Thread: "virtual" range at Gander Mountian

"virtual" range at Gander Mountian

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zl4Wn...yer_embedded#!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FDzUe...feature=relmfu

I brought this up in another thread, but thought these videos needed a separate thread. Every law enforcement officer has had some type of video based firearms training. It is not for marksmanship as much as it is for decision making. It is "when should I shoot" training. As the trainee, you speak to the screen and interact with a video image, while the instructor can base the video image action on what your voice commands are.

I love this type of training. I am very pleased that it is becoming available for civilians and CHL students.

I know this will NEVER replace live fire training. But I think it is a great companion to live fire.

So, anyone out there going to try this out? Possibly make it a regular part of your training?
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

This interests me a little bit, and I think I will at least attempt to try this or something like it. However, I see major problems that would make it a no go as part of consistent training. First of all the recoil on these systems doesn't seem resemble the recoil on a real handgun at all. I've only used a system like this with rifles, and the recoil was not comparable. Second, don't shoot a Glock, too bad, you chose poorly. Third, and this is in relation to the situational training, I'm never as a civilian going to be hanging around with my gun drawn. This makes the situational shoot no shoot scenarios kind of pointless to me. It also might be dangerous in that it may have people think they should draw their gun at the first sign of a conflict. Fourth the money spent on simulation time could pay for ammo or class time with live ammo and highly qualified instructors, which would be infinitly more valuable than the simulation. I'm sure I will think of more things, but for now, that's it.

On the other hand, I like video games, so I will do this. I don't see it as much more though. Maybe I will change my mind.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Well, JConn, no system is perfect. They do offer a Beretta 92F pistol if you prefer DA/SA. But in fairness to them, it is difficult to have every model pistol out there. But since Glock holds a huge chunk of the pistol market, I understand their position. I shot about 50 "rounds" and the recoil is no where near real, but it is better than nothing. These guns must have the "+" connector, because the trigger pull is STIFF.

While live fire is always preferred, this is something that has moving targets, reacting to a "video" person drawing or making a threatening move... It is just one more tool in a persons tool box. It might help a civilian to re think what it means to carry a defensive weapon. It could help someone realize that they need more LIVE training...

Like I say, I like the concept. It just remains to be seen how it will be marketed and sold.
    “A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that.” - Shane

Definitely. I'm just saying for me, probably not the best use of money and time, but maybe I'll change my mind. I'm not blaming them for the shortcomings of the system, but there are shortcomings.
    Evil requires the sanction of the victim. - Ayn Rand

Interesting concept. I need to see if the Gander near me offers this type of training. I wouldn't mind trying it for kicks and giggles.

ok, so they don't have a training facility in my area. The closest one is about 150 miles from me.
    Last edited by mscott327; 10-09-2011 at 04:34 PM.
    There are hundreds of millions of gun owners in this country, and not one of them will have an accident today. The only misuse of guns comes in environments where there are drugs, alcohol, bad parents, and undisciplined children. Period."-Ted Nugent

I think the guy told me there are 7 facilities nation wide...

User Tag List