Page 12 of 20 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

I ordered a QTA and QT2A-X over the weekend and may be doing some lego-ing. Foursevens has the original QT2L-X head for $45 on their site and I can either use it on the QTA body with a 14500 or get a 2xCR123 body and have a complete QT2L-X. I'm undecided since the 2xCR123 is only 0.7" longer but gives you better run time for that trade off.

Here's the config that Bill was talking about.

And a previous thread about the same thing.

https://pistol-forum.com/showthread....al-Impressions

https://exigentcircumstance.wordpres...ances-edition/

The QT2L-X is much better. I had originally set mine up to run on 14500s and 14505s but was having dimming issues. Put it back with the original body and inserted 17670s (eventually upgrading to the 16650s) and all is well.

Mine run better as is, the size difference is minimal, and the run times are significantly different.

Grabbed a couple QP2L-X's.

Help me out here - any way to run a rechargeable single cell like 18650's?

The more I read the more I see that only some 2 CR123 lights can run rechargeables.

Any help/recommendations appreciated.

Thanks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post

The more I read the more I see that only some 2 CR123 lights can run rechargeables.

Thanks.

16650s are rechargeable 2500 mAh single cells
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 08-09-2016 at 08:57 PM.
    Bob Loblaw lobs law bombs

Site Supporter

Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post

Thanks.

That light will run on a Keeppower 16650. It is 2 mm smaller in diameter than an 18650.

In general, you need to check both the diameter of the tube as well as the voltage range of the light if it does not specify a type of Li-Ion that it can use.
    Last edited by BillSWPA; 08-09-2016 at 10:39 PM.
    Any legal information I may post is general information, and is not legal advice. Such information may or may not apply to your specific situation. I am not your attorney unless an attorney-client relationship is separately and privately established.

Thanks guys. After doing more digging I realized the relationship with the number and the size.

Looking at the mentioned Keepower 16650 and charger to replace CR123s in these lights.

Thanks again

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My experience with Chinese lights is that they are going to break at some point and I dont want it to be while I need a light.

A few years ago I bit the bullet and bought a HDS rotary. The ability to go from .1 to 200 lumens in an instant while keeping the simple press activation is priceless to me. I carry it in my pocket everyday and use ut as a backup on duty. The little thing is bomb proof.

I use rechargeable batteries and have been using the same two for years now. Theyve had a siginficant price increase since I bought mine but id buy another one if I lost mine today as theres nothing else with its capabilities thats as elegant of a solution.

The Surefires with "tactical" switching are my distant second choice, the ones with press for low and press harder for high output.
    Last edited by drummer; 08-10-2016 at 05:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    The QT2L-X is much better. I had originally set mine up to run on 14500s and 14505s but was having dimming issues. Put it back with the original body and inserted 17670s (eventually upgrading to the 16650s) and all is well.

Mine run better as is, the size difference is minimal, and the run times are significantly different.
    Any idea how much more runtime you're seeing. My "Noisy Cricket" is one of my favorite lights, the only downside being the shortened runtime. And what 16650 are you using? I see FourSevens has the 2x CR123 body for cheap, I may snag one and lego this setup together...
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

Quote Originally Posted by martin_j001 View Post
    Any idea how much more runtime you're seeing. My "Noisy Cricket" is one of my favorite lights, the only downside being the shortened runtime. And what 16650 are you using? I see FourSevens has the 2x CR123 body for cheap, I may snag one and lego this setup together...
    I haven't done any real testing but AW R14500 lists its capacity at 750 mAh and Keeppower 16650 lists its capacity at 2500 mAh. 3x the runtime sounds about right with daily usage.

ETA: The biggest downside about the light is most noticeable when you inadvertently turn it on while it's in your pocket. It will fry your ass.
    Last edited by BobLoblaw; 08-10-2016 at 09:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BobLoblaw View Post
    I haven't done any real testing but AW R14500 lists its capacity at 750 mAh and Keeppower 16650 lists its capacity at 2500 mAh. 3x the runtime sounds about right with daily usage.

ETA: The biggest downside about the light is most noticeable when you inadvertently turn it on while it's in your pocket. It will fry your ass.
    Makes sense. And yeah, I've done that a few times with different lights. My pd35 was quite noticeable rather quickly, even though I was outside and it was 90+ degrees that day...
    Jeff Martin
    Instagram

User Tag List