Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: "Grandma Gun" .380 load

"Grandma Gun" .380 load

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    I think the LeHigh is a decent loading for the .380 assuming they have no QC issues. That Underwood loading is a blatant copy of the LeHigh it would appear, and the ad copy ref the wound ballistics aspects of this ammo on the page of the link you shared is complete bullshit.
    That would be the "fluff" that I mentioned (I tend not to swear on here because I know it's frowned upon). Lehigh puts the same fluff in the description of their bullet. Underwood also load the Lehigh... So, if I had to guess both are probably made by the same company. It's lighter weight and, supposedly, less likely to over penetrate.
    Last edited by Sigfan26; 02-11-2016 at 01:20 PM.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Quote Originally Posted by mjshee1049 View Post
    An excellent discussion can be found at:

A Simple Guide for Buying and Carrying a Self-Defense Handgun by Brian Puckett

Of course, geriatric-relevant issues need to be considered.

http://www.keepandbeararms.com/infor...em.asp?ID=3195
    We apparently have different thresholds of excellence.

That article was full of derp.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

That article was full of derp.
    What she said times ten. Bad advice from a crappy shooter.

Site Supporter
    Tam's pointed out something that's so obvious but so regularly overlooked by people; myself included.

My Mom liked a Airweight .357 because it was light and easy to check the status of and operate.

Thinking about it; she has one of the highest recoiling guns, lightest weight frames, and longest/heaviest triggers out there.

I truly think she'd be better off with a Glock 17. But, she doesn't like how big it is.

So, honest question. What do I do with her? Encourage a full/mid size 9? Because I want to resolve this, even a G26 handles better.

God Bless,

Brandon

ETA: Almost comically the other gun she likes that I own is a Ruger LCP; I'm dead serious.

It reminds me of Hosea 4:6 "My people are destroyed for lack of knowledge."

I'll talk it over with her this weekend; she's considering another gun and I really think a Glock 26 works well. I say this after being able to keep 7-ish out of 10 in the head box at 25 yards shooting a rental for the first time months ago (I was stunned). Also you can put grip extensions on the mags or put 17 rounders in the gun.
    Last edited by BWT; 02-15-2016 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post
    Tam's pointed out something that's so obvious but so regularly overlooked by people; myself included.

My Mom liked a Airweight .357 because it was light and easy to check the status of and operate.

Thinking about it; she has one of the highest recoiling gun, lightest weight frame, and longest/heaviest triggers out there.

I truly think she'd be better off with a Glock 17. But, she doesn't like how big it is.

So, honest question. What do I do with her? Encourage a full/mid size 9? Because I want to resolve this, even a G26 handles better.

God Bless,

Brandon
    Yes...that's kind of what I did with how I introduced my girlfriend to various pistols and their pros and cons. She ended up picking a Sig P226, which she loves and shoots well. Don't discount DA triggers.

A steel frame Kahr, P239, or 4" K-frame with 38s would be my suggestions if she doesn't like a big double stack gun. Make it a DAK P239 if she isn't going to dedicate the time to make the DA/SA a safe choice.

ETA: Consider the P250 as well, which is what this thread started about. 9mm or 380.
    Last edited by TGS; 02-15-2016 at 11:11 PM.
    "Are you ready? Okay. Let's roll."- Last words of Todd Beamer

Quote Originally Posted by BWT View Post

I had a S&W M&P .357 J-Frame. Even with standard velocity .38spl it was a pain to shoot. It was excessively loud, had excessive recoil, and of course the trigger pull took effort. Sure I loved to carry it because it was so light and small, but I hated to shoot it.........and this is the BIG problem that your mom will have. The first, and primary consideration of a defensive pistol is that it be relatively easy to shoot well. You should not be shaking with fear to simply fire your pistol without ear protection.......whether there is a threat present or not. Comfort and convenience is much further down on the list of requirements in a defensive pistol.
    Last edited by Hauptmann; 02-16-2016 at 08:55 AM.

I'd think about a Ruger LCR in .22mag or the .357mag (loaded with .38 wadcutters) if she really liked revolvers.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

I'd think about a Ruger LCR in .22mag or the .357mag (loaded with .38 wadcutters) if she really liked revolvers.
    That or a steel frame S&W model 60 .38spl+P. That is about as light as I prefer to go in a .38spl revolver, and the weight of the steel frame makes it much more manageable to shoot.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Sadly, there's an awful .22 Mag ammo drought right now.

In their urgency to catch up to the Great Rimfire Ammo Shortage, I don't think a lot of the manufacturers even bothered to tool up to produce any WMR last year, figuring that existing stocks would hold them until the .22LR situation normalized. Then Kel-Tec finally started shipping PMR-30s...
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

I think the LeHigh is a decent loading for the .380 assuming they have no QC issues. That Underwood loading is a blatant copy of the LeHigh it would appear, and the ad copy ref the wound ballistics aspects of this ammo on the page of the link you shared is complete bullshit.
    FWIW, A couple boxes of that have run fine through my G42. Stupid expensive though.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

User Tag List