Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: El Presidente

Site Supporter
    I think the El Prez is a great practice drill to shoot once in a while.

My duty gun is a Glock 22 in a Safariland ALS holster with the mags carried in pouches with flaps.

If I can shoot 54 points (90%) in 12 seconds or less that makes me very happy. (I think I'm usually about 13.5?)

Site Supporter
    About 30 years ago we stated using the El Presidente Drill in In-Service. Auto pistol shooters had 18 seconds and revolver shooters had 25 seconds and they had to get all 12 rounds in the scoring zone which was an 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper.

A modified El Prez at 10 yards. No pivot. Starting position was hands relaxed at sides. We had a target shed full of slightly water damaged B-21 and B-27 targets we were trying to get rid of and somebody suggested we use a regular sheet of typing paper as the primary zone because it was a more realistic size than the K5 zone on a B-21 or the 8 ring on a B-27.

(An 8-1/2 x 11 sheet of paper does approximate the size of the upper hydraulics on an adult male)

The three targets were probably 3 feet apart. One sheet of paper in the chest of each target.

(Kind of like the A zone on an IPSC target but bigger)

Back then it was mostly people drawing S&W revolvers out of thumbreak holsters. Nowadays around here it would be people drawing Glocks (or S&W M&Ps or H&K VP9s) out of Safariland SLS or ALS security holsters. We haven't done this drill for a while -- I'm not sure what a good par time for those holsters might be but I bet 15 seconds would be about right for the "average" cop who only does quarterly firearms training and nothing else (and maybe I'm being really optimistic . . . )

Finaly went out and ran this a few Different ways.

Last edited by nwhpfan; 06-02-2018 at 12:51 AM.
    A71593

I find that once people start getting the "hang of it", that 15 seconds is good. Once they get "cocky", I then have them shoot Mod Presidente (forget where I learned it or original name), Start out same, after reload, it is two to each head T zone only.

Site Supporter

El Presidente drill

There are a bazillion different variations of the "El Presidente" and they're all good.

A common one (part of the current IDPA classifier match) is two shots on each target, mandatory reload, and then two shots to the head of each target.

Or, after the mandatory reload, engage the targets strong hand only.

Or, begin engaging the targets strong hand only, reload with both hands, transfer the gun to the weak hand and engage the targets weak hand only.

From 10 yards or 7 yards, with or without a pivot.

Experienced USPSA shooters with competition gear can be blazingly fast. Cops who don't practice much, working out of regular duty holsters will NOT be blazingly fast.

User Tag List