Page 19 of 20 FirstFirst ... 917181920 LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Got this a couple weeks ago, $8 on Prime:

GLAREE E03 Keychain Flashlight, CREE LED 150 Lumens Mini Torch AAA Battery EDC Pocket Penlight Portable Emergency Light

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075ZTG46N..._EFgaBbER9QSGF

It is a minimal 1 AAA light. It has a moonlight mode as well as a 150 Lumen. It is made of aluminum and the activation is a simple twist.

I use it on my lanyard as a small carry light at work.

Just wanted to mention it in case folks are looking for something on the small size. I’m pretty happy with it for the price.

I have a Fenix RC09 that I carry everyday and its always worked well and has a strobe feature as well and is rechargeable

Banned
    https://www.rei.com/product/124310/f...xoCrHoQAvD_BwE

I bought this RC05SE last week and I'm really happy with it. It's only 300 lumens but so far that's been adequate for what I use it for. I primarily use it at work and I'm confident that it's bright enough to check the fence line in the dark or identify a threat.

I also like the fact that it's rechargeable or it can run on a AA battery which cuts down the cost to use it and I like the fact that it's small enough to carry in my pocket.

Do low light instructors recommend using strobe?

I’m the opposite of an operator so I’m legitimately inquiring. When I was researching flashlights a large majority of “tactical” flashlights have a strobe function, yet the strobe function seemed like it was users biggest complaint. Also it was one feature that I didn’t notice on the surefire lights. They just tend to be “all the lumens” or just a few lumens, at least the edc lights I looked at.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Cypher View Post
    https://www.rei.com/product/124310/f...xoCrHoQAvD_BwE

I bought this RC05SE last week and I'm really happy with it. It's only 300 lumens but so far that's been adequate for what I use it for. I primarily use it at work and I'm confident that it's bright enough to check the fence line in the dark or identify a threat.

I also like the fact that it's rechargeable or it can run on a AA battery which cuts down the cost to use it and I like the fact that it's small enough to carry in my pocket.
    ETA the charging cord also acts as a quick charger for my phone

Quote Originally Posted by JCS View Post

I’m the opposite of an operator so I’m legitimately inquiring. When I was researching flashlights a large majority of “tactical” flashlights have a strobe function, yet the strobe function seemed like it was users biggest complaint. Also it was one feature that I didn’t notice on the surefire lights. They just tend to be “all the lumens” or just a few lumens, at least the edc lights I looked at.
    I’m the least tactical guy here and strobes no workie fir me. Inside they not only disoriented my wife (playing burglar) but the bounce back from the light walls disoriented me as well. Outdoors it may not be an issue. I prefer just a light. But then I’m no pro.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by TAZ View Post
    I’m the least tactical guy here and strobes no workie fir me. Inside they not only disoriented my wife (playing burglar) but the bounce back from the light walls disoriented me as well. Outdoors it may not be an issue. I prefer just a light. But then I’m no pro.
    On both my lights you have to push a separate button to make them strobe. That makes it a nonstarter for me.

I'm not tactical either... anyway, I do know for an absolute certainty that a strobe will freak the hell out of one specific dog. I certainly wouldn't rely on the strobe alone under any circumstance that wasn't a last ditch effort for survival.

Aside: Wasn't a massive strobe used against German pilots in a WWII battle somewhere where it would completely disorient the pilots? I seem to remember something like that from a documentary but ... can't quite get it back.
    You will more often be attacked for what others think you believe than what you actually believe. Expect misrepresentation, misunderstanding, and projection as the modern normal default setting. ~ Quintus Curtius

A few do, most don't. It seems that most that don't haven't seen it used well and dismiss it all together.
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

A Malkoff Junky's POV

For me, the primary use of an "EDC flashlight" is for utilitarian purposes: finding my cell phone when it slides under the car seat, searching for the spare magazine in the back corners of the safe, looking under the car hood at night, etc. For this use, my preference is for a light that is small and easy to carry, yet durable enough to take a beating. I don't necessarily need long run time or a ton of lumens.

The following configuration has become my standard EDC light;

This light is an assembly of the following pieces;

MDC HA 1CR12 Body

VME Head

This body/head combo will accept any of Malkoff's 6P drop-ins using a Li-ion 16340 rechargeable body or any of Malkoff's 3P drop-ins using a standard CR123 battery. The ability to easily swap drop-ins in combination with Malkoff quality has made this my best-ever EDC light for general purpose use.

If I know I'll be venturing out at night I will sometimes take one of my larger Malkoff lights with me. These lights still carry comfortably in a front pocket but offer longer run time and higher output. Below is my Wildcat v.6 on a MD3 body;

This light is approximately 6-inches long but still rides comfortably clipped into a front pocket. On low with the bezel slightly backed-off from tight on the body (about 30 lumens) it has over 12 hours of run time and is perfect walking the dogs or navigating over uneven terrain. On high with the bezel tight on the body (1000+ lumens) its wide flood pattern creates a wall-of-light with about 40 minutes of run time on a pair of 18500 Li-ion cells. The Wildcat v.6 head can also be used on a MD2 body (same size as a SF 6P) with a set of 18350 Li-ion cells with about half the run time;

Installing a Hound Dog 18650 head (high: 900 lumens - 29,000 lux; low: approximately 30 lumens) and dropping in an 18650 Li-ion cell turns it into a powerful search light;

Using a Vltor mount, it also makes for a kick-ass WML for my carbine;

Between the superb build quality, incredible CS and the ability to easily set up a light for any purpose, Malkoff stuff is all I need (or want).

User Tag List