Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: How Should Logistics Be Considered?

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    I hear zombies love fat people.
    We were all skinny in our 20s. And knew everything.

Site Supporter Maple Syrup Actual's Avatar
    Here's where I'd start thinking about logistics: if you live somewhere so F'd up that having a dead mag or a broken slide stop on a gun means you need to seriously worry about your survival, you should definitely hire a company like Transworld Logistics to move you and all your stuff the hell out of wherever you are. That's some good logistics involvement.

Otherwise, if you need to factor in logistics to achieve your goals, go crazy. I'm struggling to see how it could be a concern for most people. Just go shoot the guns, and if stuff breaks, fix it.

Buy guns that suit your purposes

Own as many mags, accessories, and spare parts as seems appropriate

Shoot them as much as much as you enjoy or as much as you have to, as applicable to your situation

Done.
    This is a thread where I built a boat I designed and which I very occasionally update with accounts of using it, which is really fun as long as I'm not driving over logs and blowing up the outboard.
    https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....ilding-a-skiff

I didn't start worrying about spare parts until I started IPSC. Until then I just ordered spare parts as I needed them.

Now I have doubles and triples of springs and pins, just in case I break something I need. But I also have doubles and triples of pistols too...

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT
    Something ive rarely seen discussed in the shooting commuinty vis-a-vis gun choice is the importance of logistics?
    ...as can be seen by looking at the eight pages of results when one plugs "logistics" into the search box at top right.

Here's some. Here's more. This was a good thread. Back in October of 2014, this guy started a thread wondering why it wasn't discussed more.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    ...as can be seen by looking at the eight pages of results when one plugs "logistics" into the search box at top right.

Here's some. Here's more. This was a good thread. Back in October of 2014, this guy started a thread wondering why it wasn't discussed more.
    It may come as some surprise to you that P-F.com does not constitute the entire shooting community.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    It may come as some surprise to you that P-F.com does not constitute the entire shooting community.
    It may come as some surprise to you that P-F.com does not care about the entire shooting community.

My basic plan is to buy things that are reliable and don't break. That approach supposedly minimizes the amount of spare components I need to have on hand for TEOTWAWKI (although you couldn't tell by the amount of Glock spare parts that I have on hand...despite almost never actually having to resort to USING them...).

Here's the conundrum I think we face to a degree (and who/where we are/what we do can play to the relative significance of the options/conundrum resolution):

Assuming that choices center around contemporary, factory supported guns (i.e, fuggabout 3rd Gen S&Ws, HK P7s, et al), the arguable drama devolves around this script line:

1. Should I get a gun with decent quality components, of known and acceptable reliability/durability/accuracy/ergonomics/expense/component availability and ease of operator maintenance and parts replacement (detailed assembly and reassembly), AKA Glock; or

2. Should I get a gun with exceptionally high quality components that generally/usually/most of the time won't break, but if they do, you'd better have a direct line to higher echelon support for both parts and repair skills/gunsmithing...AKA Heckler & Koch (arguably along with most SIG-Sauers, Berettas, and comparable quality guns once you get past field-stripping).

I guess my answer tends to be somewhat situational-if I needed one gun/platform to cover all potential scenarios (including TEOTWAWKI), where I need a reliable gun that I can effectively work on as needed (and with minimal, if any ancillary tools/supporting machinery required), with relatively small inventories of stockpiled components, it frankly becomes a Glock kind of day (and the availability and low cost of most components is a nice additional fillip).

However, I also appreciate and enjoy the arguably higher quality individual component quality and ergonomics of my HK VP, and to a lesser extent, similarly regarding my Beretta 92, 1911s, Hi Power, and Ruger revolvers. They are all tough, durable firearms, but a higher degree of skill is usually called for regarding most parts replacements beyond field-stripping. (And with most of them, you're really talking about formal armorer training, not just a You Tube video exposure sort of training/familiarization-but I accept that some of you might fairly argue that point with me).

My pat answer to all this is "Glock." But I find myself pretty frequently carrying my HK VP40, due to its exquisite (and instinctively achieved) ergonomics (at least once you take the time and effort needed to discern the right-for-you combination of side panels and back straps).

And there's also my Ruger late-production P89, with which to me has equal-to-HK ergos (particularly with an aftermarket Hogue fingergroove grip) and accuracy (Yeah, mine might well be the statistical aberration here), and incredibly overbuilt components that are noted for virtually nothing breaking....but I guess that's my spin on the JonInWA retro hipster gun...

Best, Jon
    Last edited by JonInWA; 02-08-2016 at 02:29 PM.

I don't shoot Glocks because I think that they are infallible, unbreakable, or because they are the best shooting pistols in existence.
    They are also not the only pistol type that I own.
    They are, however, what I primarily train on as they are what I will most likely have at the time of need.
    I selected them for that purpose because with nothing other than a simple punch I can replace everything in them, with the understanding that everything is susceptible to breakage, damage, neglect, and life-cycle.
    I do not think that there is any other equally sustainable family of pistols that matches their performance.

This does not prevent me from acquiring and enjoying other pistols, but they are either dedicated to specialized applications or fall into the "because I want it" category.
    Director Of Sales
    Knight's Armament Company

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    Here's where I'd start thinking about logistics: if you live somewhere so F'd up that having a dead mag or a broken slide stop on a gun means you need to seriously worry about your survival, you should definitely hire a company like Transworld Logistics to move you and all your stuff the hell out of wherever you are. That's some good logistics involvement.

Otherwise, if you need to factor in logistics to achieve your goals, go crazy. I'm struggling to see how it could be a concern for most people. Just go shoot the guns, and if stuff breaks, fix it.

Buy guns that suit your purposes

Own as many mags, accessories, and spare parts as seems appropriate

Shoot them as much as much as you enjoy or as much as you have to, as applicable to your situation

Done.
    Where I live a chipped extractor or a broken trigger spring in an HK could leave you without a gun for years. And you may very well need it. Sadly the places you are unlikely to need one don't just let you move in.

Unless youre Syrian of course...
    Welcome to Africa, bring a hardhat.

Quote Originally Posted by misanthropist View Post
    ~Snip~

Done.
    Man that sounds so nice in theory. But you're talking to a guy who has OCD so bad that I think about buying guns that hold cartridges in divisions of ten so I can empty the box of 50 with the same number of magazines every time (seriously). Sometimes logistics isn't about logistics...its about an obsessive need to plan and control everything.

Quote Originally Posted by Failure2Stop View Post
    I don't shoot Glocks because I think that they are infallible, unbreakable, or because they are the best shooting pistols in existence.
    They are also not the only pistol type that I own.
    They are, however, what I primarily train on as they are what I will most likely have at the time of need.
    I selected them for that purpose because with nothing other than a simple punch I can replace everything in them, with the understanding that everything is susceptible to breakage, damage, neglect, and life-cycle.
    I do not think that there is any other equally sustainable family of pistols that matches their performance.

This does not prevent me from acquiring and enjoying other pistols, but they are either dedicated to specialized applications or fall into the "because I want it" category.
    If I only shot Glock 19s as well or better than all the other guns I shoot...

Quote Originally Posted by BigT View Post
    Where I live a chipped extractor or a broken trigger spring in an HK could leave you without a gun for years. And you may very well need it. Sadly the places you are unlikely to need one don't just let you move in.
    That gives me nightmares on the spot.

___

Logistics - I hate them and I love them. I love the logic, redundancy, a contingency plan, uniformity across the platform. I am convinced Sig designed the P250/320-series of guns for people like me. I can literally buy a few trigger control groups, a bunch of slides, barrels, and a few different kinds of magazines. I can fit them all nicely into the foam of Pelican cases (black), sorted by caliber, and stacked on top of one another in my safe. Picture that for a second...if you're OCD that sounds fricking awesome. BUT...it's also pretty boring. Someone would open my safe and go..."Wow, you really like black Pelican cases and Sig P250s." At which point I would probably frown and go, "No, they just make a logical sense in terms of logistics. Redundancy, multiple calibers, different sizes...easy to organize, get parts for, fit all the same holsters...etc." And they would nod and pretend like they get it.

It's not the same as when I open my safe and I see the guns I like in there. Organized by make, then caliber - Brownings, Colts, Smith and Wessons, Sigs - AR15s and shotguns of various flavors. And that's the trouble...I am passionate about guns.

And fundamentally the things you are a passionate about are often illogical and thus...it makes me hate the logistics involved. I know I should have the practical, logical, system-based approach and spend all of the remaining money on ammunition and range time. That's what the mature, logical, OCD side of my brain says...but the caveman side says, "Rob like Colts. Colts like Rob. Colts go home with Rob."

-Rob

User Tag List