Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Injured/recovering carry

My injury was pretty mild compared to the rest of you. I cut my trigger finger on my strong (right) side and needed stitches plus one of those plastic shields. My wife is a lefty, so I just grabbed one of her holsters. I shot a few IDPA matches that way.

Some time later, I happened to be talking to Mas and told him the story of using my wife's holsters. He wanted to know if that made me a "ballistics transvestite".

Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Dobbs View Post
    Doc,

Great comments on the holster/gun choice, but as one who has "experienced" the atrial fib/MI and bypass (7X!) show, I hope your surgery and recovery go very well for you!
    Thank you Wayne! Yes...I'm one of the, "lucky," ones that falls into the, "Atrial Fibrillation, otherwise healthy," demographic. When they were in the heart they scoped out my coronary arteries and everything is patent, so I should hopefully get another 40 years of trouble free service out of them! And, as you know, the chest isn't half as bad as the groin swelling/pain!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Nesbitt View Post
    My injury was pretty mild compared to the rest of you. I cut my trigger finger on my strong (right) side and needed stitches plus one of those plastic shields. My wife is a lefty, so I just grabbed one of her holsters. I shot a few IDPA matches that way.

Some time later, I happened to be talking to Mas and told him the story of using my wife's holsters. He wanted to know if that made me a "ballistics transvestite".
    HA! I got a staff infection from a sliver in my left index finger, back in the 90's. The big ate a big part of my finger off, and that kept me out of work, for a month, since nobody wanted to have a one handed riding shotgun!

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    In August of last year I had a bowel resection for colon cancer...they gutted me like a deer...so
    no more AIWB for awhile. Now after four months of chemo I have greatly reduced feeling and dexterity in my hands I carry a 4in 686 strong side.
    I usually carried a LEM hk45c and it was usable while the feeling was going (because of the travel like Nyeti talks about) now it's at point that I feel more comfortable with the 686...weight plus travel
    Good grief man! Hang in there!

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Everyone should have the Glock plastic holster in inventory for injuries....loaner, etc. Works for just about everyone in a pinch.

As far as the doc's case...yea, we forget how comfortable a 2.5"-3" K frame is in a good belt rig. That was an LE stole for a couple decades to carry for long hours daily in comfort.
    Absolutely! I took a revolver class with Tom Givens years back and I remember him carrying and praising the usability of a 4" Model 12 Airweight. I was using a 4" 681, and told Tom, "This seemed so much better balanced when I carried it on a 2.25" belt on a holster with a steel shank." Tom told me to get the Airweight. I always wanted a Model 12, since that is what my Dad carried as a Naval Aviator in Vietnam. I guess the universe heard my wish, because I got one. And you are right...it is a DREAM to carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Good grief man! Hang in there!

Thanks, as bad as chemo is it's better than the alternative
    The drug that is doing all the damage is Oxaliplatin...nicknamed "weapons grade chemo" or "Satan in a bag" LOL it gives you hypersensitivity to cold, neuropathy of the hands and feet affects your eyesight
    I'm 47 if I was in my 60's I would take my chances and skip that drug

Quote Originally Posted by Sherman A. House DDS View Post
    Absolutely! I took a revolver class with Tom Givens years back and I remember him carrying and praising the usability of a 4" Model 12 Airweight. I was using a 4" 681, and told Tom, "This seemed so much better balanced when I carried it on a 2.25" belt on a holster with a steel shank." Tom told me to get the Airweight. I always wanted a Model 12, since that is what my Dad carried as a Naval Aviator in Vietnam. I guess the universe heard my wish, because I got one. And you are right...it is a DREAM to carry.

Nice mdl12
    Hope you heal up quick

Thanks to Kidney cancer I had to have my left Kidney along with the 10 1/2 inch long 5 inch diameter tumor removed 2 1/2 years ago.
    The incision the surgeon made was a foot long on my left side.

Prior to the surgery I had always carried a 1911 IWB on the right side. After the surgery It was dang near impossible to tighten my belt snug enough to carry my pistol and keep my drawers up due to the discomfort.

Solved the problem by adding suspenders. Those with a good quality gun belt that doesn't twist under the weight of the pistol works perfectly.

And by the grace of God, I've been cancer free since the surgery. Didn't even have to take Chemo or radiation.

Sherman, good posting on a relevant topic. We've discussed it here before, but it never gets old, and the different maladies we encounter call for different techniques/gear.

However, I have a question. Why only four rounds in your Speed Strip? Not taking away anything from the few instructor types who advocate this… but I have been carrying a J frame just about every day now for the past 37 years, and have had to shoot qual courses with same, using Speed Strips, at least annually; sometimes more. I've always loaded my strips to "capacity", and never experienced any fumbling, dropped cartridges, etc.

So… I have to wonder… what is the rationale expressed by those who advocate this? Why do YOU do it? Not looking for a fight, here; I'm genuinely curious.

BTW, I too have a 2" RB AirWeight M-12 put back for hard times.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Sherman, good posting on a relevant topic. We've discussed it here before, but it never gets old, and the different maladies we encounter call for different techniques/gear.

However, I have a question. Why only four rounds in your Speed Strip? Not taking away anything from the few instructor types who advocate this… but I have been carrying a J frame just about every day now for the past 37 years, and have had to shoot qual courses with same, using Speed Strips, at least annually; sometimes more. I've always loaded my strips to "capacity", and never experienced any fumbling, dropped cartridges, etc.

So… I have to wonder… what is the rationale expressed by those who advocate this? Why do YOU do it? Not looking for a fight, here; I'm genuinely curious.

BTW, I too have a 2" RB AirWeight M-12 put back for hard times.

No worries! On the timer, it's more expeditious to get four rounds into the gun, and get it back into action, than it is to fiddle with getting a 5th round back in. Yes, these are six shot revolvers, but my strips are setup the same way and I didn't add anything to them. The other point of this method is that the strip is essentially bilaterally symmetrical; it's the same regardless of which direction you grasp it. That way, there is no familiarity needed for odd orientations. Lastly, I'm a fan of the shoot two, load two, under the right conditions, and using the, "2+2," configuration still allows this. On my duty belt, I carried speed loaders, plus leather loops to allow a top off, or load two, after shooting two.

I got the four round speed loader idea from Claude Werner, and tested it with training from Paul Gomez. I wish that one of us could convince Tuff Products to make a dedicated 4 round speed loader, with the middle spot made out of solid plastic, that way the strip wouldn't twist and yaw in the pocket, losing shells. If they did, it would be an issue to do a six round (2x3) version.

User Tag List