude Why is there a dildo in the sock drawer.
    Last edited by ffhounddog; 02-09-2016 at 06:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by ffhounddog View Post
    Last before you ask people to help move, pack everything first.
    I stopped helping friends move, because of this very reason. I hate packing my own crap up...I don't want to pack your's too!!!

Seriously, a couple of friends were notorious for this. Twice...TWICE my wife volunteered us to help them move. First time we go over there, nothing in the house is packed. Hell, they didn't even have boxes, they texted us that morning asking us to bring boxes. I showed up with half-a-dozen boxes, figuring they meant they just needed a few more for miscellaneous stuff. No...they meant bring 60 boxes, because we haven't even packed a thing. I spent the whole damn day packing someone else's stuff. The next time we showed up and one room (of 6) was packed up. I moved that room into their Uhaul and then I left. My wife, forever being too nice stayed and helped them. I was too mad to do that..."Fool me once..."

-Rob
    Last edited by RevolverRob; 02-09-2016 at 08:40 AM.

From a really good friend of mine from the Corps (3/1, Scout Sniper) who still carries a gun for a living. Benches 475, weighs 275ish, but has a lightning fast wit. It's funny, laugh

You should put on a pair of overalls and sit in a rocking chair on your front porch with a double barrel shotgun in your lap so whenever kids pass by they can say "oh shit it's old man LlittleLebowski, run!" and then you get killed by the creature that rises from out of the abandoned mine shaft that you didn't notice approaching because you're distracted by reading your 1987 copy of "BIG Puerto Rican TITS" magazine but that's another story I don't have time for.
    #RESIST

User Tag List