Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: How Should Logistics Be Considered?

How Should Logistics Be Considered?

Something ive rarely seen discussed in the shooting commuinty vis-a-vis gun choice is the importance of logistics?

Even if one picks a quality pistol, stuff happens. Overpressure rounds, squib loads which lead to a follow-on Kb, parts failures, etc. The more one shoots and practices the more likely parts failures will happen. Its not an indictment of one gun company versus another's QC. Stuff just occasionally breaks.

If that happens to a hard to find or discontinued gun (aka "The Hipster Gun") , not only is the end firearm broken but the user is also out all the skill and practice built to that point with that specific gun, which means they must now start over with something different and accept the cost of new holsters and gear accordingly.

Of course, some of us like out of production hardware with unique traits not available on modern arms ( HK P7 fans, raise your hands).

How heavily should logistics and parts supply factor into using a pistol for defensive purposes compared to other factors like ease of use, shooter preference , and so on?

The question came to mind after phone call this morning to S&W inquiring about spare parts for my 4006 and other 3rd Gens.
    ( In short, slides and frames are gone like Hillary Clinton's IT guy, and smaller parts are *ask and ye might recieve*).
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 02-05-2016 at 11:07 AM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

I was enamored of the old Star semiauto 9mms that show up cheap and now avoid them for that reason. I'm pretty hinky about the logistics thing and fret about it perhaps too much. But my battery is loaded with Glocks, one 1911 and a slew of S&W wheelies and this OCD makes it hard to break out for cool obscure options.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

I still own the S&W 3913 that was my first off-duty pistol. It's my favorite 3rd gen Smith that they produced. But it lives in a state of retirement because parts are harder and harder to find. So yes, I guess you could say that I factor logistics into my decision making process.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Something ive rarely seen discussed in the shooting commuinty vis-a-vis gun choice is the importance of logistics?

Even if one picks a quality pistol, stuff happens. Overpressure rounds, squib loads which lead to a follow-on Kb, parts failures, etc. The more one shoots and practices the more likely parts failures will happen. Its not an indictment of one gun company versus another's QC. Stuff just occasionally breaks.

If that happens to a hard to find or discontinued gun (aka "The Hipster Gun") , not only is the end firearm broken but the user is also out all the skill and practice built to that point with that specific gun, which means they must now start over with something different and accept the cost of new holsters and gear accordingly.

Of course, some of us like out of production hardware with unique traits not available on modern arms ( HK P7 fans, raise your hands).

How heavily should logistics and parts supply factor into using a pistol for defensive purposes compared to other factors like ease of use, shooter preference , and so on?

The question came to mind after phone call this morning to S&W inquiring about spare parts for my 4006 and other 3rd Gens.
    ( In short, slides and frames are gone like Hillary Clinton's IT guy, and smaller parts are *ask and ye might recieve*).

You’re asking two questions here.

As for logistics, they’re probably a much better reason to choose one pistol over another than most of the percieved differences in their performance. As a senior Navy SEAL said in a post on another forum that many of us have been following, “With access to weapons and all the ammo you could shoot, there really isn’t an excuse not to become proficient with a Glock or any other issued firearm.” While few of us have unlimited ammo budgets, the concept remains sound—you can master any modern pistol if you just work at it, even if initial runs on the timer are discouraging.

As for skill, I don’t think you lose everything and have to start over from zero if you switch platforms. Just stick with a similar pistol—replace a Gen3 S&W with a 92G, for instance—and you should be fine.

To combine the two questions, it makes sense to avoid getting attached to a platform if you know its maker is about to stop supporting it, or has already done so. Also, instead of going with just one platform, it makes sense to have a backup in the wings, complete with holsters, mags, spares, etc. So if you’re a Glock guy, then have another SFA pistol from a different maker standing by in case your Glocks suddenly become radioactive.

You won’t need to invest as much in the second platform. You can take some time and get your ducks in a row at your leisure once you have the first platform properly supported.

Okie John

The question didn't come to mind with your Tanfoglio or 10mm?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    The question didn't come to mind with your Tanfoglio or 10mm?
    In all fairness that pistol is still in production with available parts and spares.Just not for US clients on account of EAAs woeful incompetence.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

What country do you live in?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    What country do you live in?
    Not California.

While Tanfoglio has a factory parts outlet,it's not available to US consumers. That leaves the aftermarket ,which can be satisfactory or a total fail depending on the type and frame size of your Tanfoglio model.
    The Minority Marksman.
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

And so how did that affect you and your special snowflake gun? If parts aren't available in the country you live in, does it matter if they're available elsewhere?

Logistics is certainly a factor in choosing a platform for a large organization. It may or may not be a factor for a personal carry gun. It doesn't mean diddly if you are just purchasing a gun you want.
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

User Tag List