Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Barrel damage

Barrel damage

My FNS9 fell recently barrel first onto a tile floor. The muzzle end of the barrel into the crown & possibly into the rifling was damaged as a result. The fact it didn't go off on impact is a testament to the internal safeties!

Thankfully, I inspected it before firing & noticed the damage. While I don't think firing it would be a safety issue, it would definitely affect accuracy.

I'm sending it back to FNH this week for an estimate. Just a reminder to inspect your guns after potential damage & before firing at the range!

Well that sucks. I wonder if they'll recrown it or just replace it?

Looking at the Robar price list they charge $45 for a recrown and $50 to NP3 a barrel. Probably cheaper than a new factory barrel, which will probably be north of $160.

Oopsie! that barrel landed juuust the wrong way to get such a localized peening.

Probably FN will recrown it and will be as new.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    Looking at the Robar price list they charge $45 for a recrown and $50 to NP3 a barrel. Probably cheaper than a new factory barrel, which will probably be north of $160.
    This is what I was thinking before I even finished reading the original post.

Don't forget about the cost of shipping the gun (potentially both ways) if FNH won't just take the barrel. Robar would.

Better to do it now than on some precision LRI barrel
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Hard to imagine tile causing that damage: steel vs clay/ceramic.

FN said they require the entire gun for "custom fitting". I call BS on that, not to mention the additional cost of shipping the entire gun both ways! I'm getting a quote from a local gunsmith for a recrown.
    I agree, gplawhorn, & was amazed. It was ceramic tile from 5'

For another $15 Robar would NP3 all the slide internals which should slick up the trigger pull a bit. Seems like a good excuse to have that done.

Quote Originally Posted by Ohsheepdog View Post
    FN said they require the entire gun for "custom fitting". I call BS on that, not to mention the additional cost of shipping the entire gun both ways! I'm getting a quote from a local gunsmith for a recrown.
    I agree, gplawhorn, & was amazed. It was ceramic tile from 5'
    One metric to put it in perspective. On the Mohs hardness scale, here are some representative measurements. Higher numbers are harder materials.

Piece of chalk 1
    Plaster of Paris 2
    Fingernail 2.5
    Gold 2.5-3.0
    Penny 3.5
    Iron Nail 4
    Window Glass 5.5
    Steel File 6.5
    Ceramic tile 7.0
    Aluminum oxide 9.0
    Diamond 10.0

So, the tile is harder than a steel file which should be harder than the barrel steel as the file will cut the barrel. The tile is very hard and not very flexible, so the steel moved from the impact forces.
    Last edited by farscott; 02-03-2016 at 07:20 PM.

User Tag List