Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbling, how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    What do you guys do with the waste water that's generated?
    It depends on what solution you are using. Most ultrasonic cleaning solutions are biodegradable surfactants which are safe to flush down the drain as long as they are mixed with water to the correct cleaning ratios. As for the dissolved carbon and lead from the casings, almost all water treatment plants leach harmful lead and other toxins from the water before it enters outgoing pipelines. The real potential worry for lead contamination in the water supply is in the pipe material itself which can contain trace amounts of lead in the metallurgy.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    It depends on what solution you are using. Most ultrasonic cleaning solutions are biodegradable surfactants which are safe to flush down the drain as long as they are mixed with water to the correct cleaning ratios. As for the dissolved carbon and lead from the casings, almost all water treatment plants leach harmful lead and other toxins from the water before it enters outgoing pipelines. The real potential worry for lead contamination in the water supply is in the pipe material itself which can contain trace amounts of lead in the metallurgy.
    I have to admit I've always been intrigued by the wet tumbling option, particularly in terms of cutting down on the possibility of lead dust being tracked back into the house now that we have a little one around.

My only hesitations had been that the process seemed more time consuming and I worried about how to dispose of the water safely. But if decapping prior to tumbling isn't necessary and there aren't any issues flushing the water down the drain, I think I might just join in on the FARTing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Matt O View Post
    I have to admit I've always been intrigued by the wet tumbling option, particularly in terms of cutting down on the possibility of lead dust being tracked back into the house now that we have a little one around.

My only hesitations had been that the process seemed more time consuming and I worried about how to dispose of the water safely. But if decapping prior to tumbling isn't necessary and there aren't any issues flushing the water down the drain, I think I might just join in on the FARTing.

I would be concerned with flushing it if you have a septic system though.

Quote Originally Posted by Hauptmann View Post
    I would be concerned with flushing it if you have a septic system though.
    True, that would likely not be wise.

I dry tumble with walnut shell media but do all my separating outside in the interest if lead abatement with an attempt made to keep myself upwind so the dust plume blows away from me.

SLG, the fine mesh strainers seems like a good idea, but actually is a big pain. I use the covered RCBS media separator and the slotted caps for the FART. 1hr of tumbling then take the cap off, put the slotted one in and pour out as much water and pins into the RCBS as I can, pour off the dirty water, use the magnet to grab the pins, then pour about half the contents into the basket. Fill the separator halfway with hot water (I know some prefer cold, I like hot for both tumbling and rinsing), spin the basket for about 2 minutes going back and forth to agitate it a lot, then pour off the water and repeat. The 2nd rinse water stays in the unit and I pour in the rest of the brass into the basket and use that water as my first rinse. Then do a 2nd rinse. Grab the magnet, pull the rest of the pins out and either dump the water or use it for the next batch if I am doing more than one.
    I get about 1500 cases in the FART maybe more, with 9mm. I use laundry detergent instead of Dawn as I find it foams up less and rinses off easier, but I use the Lemishiine or Jetdry like everyone else. I still lube my cases when I run them through the press, and I don't dry tumble to remove lube anymore either.
    I called our waste treatment plant and asked about pouring the waste water down the pipe and the engineer I know there told me it's a non issue as they treat for heavy metals and other crap (ha). If I had a septic field I probably wouldn't pour it down the drain. Not sure what I would do actually.
    Last edited by Slavex; 02-03-2016 at 04:15 AM.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Slavex,

Good to know, thanks. I was thinking that the fine mesh could be used after dumping the water through the main screen, then it would catch the pins as the water went through without the brass being there. Don't know if that makes sense.

So...if you have a septic, what do you do?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Slavex,

Good to know, thanks. I was thinking that the fine mesh could be used after dumping the water through the main screen, then it would catch the pins as the water went through without the brass being there. Don't know if that makes sense.

So...if you have a septic, what do you do?
    I think the best thing would be to take it to a hazmat drop off site. The county here maintains one and the city has several specified days each year when they will accept anything you bring in.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

I wet-tumble my brass in a small Harbor Freight cement mixer, with the usual Dawn/Lemishine mix. I let the brass air dry in a big tray made out of 2x4s and hardware cloth.

I also dry-tumble my loaded ammo in crushed walnut, just to get the old lube off.
    Last edited by Chris Rhines; 02-03-2016 at 08:31 AM.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

My other big wet tumbling tip is: Those big, white plastic trays that are meant to be put under a washing machine are great for drying brass.

Since I am using solar power, my method is carbon neutral and I am saving the planet. I have written the WH and informed them of my efforts to save the Earth by drying brass that has been fired out of all kinds of semi-auto guns but thus far, I have heard nothing back. No congratulatory letters, no medals, no invitations to the WH. Nothin'.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

User Tag List