Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Tumbling, how do you do it?

Quote Originally Posted by CCT125US View Post
    No. I dry them for 4 hours and have never seen dampness in the pocket after decapping. (my one concern with wet tumbling) I have cycled brass 10+ times and never noticed excessive firing residue buildup in the primer pocket. Now this is on pistol brass, done on a D650. Precision rifle would be a different story.
    Good to know, thanks. I'm not worried about the pocket being wet, as I use the dehydrator. I just like to get the pockets clean as well.

I may have to get a Thumlers Tumbler.

I decap first, then wet tumble with stainless pins, either air dry or dry in the oven on low heat.

I don't decap pistol brass first either as I run everything through the 1050 with the MK VII and don't want to have a dedicated toolhead just for decapping. I dry in my oven for 30-45 minutes. I can do two loads of brass at a time if I want. never had an issue with water in the primer pocket. 308 brass does get decapped, but that's all single stage stuff anyhow. I tried Ultrasonic, but the volume you can clean in it doesn't work for my pistol shooting.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

Anyone using the Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17? Looks better to me than the Thumlers.

the FART is the best value out there, larger capacity than almost all of the other one's and much simpler to use. Super durable too. I've cleaned nearly 500,000 brass in mine since I got it.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

What do you guys do with the waste water that's generated?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Anyone using the Extreme Tumblers Rebel 17? Looks better to me than the Thumlers.
    That is the model I have, and would recommend it.
    Taking a break from social media.

Quote Originally Posted by Slavex View Post
    the FART is the best value out there, larger capacity than almost all of the other one's and much simpler to use. Super durable too. I've cleaned nearly 500,000 brass in mine since I got it.
    That does look really good. How many cases can you do at once? Looks like quite a bit more than the 17, let alone the Thumler's.

Why does no one include a fine strainer to catch all the media?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Yep. Only wet tumbler I've used but I think it's a good unit. It's more robust than the Thumler IMHO.

I only tumble 40 mins or so using the time honored Lemi-shine/Dawn dish detergent combo. I find tumbling longer than that gets the case interiors too clean. They stick to the Dillon powder funnel on the downstroke. Word on the street is using an all-in-one car wash/wax product in the mix helps with this, but the short cycle is working fine for me.

I deprime all cases first as I want to reduce the chances of wayward SS pins remaining in the cases.

That first load of water after tumbling is nasty.
    Last edited by NETim; 02-02-2016 at 10:15 PM.
    In a sort of ghastly simplicity we remove the organ and demand the function. We make men without chests and expect of them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honour and are shocked to find traitors in our midst. We castrate and bid the geldings be fruitful.” ― C.S. Lewis, The Abolition of Man

Quote Originally Posted by NETim View Post
    I only tumble 40 mins or so using the time honored Lemi-shine/Dawn dish detergent combo. I find tumbling longer than that gets the case interiors too clean. They stick to the Dillon powder funnel on the downstroke.
    Learning has occurred. This may prevent me from using aerosol case lube. Too bad I have 10k cleaned, dryed and sealed ready to load. I will remember to shorten the cycle next batch.
    Taking a break from social media.

User Tag List