Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: "Grandma Gun" .380 load

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post

In FMJs the .380 has plenty of soft tissue penetration. In gel testing the JHPs I'd be comfortable with include the XTP, Hydrashock and the Gold Dot. My daughter's .380 pocket gun has Gold Dots in it currently, if that tells you anything about my observation of how that ammo works. No, 11" in gel does not meet FBI spec. Not a big deal IMHO
    And that is why my G42 has Gold Dots when it gets carried. It's soooo easy shoot for it's size and fills a niche role for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tamara View Post
    Yeah, because DAO J-frames are the hot ticket for arthritic hands and people with very little upper body strength.

The shooting community just loves to think that everybody is a young, fit male with good eyesight who is going to spend a couple hours a week at the range and dry-fire diligently.

How about grandma? Doesn't she get to shoot bad guys, too?

I've spent the last several months watching exactly this demographic trying to deal with Glock 43s, Shields, and Airweight J's foisted off on them by well meaning clerks.

Do you know what a Glock 43 or Shield does when loaded with 100gr @ 1100fps Critical Defense Lite* and gripped in a less-than-rock-solid grip?

*One thing nobody mentions about these "Lite" and "Managed Recoil" loads is that they barely have the ass to run the gun under ideal conditions, and Clara Peller's wavering grasp is as far from "ideal conditions" as it gets. We're selling those people boxes of FTEs and double feeds waiting to happen...
    One of the most insightful posts I've read in a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Best link is to Tam's website: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...w-project.html

The P250 compact comes with a medium size grip module. I purchased the small grip module for my sister's smaller (and sadly arthritic) hands. Be advised presently Sig sells the compact module for their 9mm size P250 but not the .380. That module fits and the gun functions just fine. However, as the 9 has a longer slide than the .380, there is a bit of a forward projection of the dust cover/rail section by about 1/2 inch. If she prefers the small module I could call the extension a "standoff" feature for contact shots. More probably I'll just saw off the offending portion.
    The subcompact small grip might be worth looking into, if the shorter grip length and 12 round capacity aren't issues.
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    In FMJs the .380 has plenty of soft tissue penetration. In gel testing the JHPs I'd be comfortable with include the XTP, Hydrashock and the Gold Dot. My daughter's .380 pocket gun has Gold Dots in it currently, if that tells you anything about my observation of how that ammo works. No, 11" in gel does not meet FBI spec. Not a big deal IMHO
    Chuck,

I get that FMJ>JHP penetration-wise in .380. I'm just wondering if the difference is worth sacrificing the QC levels given to premium lines v. target/plinking lines.

The only XTPs to be found locally is in Hornady's American Gunner line, and that only recently, whereas I can always find Critical Defense at Academy or elsewhere. Standard XTP/GD/HS are normally on-line only, if they can be located in stock. Which for personal use isn't such a big deal, but I'm thinking about recommendations for the average users out there.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Last edited by Chuck Whitlock; 02-10-2016 at 06:55 PM. Reason: I think slower than the time-out!
    "It's surprising how often you start wondering just how featureless a desert some people's inner landscapes must be."
    -Maple Syrup Actual

Quote Originally Posted by Det1397 View Post
    When I carry a .380 as a BUG or as an occasional off duty (I know...), I use the XTP loading also.
    Been wondering though, anyone have any real life thoughts on the Lehigh Defense Xtreme Penetrator? http://www.lehighdefense.com/product...ant=1066236304
    I'd look more at the Underwood Xtreme Defender (there is some fluff language in the description). Designed around meeting the FBI minimums.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/380-ac...reme-defender/

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    The subcompact small grip might be worth looking into, if the shorter grip length and 12 round capacity aren't issues.
    DAO 15 round 380 the size of a Glock 19. Hmm sounds like a 15 shot low recoil revolver to me. I may be in love

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Whitlock View Post
    Chuck,

I get that FMJ>JHP penetration-wise in .380. I'm just wondering if the difference is worth sacrificing the QC levels given to premium lines v. target/plinking lines.

The only XTPs to be found locally is in Hornady's American Gunner line, and that only recently, whereas I can always find Critical Defense at Academy or elsewhere. Standard XTP/GD/HS are normally on-line only, if they can be located in stock. Which for personal use isn't such a big deal, but I'm thinking about recommendations for the average users out there.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.
    Concur with worries about FMJ QC vs premium JHPs, but then I assume that in the .380s they use the same QC they use for the premium service caliber ammo.

"What ammo" is why I always have a list since finding one type can be an issue.

In .380 I'd carry Hydrashock, Hornady (any flavor), or Gold Dots, and past that I'd carry whatever ball ammo was reliable in my gun from a batch that had been proven to work so far.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I appreciate the response. It's nice to have a reality check now and then to know I haven't gone off in the weeds.
    -Maple Syrup Actual

An excellent discussion can be found at:

A Simple Guide for Buying and Carrying a Self-Defense Handgun by Brian Puckett

Of course, geriatric-relevant issues need to be considered.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/infor...em.asp?ID=3195

Quote Originally Posted by Sigfan26 View Post
    I'd look more at the Underwood Xtreme Defender (there is some fluff language in the description). Designed around meeting the FBI minimums.
    https://www.underwoodammo.com/380-ac...reme-defender/
    I think the LeHigh is a decent loading for the .380 assuming they have no QC issues. That Underwood loading is a blatant copy of the LeHigh it would appear, and the ad copy ref the wound ballistics aspects of this ammo on the page of the link you shared is complete bullshit.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

User Tag List