Thread: errr, I think I broke my j-frame

errr, I think I broke my j-frame

I took off the side plate on my 642 to do a little cleaning. I noticed that the hammer was acting up, so I removed it. Well, it looks like the pin that the hammer sits on broke clean off. You can see the broken end of the pin resting on the rebound slide in the pic. Since this is part of the frame, is the gun trashed?

imho:

I'd contact S&W and speak to their CS warranty department for repairs.

Will do that tomorrow.

This was a 642 no-lock with about 2000rds through it. I'll have to ask them if I can just send the broken frame back and get a new no-lock frame back. This one also had a cylinder chamfer and apex duty kit installed, so I don't want to eat that cost if S&W insists I have to send the whole gun back to get a new one.
    Last edited by shootist26; 02-04-2016 at 10:12 PM.

I think there is a thread on here somewhere about someone experiencing the same thing with his 442...

I was literally headed up to my LGS to buy my second 642 right after I got done looking at the internet. My first thought was ugh, do I really want to do this still, and my second thought was well, I guess I need a spare. Lol.

sent it in to S&W 2 weeks ago and nothing has been done. It has been sitting on a shelf "pending repair estimate."

The customer service rep said it would be another 3 weeks before they would call me with a path forward...WTF?

The only good news I have for you is… they WILL resolve this to your satisfaction. It just may take a while.

My lab manager sent his M-638 with a cracked frame in, on lab letterhead; and they still took MONTHS to get him a new gun. Fortunately, I knew why it took so long. They build guns in batches; if they're not in a J frame batch/lot, they probably don't have anything sitting around to send to you (this is generally a new-gun issue; IOW, they won't fix yours, they will just send you a new one).

Now, I don't know this is the case with your gun, but it definitely was with that M-638. The M-642 is much more common, so perhaps you won't have to wait as long.

But be patient; they're on it.

Now… if by some chance they want to charge you for the replacement, THEN you need to keep going up the food chain to speak with management.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    They build guns in batches; if they're not in a J frame batch/lot, they probably don't have anything sitting around to send to you
    This makes sense. Thanks.

User Tag List