Page 18 of 20 FirstFirst ... 81617181920 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

After carrying a Streamlight protac everyday for two years I started to identify some of its flaws. I use a flashlight a lot and over the past couple years I have realized I only need two modes. High and Low. I want a light that comes on in high First and then can change to low if needed. The ten tap from Streamlight is cool except that the closest thing I’ve found to high-low is high-strobe-low.

I have tried a couple other light the past year but each had its flaws. The olight s1r is awesome because it’s rechargeable but that’s about the only thing I liked about it. I tried to micro stream and the stylus pro but they are high only. I00 lumens is surprisingly bright in the pitch black of night when trying to shine a light on something to read.

So I have decided to pony up for a surefire eb1-mv. We will see if it’s worth the money. I picked it up for $105, which is still way more than I wanted to spend but if it works like I hope it’ll be worth it.

I still really like the protac 1l. I’ve accidentally washed it twice and dropped it countless times. It’s a fantastic size and I can’t imagine finding much better for the price.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post
    After carrying a Streamlight protac everyday for two years I started to identify some of its flaws. I use a flashlight a lot and over the past couple years I have realized I only need two modes. High and Low. I want a light that comes on in high First and then can change to low if needed. The ten tap from Streamlight is cool except that the closest thing I’ve found to high-low is high-strobe-low.

I have tried a couple other light the past year but each had its flaws. The olight s1r is awesome because it’s rechargeable but that’s about the only thing I liked about it. I tried to micro stream and the stylus pro but they are high only. I00 lumens is surprisingly bright in the pitch black of night when trying to shine a light on something to read.

So I have decided to pony up for a surefire eb1-mv. We will see if it’s worth the money. I picked it up for $105, which is still way more than I wanted to spend but if it works like I hope it’ll be worth it.

I still really like the protac 1l. I’ve accidentally washed it twice and dropped it countless times. It’s a fantastic size and I can’t imagine finding much better for the price.
    The EDCL1-T is pretty solid, gas pedal switch.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

I absolutely concur that flashlights need two modes only, high and low.

I strongly prefer a positive mode change of some type (head twist or tail twist), because I like not cycling modes if I want to strobe. If you find yourself unhappy with the Surefire you could look at; Elzetta, Malkoff MD, and the Blackhawk Night-Ops Legacy.

I suspect the Legacy is merely an updated version of the Nighthawk Gladius, itself a Ken Good design. The positive click mode rotation on the Gladius/Legacy that doesn't involving loosening or tightening critical components (head or tail cap) is better, in my opinion, because it removes a potential failure point. I don't really need the strobe or medium brightness modes, but they're easy to skip in activation.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    This. I love mine. By far my favorite light I've ever used. I'll probably pick up the 2 cell version at some point too.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I have a nitecore mt2a. Very happy with it and batteries (2AA) are commone

Site Supporter
    How's the bezel Tom? I've been carrying the E1D for the past few years and the strike bezel has worn through several pants pockets. I carry it bezel down in my back pocket next to my wallet, support side. Thinking of upgrading and tossing the other light in my glove box, just wondering of this one is going to tear up pockets?
    Last edited by Up1911Fan; 05-19-2018 at 12:05 AM.

Banned
    Fenix UC35 Rechargeable LED Flashlight - Fenix-Store

Fenix UC 35 This is the light that I carry at work, It's the only light I have that doesn't run on AAs (It runs on 2 CR123s or a rechargeable 18650 battery) but it IS rechargeable and it charges through a USB port which means I can recharge it with my phone charger at work if I need to. I've saved the price of the light over the last 2.5 year just because I've not had to replace the batteries

It has 5 brightness levels and a strobe (that I never use)

14 lumens
    50 lumens
    180 lumens
    480 lumens
    960 lumens

This light "remembers" the last setting you put it on so I keep it on turbo and step it down if I need to.
    According to the website it will run an hour and a half on "Turbo but since I almost never leave it on full for more than a minute or two I usually only have to recharge it twice a week or so.

It's also regulated so it will run evenly until it hits about 30% charge then it steps down to the 180 lumens setting. It also light a red warning light to let you know it's time to charge.

Cost 89(ish)

http://www.batteryjunction.com/fenix...FYSAaQodB1UFGQ

As a back up or when I'm not at work I carry a Fenix E12. This the light I carried when I was working straight days and occasionally asked to stay over after dark. It has 3 settings 8 lumens, 50 lumens and 130 lumens. It runs off of 1 AA battery which is widely available and its small enough to fit in my pocket. Now that I'm working straight nights it's my back up. The one drawback to this light is that it doesn't "remember" the setting so you turn it on at the lowest setting and you have to click it up and sometimes you turn it off.

Cost 25 (ish)

Quote Originally Posted by Gater View Post
    Rich, as a guy who travels a lot, you may want to take a look at the Streamlight 1L-AA for about $5 more:

https://www.amazon.com/Streamlight-8...eamlight+1L-aa

May be a bit bigger than your lost 1L, but gives you option of using single 123 or single AA, and programmable. I picked one up for overseas travel. I like the pocket clip.

Edited to add: Have a great class--I'm jealous!
    I just picked up one of these last week and for the price point I'm impressed.

I have a couple of Malkoff replacement heads for my old Surefire E2e's. Excellent quality, but the weight and length in relation to the older E2e's clip throws the pocket clip balance off for me.

I bemoan the fact that Arc lights seem to be out of business (again). I have one on my pocket keychain that's handily been going strong for about 15 years now.

Quote Originally Posted by Up1911Fan View Post
    How's the bezel Tom? I've been carrying the E1D for the past few years and the strike bezel has worn through several pants pockets. I carry it bezel down in my back pocket next to my wallet, support side. Thinking of upgrading and tossing the other light in my glove box, just wondering of this one is going to tear up pockets?
    Not Tom, but the bezel is definitely not as sharp as the E1D. I'd say it's a good medium between the E1D and a standard round bezel.

I have been carrying mine bezel down for a few months and have no issues, but I carry in my front pocket.

If you do get wear I would expect it to be minimal and at a much slower rate than the E1D.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

This seemed like a perfect edc light and I almost got it. However, I got worried the size would be a little too big. The eb1 is already a big step up in size compared to the stuff I’ve been carrying. If I adjust to the eb1 I see the edcl1t in my future. The user interface seems absolutely perfect.

User Tag List