Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Vltor A5: My journey to...and away, from it.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    About a year ago, I began experimenting with the Vltor A5 system. My rifle is a 16.1" DDM4 midlength gas, and I used the A5H2 buffer and mil-spec action spring that came with it. Both suppressed, and unsuppressed, with a variety of ammunition, I felt that the function was very smooth. Follow-up shots were honestly faster, and recoil was perceived as less.
    My question is, why on earth would you go to an extra power carbine spring (Sprinco blue) in an A5 length rear extension? The Blue, and other springs meant to smooth out supressors in carbines are not the same length as a new A5 spring from Vltor. They're a few coils shorter. You'll loose a lot of resistance over the Green spring which is meant to fill a rifle length RE.

I run 3 suppressed 5.56 AR's (SOLGW 14.3" mid, Centurion 12.5" carbine, and a Hodge 14.5" mid) on BCM/Vltor A5 length RE's, A5H1(with Hodge's optimized gas port) and A5H2 buffers using the Sprinco green springs. All are flat shooting without hiccups, with or without the cans. The cans are a YHM Turbo and Dead Air sandman K's

I also run a 13.9" mid gas 6.5 Grendel (A5H3, green), 18" rifle length 5.56 (A5H2, green) , and an 18" mid gas .308 (with a Tubb's flatcoil spring/A5H3) with great results supressed or not

Nick Wantland from Vltor doesn't recommend any other spring for use with the A5 system but the Sprinco green in small frame AR's. He also admits that the Sprinco has an exponentially better service life. The A5 comes with a mil-spec rifle length spring. Using a carbine specific spring in the A5 system was setting it up for failure.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Krausewerks View Post
    My question is, why on earth would you go to an extra power carbine spring (Sprinco blue) in an A5 length rear extension?
    You're 4.5 years late

Quote Originally Posted by TBone550 View Post
    You're 4.5 years late
    Still no reason to leave up bad info......😉🤣

My question is, why on earth would you go to an extra power carbine spring (Sprinco blue) in an A5 length rear extension? The Blue, and other springs meant to smooth out supressors in carbines are not the same length as a new A5 spring from Vltor. They're a few coils shorter. You'll loose a lot of resistance over the Green spring which is meant to fill a rifle length RE.
    Still no reason to leave up bad info......😉🤣
    You could have read the post more carefully before bumping a 4.5 year old thread and posting derp in your first week here.

I brought two lowers with me. One is a factory DDM4 lower with a Sprinco Blue spring and H buffer, and one is the factory DDM4 lower using a Vltor A5 with H2 buffer and mil-spec spring. After I got home, I measured the spring. It is exactly 12.5" long, which is directly in the middle of the specification for a M16 action spring. It has roughly 2,000 rounds on it, and had less than 1,000 when I first began having issues.

I thought your way harsh....

...but upon review remarkable restraint.

It's been a while...I am still enjoying carbine RE guns that are properly gassed. For me, this means low 0.07's in a 14.5 middy, and in the .06's for a 11.5-12.5" carbine.

User Tag List