Page 5 of 20 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Looking for a good EDC flashlight

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    Then don't buy a Quark? They're not that difficult was my point.
    Truly this. I set mine how I wanted it at initial purchase (bezel tight = strobe, bezel loose = high), and that's it. There is roughly zero complexity involved in daily use.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rob_s View Post
    Why do I need even a PC-level of fiddle-fart with a friggin flashlight?

I'm still unclear on what any of these companies is doing, outside some need to play fiddle-fart with a tool that shouldn't require fiddle-fart, that Surefire and/or Streamlight aren't.

Or, is it like most things in this community, intentional anachronism as validation of specialness of one's snowflake and increasing the count of stars on one's belly?

Or, is it like the secondary commonality of everyone buying/planning/fiddle-farting for the 0.01% instead of the 99%?
    Programmable flashlights allow manufacturers to make a small number of models that will fit all, or nearly all, user preferences.

I want a handheld flashlight UI to have at a minimum a high output momentary mode and a constant on low mode. orionz06 wants max output and strobe available. Because the FourSevens lights are programmable, we can both buy the same model of light and get what we want. If FourSevens had to make more models to meet user preferences, they likely wouldn't be able to keep their current price point.

Most flashlight buyers have very different wants than people who are buying flashlights that might also be used to support shooting a pistol. Manufacturers are just meeting demand for their largest segment of buyers by making multi-mode lights.

I mean there are still people who buy cars with manual windows because they're simple...

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    Think for yourself. Question authority.

I'm not a "flashlight guy" but I've been using the same E1B as a pocket EDC light since they first came out. While it doesn't have all the functionality of some of the others mentioned, it's stupid simple, stupid durable and is small enough that it's always there in my pocket.

I really like the "two way" clip as it functions well on a pocket or can be pinched into "headlamp" use by putting it on the brim of a ball cap. I tweaked about 1/4" of the end of the pocket clip out to 90 degrees and it functions well as a make shift "ring" if you fancy a syringe type technique. It's minor enough a mod that it doesn't catch on much in my pocket and adds some functional capability. (How, btw, are you guys breaking these? They've been absolutely bomber IME)

I've been standardized on 123s across the board as I get em gratis at work so it jives there too. It's pretty darned near perfect for my needs. Although I might have to try the "tactical" model switchology a try at some stage.

t

I carry the Microstream (28L) for my day to day activities such as looking into cubby holes and cabinets trying to ID part numbers. If I venture out onto Dastreatz, I will grab my Protac 2L (260L, strobe, 13L). My nightstand and dog walking flashlight is P2X Fury 15/600. My God, I just realized I have a carry rotation.....
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    (How, btw, are you guys breaking these? They've been absolutely bomber IME)
    Ditto. I too have been toting EDC the same E1B for going on three years now. Granted, I usually carry mine in a dedicated kydex scabbard, behind my extra magazine. I.e., I rarely use the clip. But the little bugger is tough; I've dropped it on hard surfaces a dozen times, it gets banged up at times while doing trajectory comparisons/graphs, and I even dropped it in the water tank once. When I heard it was being discontinued in favor of the EB1 (which doesn't impress me at all), I immediately ordered another E1B for a spare. It still sits in its unopened box, waiting.

I'll have to agree somewhat with rob_s regarding all the "features" on some lights. In fact, was just going through this a couple of hours ago with a colleague, who recently purchased some whiz-bang light from LA Police Supply that is supposed to be the cat's ass/go-to light for the budget-minded officer, etc., etc., ad nauseum. One 123A cell (yet its quite a bit longer than my E1B), nicely finished... and a real PITA to use. Because you cannot "set it up" to your preference. It has a fixed cycle, and that is that.

No sense moaning about it, though. There are a zillion different lights out there, and it doesn't take a whole lot of research to find one that does what you want it to. He bought this one on impulse, after looking at SureFire prices. I won't say that, in our ensuing discussion the word "cheapskate" was uttered... but he now certainly regrets being a tightwad...

4Sevens Quark QT2L-X Gen 2 is now programmed from the factory and only gives you 2 options of your choosing. I grabbed another first gen before they were discontinued and picked up some rechargeable 16650s and a VP2 charger. The VP2 also has a USB port for draining batteries if you have other devices running low on juice.

Quote Originally Posted by cmbarny2 View Post
    I was going to recommend the Streamlight microstream as well but just saw you wanted something more than that. What about the Surefire Titan Plus? I haven't used it but it says its got a 300 lumen high mode according to the amazon stats and its a rechargeable AAA.
    Sure wish it could be had with a tail switch with just a high setting. Then it would be a perfect light.

Quote Originally Posted by orionz06 View Post
    I mean there are still people who buy cars with manual windows because they're simple...

Sent from my Nokia 3310 using an owl
    I'd pick manual windows every time if it were an option. But that's just because I hate tearing open panels to replace auto motors and tracks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I just got an Olight s1 baton it takes 1 cr123 battery so it's very small and 500 lumen with high low and strobe. Activation is push button on the side. So far so good had it about a month.
    Rick
    Last edited by Paladin; 02-04-2016 at 04:28 PM.
    Brave men defend themselves, braver men defend loved ones, Warriors defend strangers fools wait! The bravest man I know John 3:17!

User Tag List