Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: "Grandma Gun" .380 load

"Grandma Gun" .380 load

I know this is a subject that probably won't take a lot of analysis but I'll ask anyway. What is the best FMJ .380 load for defensive use? Is there a brand that shines in lack of muzzle flash (I'm not looking at you Remington) and a somewhat higher sectional density?

I've been really pleased with PPU, Geco, Magtech, and PMC FMJ's out of my LCP's. I think the best option in .380 is Hornady XTP's, though. A close second is Federal Hydra Shock.

I get all of my ammo from SGAmmo.com

For a FMJ load, I'm partial to the Winchester FMJ FP Q4206. Another one I like is the Italian Fiocchi FMJ load 380AP that has a cannelure to prevent bullet set back. Beware, their is another Fiocchi load made in Hungary (380APC) that doesn't have the cannelure. Federal 90 grain Hydra Shok P380HS1G shoots wonderfully in multiple guns if you want JHP. Personally, I don't expect much expansion if any out of any .380 load and will choose the most accurate load I can get in a particular gun.
    Last edited by LtDave; 02-05-2016 at 01:54 PM.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Thanks LtDave, that's exactly the sort of recommendation I'm looking for. I presume neither the FP Q4206 or the 380AP are very "flashy". The P250 I'm testing shoots the Sig 100r 380 FMJ with amazing accuracy and no flash to speak of.

Haven't noticed excessive flash with any of them.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

Referencing Doc's posts, the problem with .380 JHP isn't that it doesn't expand, it's that it does, with commensurate underpenetration.
    Ignore Alien Orders

Quote Originally Posted by JAD View Post
    Referencing Doc's posts, the problem with .380 JHP isn't that it doesn't expand, it's that it does, with commensurate underpenetration.
    +1

Avoid using the .380 at all costs. Whether you listen to Fackler and Dr. Roberts, or prefer Ayoob and M&S......the .380 is abysmal as a defensive round. If you want a small, and light subcompact the smallest I would consider is a J-frame sized .38spl or better yet a 9mm.

Check out Tam's Grandma gun concept. This is an alternative to a .22 long rifle cartridge rather than anything larger.

Quote Originally Posted by 314159 View Post
    Check out Tam's Grandma gun concept. This is an alternative to a .22 long rifle cartridge rather than anything larger.
    Gota link? Not finding it in a search. I suppose if you are trying to use the .380 as a .22lr replacement......then I guess you have a louder, more expensive alternative for your target pistol.

Best link is to Tam's website: http://booksbikesboomsticks.blogspot...w-project.html

The P250 compact comes with a medium size grip module. I purchased the small grip module for my sister's smaller (and sadly arthritic) hands. Be advised presently Sig sells the compact module for their 9mm size P250 but not the .380. That module fits and the gun functions just fine. However, as the 9 has a longer slide than the .380, there is a bit of a forward projection of the dust cover/rail section by about 1/2 inch. If she prefers the small module I could call the extension a "standoff" feature for contact shots. More probably I'll just saw off the offending portion.

User Tag List