Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Week 150: Distance, Efficient Reload, Perception

Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
    Uspsa metric
    Production gun/rig

Fired only 6 rounds (3R3)

Body shots then head, reload, body shots then head.

5A 1B
    7.35 seconds
    3.81HF

Reading back over this it looks like I'm the o my one who did t provide the shot breakdown.. So here you go

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 161
Size:  23.8 KB
    i used to wannabe

Equipment used: Gen3 G34 in a Keeper, concealed under a polo shirt
    Total number of shots fired: 6
    Time: 6.46
    Hit factor (final score): 4.64
    Anything you noticed: Huh, took a lot longer than the when I first shot the Derp test.

[img]20160225_060221 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

What dumb ass came up with this drill. I shot it once today with my CZ, near the end of my practice session.

5A, 1C, 7.99, HF= 3.50

I had a few rounds left after having a buddy chrono our 124 Berry's load, and shot a quick group at 25 yards with the CZ:

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

The DERP drill was hard. I only ran it once and I used an IPSC target with 2 overlapping 3x5 cards as the head box.

Beretta 92D Centurion, JMCK AIWB, Blackhawk mag pouch under a knit shirt.

Time: 10.97
    Points: 18 (3A, 1C, two missed head shots - yanked them low)
    HF: 1.64
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 02-28-2016 at 10:28 AM.

Finally got to a range where I can do 25-yard holster work. This range has overhead timber baffles and I hung both targets just high enough to partly obscure the heads, so I had to crouch a little to get my sights on them.

This was the first run of the day, so it was cold:

24 points (4 A, 1 B, 1 C) in 10.25 seconds. Hit Factor = 2.34

Felt like I fumbled both the draw and the reload on this run. Also, I slapped the trigger for the second body shot after the reload and sent it down range a lot sooner than anticipated. It’s the one in the center of the A-zone.

Second run, shot just after the first:

28 points (5 A, 1 B) in 8.81 seconds. Hit Factor = 3.17

A little smoother, but everything is left of center, which is probably a grip/trigger contact issue.

Equipment used: VP9 with small backstrap, medium side panels, and Talon grip tape in a K-Rounds IWB holster at about 3:30.
    Total number of shots fired: six per run
    Concealment: hoodie under lightweight down jacket, which is what I put on when I left the house this morning
    Reload: Slidelock

Things I noticed:
    • I shoot at 25 and 50 yards a lot, enough that my speed on shorter-range drills probably suffers for it. On the other hand, time spent at the long line pays off when someone comes up with a 25-yard drill.
    • I used S&B 124-grain ammo, which typically puts 10 rounds into less than 3” at 25 yards offhand from this pistol. Some folks don’t think ammo matters much, but I beg to differ—just after I shot these two targets, I tested this load against 124-grain Blazer Brass. The BB load put 10 rounds into about 6.5” offhand at 25 yards, while the S&B group was about half that size with six rounds touching. I’m not too proud to buy skill, especially when it’s as cheap and easy to find as swapping ammo.
    • I fired the minimum number of shots. I was pretty sure I’d be in the A-zone and didn’t want to add time trying to make up for hits out of the A-zone, especially when I couldn’t see where the hits landed. With a 45, I would have been able to see the hits and I might have done things differently. I think this is what GJM refers to in the “Perception” part of this drill’s name.
    • This VP9 requires a “drive the dot” hold, and it puts my carry load, the 147-grain HST, in the lower 1/2 to 1/3 of the dot out to 50 yards. (Fortunately, it also puts the 124-grain S&B load in exactly the same place.) I was probably holding lower than I thought I was, and I think that's why six of the eight body shots are in the lower 1/3 of the A-Zone. I've been shooting the VP9 for about three months, and I'm deeply impressed with everything about it EXCEPT for the sights and the sight picture they demand.
    • The “drive the dot” hold also complicated the head shots. I normally zero for top of the front sight to split the group horizontally, so I’m used to cutting the head in half with the top of the front sight blade to make a head shot. With this load and these sights, I have to hold for the target’s forehead, and even then they hit the maxilla instead of the nose/eye sockets.
    • The K-Rounds holster I used this week is the same one I used for the drills I shot last week. The difference is that last week it was set up at a 0-degree rake while this week it’s set up with a 15-ish degree FBI rake to make it conceal better. Some of the draw issues on the first run may have been due to this change, or maybe my draw stroke is just pathetic and that didn't show up as badly on the second run.

Okie John

G19, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB, Concealed under a tee shirt
    Total number of shots fired: 14
    Time: 14.85
    Hit factor (final score): 1.41
    3.84 1.58 1.75 3.85 1.57 2.32

Time: 15.89
    Hit factor (final score): 1.00
    3.14 1.48 2.74 4.47 1.20 2.36

Time: 15.38
    Hit factor (final score): 1.69
    3.10 1.56 2.02 4.79 1.87 2.04

Anything you noticed: 25 yards is a ball buster

Mike

Equipment used: G19, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB, Concealed under a tee shirt
    Time: 18.40
    Hit factor: 1.03
    4.43 1.91 2.24 5.79 1.78 2.25

Equipment used: G19, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB, Concealed under a tee shirt
    Time: 17.60
    Hit factor: 1.02
    3.69 1.76 2.24 4.75 2.58 2.58

Time: 14.52
    Hit factor: 1.17
    3.22 1.57 2.23 4.19 1.43 1.88

Time: 15.25
    Hit factor: 1.50
    3.35 1.89 2.13 3.91 1.93 2.04

Mike

Sig P320 in cheap holster that came with the pistol. No concealment
    6 round fired 3R3
    Time: 17.87
    Hit Factor: 1.28
    One good thing about my shot timer breaking was that last week I focused one accuracy.
    Specifically 25 yard accuracy,that helped me out a lot this week
    Name:  image.jpg
Views: 95
Size:  29.0 KB

User Tag List