Page 1 of 20 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Looking for a good EDC flashlight

I've got a couple Surefire G2 sized lights that are in the home and the vehicles, but I'd like something smaller that I can clip in a pocket and carry with me.

I'd really like a light that runs on 2 AA batteries as opposed to the CR123's. So much easier to readily source AA's.

I'd also prefer if it was made in the US. This isn't an absolute deal breaker, but I do prefer to buy domestically produced items when I can.

If Surefire showed a light like this on their website, I'd order it right now, but I'm not coming up with anything there. I like the look of the Streamlight Tac Pro 2AA, but like I mentioned above, I'd prefer US produced.

Subscribed.

I am going to do a review of the streamlight 2aa soon. I just finally killed one and bought a second one. Really good lights, lots of excellent design features and 155 lumen is just right for a lot of what I need it for.

There is no other light like it and i highly recommend it.
    VDMSR.com
    Chief Developer for V Development Group
    Everything I post I do so as a private individual who is not representing any company or organization.

Quote Originally Posted by voodoo_man View Post
    I am going to do a review of the streamlight 2aa soon. I just finally killed one and bought a second one. Really good lights, lots of excellent design features and 155 lumen is just right for a lot of what I need it for.

There is no other light like it and i highly recommend it.
    My daughter gave me one for Christmas and so far I'm very pleased with it

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Jared View Post
    I'd like something smaller that I can clip in a pocket and carry with me.
    In that case, you might want to alter your parameters to a one-AA cell light. A two-AA cell light is going to be on the long side.

Flashlights are one area where the pedigree really doesn't matter. US manufacturers produce crap just as well as Pacific Rim manufacturers. Ditto for good lights.

Anyway, you owe it to yourself to check out something like the Fenix LD15. No clip, but it rides in a pocket quite nicely.

This assumes you're looking for a non-LE-purposed light…

In my opinion there's Surefire then there's the stuff everyone else makes. If it's a light you may use in a defensive situation I would recommend a Surefire light that takes a CR123. The EB1 backup is a great light. I like the tactical version better. It's a single cell light so whenever you need to change the battery it's only one and it's fairly small.

While I tend to recommend higher end lights, I've been getting a LOT of mileage lately out of a Streamlight Microstream and a Stylus Pro.

Both are AAA battery lights, the Micro is single battery, the Pro is double battery.
    I am the owner of Agile/Training and Consulting
    www.agiletactical.com

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Haggard View Post
    While I tend to recommend higher end lights, I've been getting a LOT of mileage lately out of a Streamlight Microstream and a Stylus Pro.

Both are AAA battery lights, the Micro is single battery, the Pro is double battery.
    I just picked up the Stylus Pro on a lark. Added it to my ProTac 1L.
    Love the form factor of the Stylus Pro, and the momentary activation is great. But the constant-on activation takes much more effort than I'd like. Maybe it's just my sample.

I am not sure that there is a whole lot still made in the USA anymore, but I have had good luck with Quark FourSevens, they have recently revamped their lineup.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by xmanhockey7 View Post
    In my opinion there's Surefire then there's the stuff everyone else makes. If it's a light you may use in a defensive situation I would recommend a Surefire light that takes a CR123. The EB1 backup is a great light. I like the tactical version better. It's a single cell light so whenever you need to change the battery it's only one and it's fairly small.
    I was disappointed with my EB1 tactical. Surefire seemed to try to save money by using the same head, and therefore programming, between the EB1T and the standard EB1. This let the EB1T get stuck in the low mode, even with the switch fully depressed, if the timeout on the head programming from had not been exceeded before pressing the switch again.

There aren't a lot of options for US made AA lights. I haven't used his AA lights, but I've been extremely happy with every Malkoff light I've owned. If you don't mind the "non-tactical" switching, the Malkoff MDC series is available in 1xAA and 2xAA models.

User Tag List