Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Gun stolen from OC guy.

Quote Originally Posted by wsr View Post
    And there are interviews/studies that criminals fear armed citizens more than police...
    The easy target part is the problem
    If he was aware of his surroundings and they thought he would fight/resist they probably would have passed on him as a target armed or not
    First, I am relatively agnostic on the whole OC issue. In fact, when OP posted the original link to the news article, I contemplated a snarky comment that one incident is not data. The snark side is seductive. Anyhow, OC is not how I would choose to carry, but I don't like telling other people how to act. As long as OC'ers don't create a backlash against public carriage, I don't have a dog in the fight.

Second, we can try to be in condition yellow whenever we're in public, but inevitably we will have lapses. Moreover, criminals almost always have the advantage of choosing when and where. That's a huge advantage - especially when you consider how poor your vision is in the rear of your head.

By openly wearing a gun:
    1) The OCer will dissuade some criminals from engaging in criminal conduct;
    2) The OCer will surrender an element of surprise;
    3) The OCer will encourage some criminals to engage in criminal conduct
    4) The OCer will encourage criminals who choose to engage in criminal conduct to up their game (both strategy and level of force).

You can (and should) come up with your own list of factors. You might arrive at a different conclusion than me. I'm fine with that.

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    As I said earlier,I'm talking in generalities there are always exceptions

I'm not trying to say it doesn't bring attention to you, I'm saying that your demeanor is the determining factor in whether you are targeted or not
    It's a factor. It's far from the 'determining factor'. I'm a detective in a Robbery & Homicide office. Robbery is most of what I do. The ever popular situational awareness and demeanor is helpful, although folks tend to overestimate their SA dramatically, but you tempt someone enough (or they are high. Or stupid. Or with something to prove to their buddies), problems. Location, payoff (especially narcotics and weapons), etc. all big big factors.

Site Supporter
    And there are interviews/studies that criminals fear armed citizens more than police...
    That's true and esp. true in burglary at night. However, it depends on the purpose. Remember there have been attacks on venues full of armed folks like police stations or police sitting at lunch. I think the point is made that it isn't a force field or guaranteed deterrent as compared to an attractant to the motivated folks.

Situational awareness folks seem to suggest they are always on. That's not true from the vigilance literature. Dudes say they are always in orange or yellow. However, folks can only maintain high vigilance for about 20 minutes. For an extreme example, a US and German destroyer sailed right by each other at night as the lookouts on a long watch were zoned. Folks in the galley saw the other ship through the portholes. They decided to say nothing as having a naval battle at night wasn't attractive.

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    Because forum members here are smart enough to not own a Walther P22.
    I have two of them; does that mean I must surrender my PF.com membership?

Both of mine have been tweaked according to the bible on RimFire Central.com; they work just fine, and are a lot of fun to shoot.

You need to get out more.

Quote Originally Posted by Kukuforguns View Post
    As long as OC'ers don't create a backlash against public carriage, I don't have a dog in the fight.

But they do. Constantly, in areas where OC is not common nor taken for granted… which is most of the United States these days. OC makes the millenials, hipsters, yuppies, etc., very uneasy. And not knowing any better, they lump permitted concealed carriers in the same sub-group… nut-jobs who like guns. I have verified this any number of time via conversations with hipsters, millenials, yuppies, etc.; because a lot of those of those type folks work at the same place I do.

Site Supporter
    Some local McDonald's franchisees are going 06/07 in a subtle way. There is a sign that says NO Guns with a ghostbusters logo. It is not compliant BUT inside there is a pamphlet with the sign on it and inside it there is the 06/07 language and notice that this is written notice of a total carry ban.

So every little kid going in sees that guns are bad like smoking. Same with alll the new 07 signs. Think this is not going to influence a generation?

The average IQ in the US is 98. That is the average, 21yo walking around OC in the hood, probably lower.
    Some take longer to grow up.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

Quote Originally Posted by cclaxton View Post
    The average IQ in the US is 98. That is the average, 21yo walking around OC in the hood, probably lower.
    Some take longer to grow up.
    Cody
    What happens when an average person sees Mr "Muh Rights" at their local eatery?

The alarmist BS on the TV suddenly looks like the voice of credibility. Maybe restrictions on civil gun ownership ain't so bad if it means you don't have to see a clown with a Tapco'd .22 on your lunch break. That's gonna mean serious political problems for us going forward.
    Last edited by GardoneVT; 02-07-2016 at 12:27 PM.
    The Minority Marksman.
    "When you meet a swordsman, draw your sword: Do not recite poetry to one who is not a poet."
    -a Ch'an Buddhist axiom.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by BehindBlueI's View Post
    You're arguing against someone no one said. No one thinks these guys became robbers because he was OC. It's obvious he became a target because he was OC. Not the same question. He became the target of opportunity because he had something of value in plain view and the risks were minimal for the reward, which is pretty high. I don't care if you want to OC. I get the political reasons to do so. It's like swimming with a pork chop around your neck, though. As long as you stay in the pool, it'll never be a problem. Get in th ocean, though, and sharks are going to be sharks.

^^^^ - love the "swimming with a pork chop" bit.

something, something, owning a violin doesn't make you a musician...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

User Tag List