Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: How Should Logistics Be Considered?

Quote Originally Posted by okie john View Post
    You’re asking two questions here.

As for logistics, they’re probably a much better reason to choose one pistol over another than most of the percieved differences in their performance. As a senior Navy SEAL said in a post on another forum that many of us have been following, “With access to weapons and all the ammo you could shoot, there really isn’t an excuse not to become proficient with a Glock or any other issued firearm.” While few of us have unlimited ammo budgets, the concept remains sound—you can master any modern pistol if you just work at it, even if initial runs on the timer are discouraging.

As for skill, I don’t think you lose everything and have to start over from zero if you switch platforms. Just stick with a similar pistol—replace a Gen3 S&W with a 92G, for instance—and you should be fine.

To combine the two questions, it makes sense to avoid getting attached to a platform if you know its maker is about to stop supporting it, or has already done so. Also, instead of going with just one platform, it makes sense to have a backup in the wings, complete with holsters, mags, spares, etc. So if you’re a Glock guy, then have another SFA pistol from a different maker standing by in case your Glocks suddenly become radioactive.

You won’t need to invest as much in the second platform. You can take some time and get your ducks in a row at your leisure once you have the first platform properly supported.

Okie John
    To use the 3rd Gen -> 92 example.

I could switch from my Beretta to the 4006 . But I'd have to accomplish my reloads differently as the 4006 frame is slightly bigger then the 92. Sights are also different, which alters realized performance.

I probably wouldn't have to start totally from scratch -as I would with a striker fired gun- but there's still a learning curve.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I personally wouldn't rely on a pistol for serious business that isn't currently factory supported. Does't mean I don't own any or enjoy shooting them on occasion. I just won't carry or seriously train with them.

Unless we are talking about the end of the world, having a spare carry gun and a few parts is about all the logistics you need to be worried about in the US. If it breaks and you can't fix it, ship it to the factory and use your spare.

When it comes to changing guns, it's not like stating over for a skilled shooter.

My "personal logistics" concern is all about consumables, like magazines and holsters. Then I worry about night sights and repair parts. Magazines and holsters are something that do suffer from "wear out" issues. My personal preference is to be able to walk into any gun store worthy of the name and find magazines for my pistol. I also want to be able to call Milt Sparks and order a holster for the pistol without needing to send them one of my guns. If a gun meets both of those, likely there is sufficient manufacturer and aftermarket support for that platform. Once one of those goes away (try and find S&W 3rd Generation or HK P7 magazines), I get concerned.

So I tend to avoid flavors of the month, waiting for widespread adoption before I decide to try a pistol. It took me a lot longer than many to try the P30 and the P320 as I still cannot get magazines locally. But I am tripping over Glock magazines in my local shops. Holsters for the Glock and HK are not an issue for me. Holsters for the P320 are an issue. As such, the P320 fails both of my criteria and is only for fun and familiarization. The P30 is also problematic for me as I have to order magazines online. But Glock stuff is everywhere. I guess that is a clue, as is the fact that I can replace pretty much any (struggle getting the magazine catch spring into the gun) Glock part without help.

Revolvers Revolvers 1911s Stephanie B's Avatar
    I bought a bunch of 3rd Gen magazines not too long ago, after I acquired both a 6906 and a 6946.

Quote Originally Posted by GJM View Post
    Logistics is certainly a factor in choosing a platform for a large organization. It may or may not be a factor for a personal carry gun. It doesn't mean diddly if you are just purchasing a gun you want.
    It depends on how obsessive one is. Personally it drives me crazy to have a gun that needs a part that isn't available.

Bear in mind that the factory isn't the only place to source parts:

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...4006-34069.htm
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

I like my P7 but it's kind of a toy to me for this reason. It is the redhead that I see for a couple of weeks a year before I come to my senses.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Unless we are talking about the end of the world, having a spare carry gun and a few parts is about all the logistics you need to be worried about in the US. If it breaks and you can't fix it, ship it to the factory and use your spare.
    Exactly. Nothing like stating the obvious… but somebody had to do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Beat Trash View Post
    ... S&W 3913... It's my favorite 3rd gen Smith that they produced. But it lives in a state of retirement because parts are harder and harder to find.
    Ditto my 3953. I probably should sell it to somebody looking for a spare; my cup runneth over with HKs and G19s, and I'll likely never shoot that old S&W again. But its still a pretty neat little pistol.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    To use the 3rd Gen -> 92 example.

I could switch from my Beretta to the 4006 . But I'd have to accomplish my reloads differently as the 4006 frame is slightly bigger then the 92. Sights are also different, which alters realized performance.

I probably wouldn't have to start totally from scratch -as I would with a striker fired gun- but there's still a learning curve.
    Not sure how you'd accomplish reloads differently. Fine points aside, you still hit the mag catch, the mag drops free, and you insert a new one, right? It's not like you're going to a cap-and-ball Colt...

Okie John

User Tag List