Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: El Presidente

El Presidente

Just curious what people think a really good El Presidente time is?

Seems their is often talk of the relevance of one thing over the other so purely talking this shooting drill as a measure. Unless you've been living under a rock you've shot El Pres.

And not just a one time best, say an average of 3.

And I'm interested in what people think is a true reflection of overall skill considering different scoring methods and gear. Do you think only clean runs count, or USPSA or IDPA style scoring, something different.

I have an idea of what I think and I'm inclined to penalize .5 seconds for C and 3 seconds for D. And I think concealment and duty holster with covered mag pouch is graced .5 seconds and all else is equal.
    Last edited by nwhpfan; 02-05-2016 at 07:02 PM.
    A71593

5.5 seconds from concealment with all A's would be pretty damn good.
    I think it's a good test of gun handling and shooting skills.

I think I remember Bob Vogel saying in the old days 10s was considered good, but now 7s is.

Are we referring to all alphas?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

The Hit factor is more accurate measurement IMO. Production Master - HF 8.72. So you need all alphas under 7sec to begin with. What is more important is to break it down to what it takes to shoot it right.
    Here is my personal target:
    El pres 5.1 seconds
    Turn draw 1.5
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Reload 1.4
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Last edited by cheby; 02-05-2016 at 08:05 PM.

Which El Pres are you going to use. I think Jeff Cooper's original El Pres was at 10 meters and the targets were 9 feet apart. I'm not sure about those measurements, but it's different from the USPSA Classifier.

They used this at the IDPA Nationals one year using .5 seconds per point down. I think TGO did it in 7 seconds or so.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    The Hit factor is more accurate measurement IMO. Production Master - HF 8.72. So you need all alphas under 7sec to begin with. What is more important is to break it down to what it takes to shoot it right.
    El pres 5.1 seconds
    Turn draw 1.5
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Reload 1.4
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    I smell what your cooking but I tend to think 48 points in 4.8 seconds is a bit easier than 60 points in 6 seconds using HF scoring.
    A71593

I don't know. I used to think this way. It may be a bit easier but also unpredictable. The disaster factor is too high. However, I am thinking if I can do it in 4.8 sec with unpredictable results, I should be able to do it under 6 sec with predicable 2-4 points dropped.
    Last edited by cheby; 02-05-2016 at 09:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cheby View Post
    El pres 5.1 seconds
    Turn draw 1.5
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Reload 1.4
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    Transition .25
    Split .20
    I think hit factor is BS. You shoot alphas. But appreciate the clarification. All alphas in 7 sec is BADASS!
    Last edited by JHC; 02-05-2016 at 10:19 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by nwhpfan View Post
    Just curious what people think a really good El Presidente time is?

Seems their is often talk of the relevance of one thing over the other so purely talking this shooting drill as a measure. Unless you've been living under a rock you've shot El Pres.

And not just a one time best, say an average of 3.

And I'm interested in what people think is a true reflection of overall skill considering different scoring methods and gear. Do you think only clean runs count, or USPSA or IDPA style scoring, something different.
    I gave this some thought and messed around with El Prez and some variations ths weekend.

Consistent sub-7.0, clean runs would be what I consider really good.
    C Class shooter.

User Tag List