Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Info/impressions on carrying a G-26

Quote Originally Posted by isis07734 View Post
    Went to the shop today to handle the gen4 9mms, man what a difference. Held the G26 (again) and tried twisting it out of my strong hand with other hand, the new texture and width allowed a pretty strong one handed 2.4 finger grip on it. Should have brought a holster to try drawing from, didnt think of it.

Got home and Google imaged g26 undercut, there are some pretty extreme cuts out there, I bet I could get a 2.75 finger grip with an aggressive under cut and bump removal..

Almost pulled the trigger on it, but the guy said to wait and buy it when I buy the suppressor, so I have more time... haha

GJM, you using the George for the G26? Have you found your draw speed pretty similar to the bigger Glock 9mms?
    1) I am using a George, and I better be after Tony named it after me!

2) I think I am slightly slower on the draw with the 26, compared to a 19/17, as the grip is smaller. Probably a higher disaster factor drawing the G26, when trying to push speed, related to the smaller grip.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

THE THIRST MUTILATOR Nephrology's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    1) I am using a George, and I better be after Tony named it after me!

2) I think I am slightly slower on the draw with the 26, compared to a 19/17, as the grip is smaller. Probably a higher disaster factor drawing the G26, when trying to push speed, related to the smaller grip.
    This is why I bought a few +0 pierce extensions - not so much that I need them to help me shoot the gun well, but so I can get a solid hand on the gun when I draw.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    This thread is adding even more indecision to my current "26 vs 43" issue. I think a 43 would be better used for my job and for ultimate conceal-ability, but I know I shoot the 26 better and with a 26 can keep extra 17rd mags in my emergency bag.
    I went through a lot of pistols trying to find a better 26. I would have been better off, and a lot of money ahead, just keeping the first 26 I had. There's a fine line between concealability and shootability. You just have to decide which you're willing to live with.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Quote Originally Posted by GreggW View Post
    You just have to decide which you're willing to live with.
    Yep. This would be really be a work-specific carry (NPE but w/boardroom permission) and the occasional "going to the store" carry. I know the 26 would be better for me in every possible area with the exception of total concealment.
    "Do nothing which is of no use." -Musashi

What would TR do? TRCP BHA

Quote Originally Posted by PNWTO View Post
    Yep. This would be really be a work-specific carry (NPE but w/boardroom permission) and the occasional "going to the store" carry. I know the 26 would be better for me in every possible area with the exception of total concealment.
    If you work with a tailor I think you would be amazed at how easy it is to hide a 26. Smart carry or belly band give you a lot of options.

That being said something like a PPS or Shield is going to be a lot more comfortable and requiring less adjustment to your clothing. There are people that shoot small single stacks at a really high level. I'm not one of them but mostly that's a skill issue and not an issue with the firearm.

I think step one would be to put rounds through all your options and decide what you can live with and train through. You can work around the clothing issues later.
    “If you know the way broadly you will see it in everything." - Miyamoto Musashi

Here's a cool story bro..

On Sunday I was out in the snow and mud shooting my AKs (happy as a pig in shit) when I said to myself, "man, it's been a few weeks since I was able to shoot the 26."

I walked over to my 25 yard line, drew from my IWB holster and landed a HST dead center of the bullseye. I reholstered and walked away like Clint Eastwood.

Site Supporter
    My Glock 26 was my graduation gift to myself when I finished law school. It has been my favorite concealed carry gun ever since.

I find that I can shoot it almost as well as I can shoot my full size pistols, yet hide it as easily as I could hide a small frame .38 revolver. The two-finger grip takes some getting used to, but overall is not bad.

I never minded the factory Glock sights, but liked the idea of tritium enough so that I installed my first set within less than 2 years of buying the gun. After trying multiple brands, I now stick with Trijicon, and that is what the gun currently wears, with a green front and yellow rear.

Being new to concealed carry when I bought the gun, I wasn't sure how I would typically carry it, and was nervous about the light trigger. I installed a NY1 trigger spring, giving me a 9 lb. pull. I did most of my early handgun learning with revolvers, so long heavy triggers do not bother me. However, during an IDPA classifier, my slide lock spring broke 1/3 of the way through, and I finished the classifier with a rental gun with a standard trigger setup. After seeing how much my performance improved with the lighter trigger, I installed a 3.5 lb. connector, leaving the NY1 trigger spring in place. I found this trigger so much easier to use than either the stock trigger or the NY1 with standard connector that I have stuck with it ever since. Only the 4th generation triggers are better than this setup in my opinion.

I added an "extended" slide stop once they became IDPA legal. This did not interfere with even the tightest holster, and made working the slide stop that much easier.

Most recently, I added a Crimson Trace LaserGuard. As between this and the other Crimson Trace lasers for this gun, the LaserGuard does not affect overall thickness at all, and only slightly impacts grip circumference.

I have carried the gun in OWB, IWB, shoulder, belly band, pocket, and ankle holsters, as well as a fanny pack. I find that the more I carry, the fewer carry positions I prefer. Today, this gun is carried either IWB or in a front pocket holster, with the fanny pack being reserved for running.

For IWB holsters, I have come to prefer Blade-Tech. This gun hides very well at 3:30 on the belt in a vertical IWB holster. The best pocket holster I have found is a nylon Uncle Mike's holster loosely attached to a Chris Fry/Raven Concealment Pocket Shield. Keeping the attachment loose lets the gun find the best position in the pocket, while the attachment to the pocket shield serves to break up the outline of the gun and to retain the holster in the pocket during a draw. 2nd best pocket holster is a DeSantis SuperFly. With dress slacks purchased for IWB carry and with pleats, the gun is concealed in the pocket, but it is definitely obvious that something is in the pocket. Carrying this way will also wear out pants quickly.

As tempted as I am to try a Glock 43 for pocket carry, I am unconvinced that the slight difference in thickness will make a significant difference in concealability.

Until I acquired other guns, this gun was often the 2nd gun I would let a new shooter shoot, after first practicing with a .22. Very few beginners had any serious difficulty with it.

While many others seemed to prefer the .40 caliber 27 over the 9mm 26, I never regretted going with 9mm. I have heard or read of more gun explosions in .40 than in all other calibers combined, and I am unconvinced that a mugger would notice the difference between a 9mm and .40. Particularly now that I have children, however, I am increasingly convinced of the value of more rounds in the magazine. Trying to control kids with 1 hand while shooting with 1 hand would likely make reducing the need to reload quite comforting.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 02-25-2016 at 09:22 PM.

Worth noting in a G26 thread (since I crow on an on about my Glocks) that my older Gen 4 G26 I purchased in March 2012, broke it's RSA during an attempt at the DoW Four Sevens today. Locked it up tight and I pulled the back plate to disassemble and inspect. The metal washer like collar that anchors the RSA against the front of the slide broke in some manner allowing the plastic center of the RSA with a remaining portion of this washer to protrude though. My log says 2130 rounds on that gun and original RSA as of today.
    A new and a spare to be ordered.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List