Page 3 of 20 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I've got a couple Surefire G2 sized lights that are in the home and the vehicles, but I'd like something smaller that I can clip in a pocket and carry with me.

I'd really like a light that runs on 2 AA batteries as opposed to the CR123's. So much easier to readily source AA's.

I'd also prefer if it was made in the US. This isn't an absolute deal breaker, but I do prefer to buy domestically produced items when I can.

If Surefire showed a light like this on their website, I'd order it right now, but I'm not coming up with anything there. I like the look of the Streamlight Tac Pro 2AA, but like I mentioned above, I'd prefer US produced.
    For EDC, I finally settled on a Streamlight ProTac 1L.

I tried a bunch of lights. Most were either not bright enough, or too large to carry all the time. The ProTac1L is plenty bright at 180 lumens, and in the nice little holster it comes with, it fits perfectly behind my spare mags on my weak side.

I've had lots of luck with Streamlight products, and at less than $40 it's a great deal.

Site Supporter
    I'll argue that you should go with a Surefire light and order a bulk pack of CR123 batteries:

http://www.amazon.com/Surefire-Pack-.../dp/B0010HDGIA

Thanks how I roll, my lights don't get extensive use so the batteries last a long time and I keep a few spares in my work bags and travel bags. If you are burning through batteries, you should be thinking about re-chargeable batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I was disappointed with my EB1 tactical. Surefire seemed to try to save money by using the same head, and therefore programming, between the EB1T and the standard EB1. This let the EB1T get stuck in the low mode, even with the switch fully depressed, if the timeout on the head programming from had not been exceeded before pressing the switch again.

There aren't a lot of options for US made AA lights. I haven't used his AA lights, but I've been extremely happy with every Malkoff light I've owned. If you don't mind the "non-tactical" switching, the Malkoff MDC series is available in 1xAA and 2xAA models.
    I think you got a click head somehow.

Quote Originally Posted by TGS View Post
    FourSevens, all the way.

The CR123 Quark is the perfect size, too......though I understand your reasons for a AA.
    Agreed, love my QTL, it's easy to carry and provides a lot of light when I need it. On the batteries, I opted to buy a charger and a couple of RCR123a batteries (Tenergy), and I couldn't be happier. I just swap the battery from the charger into the light and vice versa around the first of the month every month, and I've never had it not give me light when I needed it. Obviously some folks may have different usage patterns requiring more frequent battery charging, but even if it's weekly, it's really not a hard routine to get into, and given the retail price of CR123 batteries, the rechargeables pay for themselves pretty quickly.

Foursevens is worth a look. They're as bright as the Surefire lights should be.

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I've owned several Surefires (back in the early 2000's), but since discovering FourSevens a few years ago I haven't seen the reason to go with anything else (helped that they were located nearby too). I now own several of their lights and have been pleased with every one of them.

Site Supporter
    SF may have fixed the issue, but a number of other people reported the same problem with the EB1T on Candle Power Forums. It worked out for me anyways because my frustration with the EB1T UI led me to impulse buy an HDS Systems EDC Rotary Tactical, which is the perfect flashlight for me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    SF may have fixed the issue, but a number of other people reported the same problem with the EB1T on Candle Power Forums. It worked out for me anyways because my frustration with the EB1T UI led me to impulse buy an HDS Systems EDC Rotary Tactical, which is the perfect flashlight for me.
    I was hoping it was cheaper than Surefire. Not by much
    #RESIST

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I was hoping it was cheaper than Surefire. Not by much
    HDS definitely aren't cheap, but it's the only flashlight UI I've used that allows true momentary with no chance of accidental mode changes or constant on while still having easy one-hand access to a really wide range of constant on brightness modes.

Another fan of the 4Sevens Quark with single 123. Definitely my favorite EDC light and I have a bunch. I really like my titanium one.
    The first indication a bad guy should have that I'm dangerous is when his
    disembodied soul is looking down at his own corpse wondering what happened.

User Tag List