Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: History of Defensive Handgun Techniques

I appreciate all the concerns/comments. I'm not "back in action"- not yet, anyway. Still weak, but getting better every day (been 9 days now since the hack job).

The chancre mechanics who carved me are worried that I might have a seizure. No shit? Really? Like that frigging MATTERS now, with a left temporal lobe full of cancer??? What a hoot, eh?😂

Ah, I'm sure they mean well. But I'll be ready to drive, practice shoot, and fly my radio control model airplanes next week. SIX weeks, minimum, before I can do that. Sigh.

Anyway... Thanks again for all the support. No idea how long I'll last... but I'll be kicking to the end.

In the meantime... Lots of good thread info lately. The 1911 thread sure has had me thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    I appreciate all the concerns/comments. I'm not "back in action"- not yet, anyway. Still weak, but getting better every day (been 9 days now since the hack job).

The chancre mechanics who carved me are worried that I might have a seizure. No shit? Really? Like that frigging MATTERS now, with a left temporal lobe full of cancer??? What a hoot, eh?��

Ah, I'm sure they mean well. But I'll be ready to drive, practice shoot, and fly my radio control model airplanes next week. SIX weeks, minimum, before I can do that. Sigh.

Anyway... Thanks again for all the support. No idea how long I'll last... but I'll be kicking to the end.

In the meantime... Lots of good thread info lately. The 1911 thread sure has had me thinking.

The devil will be ready to get his kick in the ass when you are ready to give it. Heal well.
    "If I ever needed to hunt in a tuxedo, then this would be the rifle I'd take." - okie john

"Not being able to govern events, I govern myself." - Michel De Montaigne

Sorry, not "back in action" but I guess I meant I'm happy to see you up and typing. It's a win.

Maybe we can circle back to Kathy's question and give you something entertaining to read in the meantime. I did read Elmer Kieth's books, and they do really lay out the lessons that came out of the civil war and the indian wars about using single action revolvers from horseback.
    I want to say the first edition of Sixguns by Kieth was roughly contemporaneous with a couple of other interesting books I've read; Rap Sheetby Blackie Audett and Crooks are Human Too by Daniel J. Campion. Audett was a motor bandit and escape artist, and Campion was the head of the NYPD's pickpocket and confidence squad.
    Neither of these guys have anything to say about gear.
    It seems like it just wasn't in their minds at that time, they got away or they didn't, they caught the guy or they didn't. Possibly Campion is a bit of a special case, as he was a boxer specializing in apprehending pickpockets, and he'd be right up on his guy on a subway platform or at a racetrack. Then he'd knock them out.
    All this while FairbIrn and Sykes are doing their thing in interwar Shanghai...
    Next we get into the WW2 literature, where they mostly still don't talk much about whatever gun they have...

History of Defensive Handgun Techniques

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post

That is fucking outstanding news.
    Last edited by RJ; 09-02-2016 at 09:32 PM.

User Tag List