Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: El Presidente

Quote Originally Posted by KeeFus View Post
    Necropost

I’m going to use this drill with steel targets (A/C zone) at the requisite 10 yards. I will be adding this into a Department range day and/or class and in an effort to keep things safe I am removing the turn. I will also be preloading mags to between 6 and 11 rounds (I don’t want them anticipating a mag change at the 6th round which would normally be slide lock on the traditional drill). Plus, the preload was recommended by Hackathorn for modern pistols.

Officers will be doing this with Glock 17’s from 6360 holsters, and mag pouches with flaps. I’ve bought some LEO type morale patches to be given to the winner each day. My question is, given that we will be doing this in duty gear what are respectable times for the drill? Not that it really matters because the fastest will get the patch, just curious...

For perspective, I'll tell you that I'd be extremely pleased if our guys were able to consistently shoot an El Pres clean in sub 10 seconds. IME consistent B class level performance is something that's WELL above your typical street cop's repertoire. As sad as that is to say.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    For perspective, I'll tell you that I'd be extremely pleased if our guys were able to consistently shoot an El Pres clean in sub 10 seconds. IME consistent B class level performance is something that's WELL above your typical street cop's repertoire. As sad as that is to say.
    I just shot it clean from a 6360 and flapped mag pouches in 10.53...and I flubbed my draw which was about .70 slower than usual.

EVERYONE else was at or above the 15.00 mark...misses sent some above the 20.00 second mark.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    IME consistent B class level performance is something that's WELL above your typical street cop's repertoire. As sad as that is to say.
    I agree. It s an issue with every department.

The nice part about working with your own group is that you can use whatever parameters work well for them motivation-wise. It sounds like your guys/gals may be similar to ours in that the scale nwhpfan’s mentioned may not give enough latitude/reference on the slower end for reasonable comparison. I think having that reference can potentially be very motivational for folks, especially if they’re going to be seeing it again. ;-)

You’d mentioned the equipment component, so for discussion’s sake…

For FAST testing, I think ToddG’s standard for a level III rig was a .25 second credit? And another .25 credit for flapped mag pouches? I don’t have a great sense for the flapped mag part, as we issue open top pouches and they’re predominantly what I train with. But I think the quarter second for the SLS/ALS combo (we issue 6360s too) is pretty reasonable. I chatted with Gabe a bunch when he was coming up with the equipment considerations for his classes and I *think* he went with something pretty similar too.

t

Everyone thus far has enjoyed the COF’s and drills I have used. It’s something different that hasn’t been done before.

I used my “Class A/B” duty rig today. Next week I will use either my Motorcycle Load out (6360 & Safariland model 79 slimline) or my admin load out (7378 and old school G&G double mag pouch).

I’m hoping to get rid of the magazine pouches with flaps. My mag changes today were lethargic at just over 3 seconds while others were north of 4 seconds.

That's alright, now you have a way better baseline and can adjust the times accordingly. Gotta start somewhere!
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    A 7 second run with 2 C in production is a 56 point run.

Now you tell me: Is 1.95 to draw-to-shot a glacial pace?
    Not for a moment am I suggesting that it's not doable by mortals; if it wasn't, it'd be a GM-level score, not A-class. I'm just not there (yet). Like I said, I've got some low-hanging fruit that needs picking, and it's probably solvable almost entirely via dry fire, so I really just need to put in the work.

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I think that just shows how easy scoring highly on the USPSA El Pres is
    Yeah - there is a discussion about this... Some of the newer classifiers are just astronomical. Even good top-guys have trouble nailing 'em consistently.

That said, I don't think that the high-water mark for El Pres. is wrong... Folks still have to land 6 good ones...

Shot it cold with 7378 and G&G mag pouch...9.38 with a miss...so 10.38.

Modified One shot qualification (steel was at 10 yards) was my fastest time that I think I have ever had...1.22.

User Tag List