Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: How Should Logistics Be Considered?

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    I personally wouldn't rely on a pistol for serious business that isn't currently factory supported. Does't mean I don't own any or enjoy shooting them on occasion. I just won't carry or seriously train with them.

Unless we are talking about the end of the world, having a spare carry gun and a few parts is about all the logistics you need to be worried about in the US. If it breaks and you can't fix it, ship it to the factory and use your spare.

When it comes to changing guns, it's not like stating over for a skilled shooter.
    This.

Okie John

I'm married to Glocks and Beretta 92's for this very reason. I prefer to fix my own guns when I can.

Maybe I have too much tinfoil on my head, but I think every serious pistol shooter ought to have a Glock and a bag of spare parts and mags, just in case.

I tend toward Glocks and have several, along with spare parts. That's one way to address logistics.
    In addition, my firearms interest has me owning revolvers, a few SIGs, and a few in the 1911 platform.
    What gets tougher, is the time & expense of shooting and practicing with these other platforms.
    From there, I'll get to a certain comfort or proficiency level where, at times, I'll tend to carry one or another instead of a Glock.

Carry-wise, I'm then usually carrying a Glock or a 1911 (with a J-frame S&W for a backup).
    That's how I handle my logistics: a few brands/types; a few specimens in each brand; lots of time & money into this endeavor.

As others have said, while I have several "special snowflakes" in my safe, none of them get into carry rotation, either because of the expense/difficulty of replacing if they end up in evidence, or because of the difficulty in repairing them should something untoward occur. As much as I love to hate on GLOCKs, they simply can't be beat on logistics. I have a small plastic container with 2-10 of everything except frame/slide/barrel for my G19/26/23(s), the total contents of the box probably cost me the equivalent of one dinner for two and a movie tickets. Another container has 2 spares of all parts (less frame/slide/barrel) for my G30. And, as I've posted before, the ease of repair/replacements on GLOCKs is also second to none, as I've learned through experience during OCONUS travels.

I love my P2000, but parts are definitely harder to come by, and pricier.

I'm not sure logistics should be considered by everyone, but I can say it's definitely important to some. It's not a matter of zombies or UN invasions for me, I simply prefer to own things that grant me the greatest degree of self sufficiency. I'm generally pragmatic that way about everything, and I view it as an individual personality trait or preference, not a standard.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    It's not a matter of zombies...
    There's only two kinds of people in this world, those with a Zombie plan, and those without. We call the second group "lunch."

Quote Originally Posted by psalms144.1 View Post
    There's only two kinds of people in this world, those with a Zombie plan, and those without. We call the second group "lunch."
    You know I live in FL, so we have a Hurricane/Zombie/EMP/22lr shortage/Yankee invasion plan in place, so no free lunch here.

Quote Originally Posted by Clay View Post
    I'm married to Glocks and Beretta 92's for this very reason. I prefer to fix my own guns when I can.

Maybe I have too much tinfoil on my head, but I think every serious pistol shooter ought to have a Glock and a bag of spare parts and mags, just in case.
    The point of having a Glock (or a 1911, or both) is that you don't have to inventory spare parts. Something breaks, you use your other generapistol for the two days it takes to get the part in from Amazon.

And the only reason I have thirty Glock mags is because I really hate spending range time reloading.
    Ignore Alien Orders

I love my SIGs, but if I had to pick one gun to walk the earth with, it would be G17.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Something ive rarely seen discussed in the shooting commuinty vis-a-vis gun choice is the importance of logistics?
    Really?

Welcome to pistol-forum.com, a community of people who actually shoot their handguns...
    Last edited by Tamara; 02-06-2016 at 12:44 AM.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

User Tag List