Page 7 of 10 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the face of the NRA?

Hickok45 - Perfect example of someone who should not be the spokesperson for the NRA. What does an older, pot-bellied, white guy, offer as a spokesperson to young women and minority shooters? Nothing.

-Rob

Who should be the face of the NRA?

Quote Originally Posted by RevolverRob View Post
    Hickok45 - Perfect example of someone who should not be the spokesperson for the NRA. What does an older, pot-bellied, white guy, offer as a spokesperson to young women and minority shooters? Nothing.

-Rob
    Well, as I've indicated earlier I'm no Hickock45 expert. And I don't think for a second he would be interested in being anyone's spokesperson.

But have you ever taken the time to read any of the tens of thousands of comments on his videos? There are A LOT of people, especially self-described younger people and females, who profess a great deal of admiration for him and appreciation for introducing them to firearms in a non-intimidating and approachable way. Many "I wish you were my Grandpa", type of messages from people who relate to him.

So I don't know, to answer your question I guess if any of those potential women and minority shooters aren't as hung up on identity politics, racism, and sexism as your comment implies they must be by definition, I bet quite a few of them could relate to him. In fact, I'd wager he's brought more people to shooting and changed more minds about gun owners than all of the people mentioned in, and participating in this thread combined.

And that's coming from someone who thought the suggestion of him as the face of the NRA was a little silly to begin with.

ETA: This wasn't intended to take anything away from the many great spokespeople mentioned in the thread. I'm sure any of them have done more for the NRA membership than my piddly few dollars, even the contemptible Dana Loesch.
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 02-08-2016 at 09:36 PM.

There have been many references to personalities in NRA ads in this thread. I quit watching television years ago and haven't had cable in some time as I grew tired of paying $200/mo for the privilege of having propaganda and bullshit delivered into my living room. My television hasn't been on in years aside from severe weather situations and the very rare streaming video from Amazon Prime.

Are these ads appearing in mainstream media, as in network television? Or even large cable networks? Or are we talking about online videos that are likely only being watched by the choir? I'm asking because I legitimately didn't realize the NRA was advertising in the mainstream if that is happening (but I think that's a great thing). I actually would have bet they couldn't get any network to take their advertising money.

Or are we talking about pundits and spokespeople to appear on news programming for the gotcha questions that make the talking heads feel oh so smart?

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ICT View Post

Are these ads appearing in mainstream media, as in network television? Or even large cable networks? Or are we talking about online videos that are likely only being watched by the choir?
    Just saw the South Side NRA Ad on Fox News. So yes, they are on large cable networks. Some might argue that they are preaching to the choir on Fox. But, I don't know, it's good that they are out there.

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Just saw the South Side NRA Ad on Fox News. So yes, they are on large cable networks. Some might argue that they are preaching to the choir on Fox. But, I don't know, it's good that they are out there.
    I don't know about that. There are plenty of folks who won guns who just never got around to joining. Or joined, and never re-upped. Or don't join things. Or fall fo various tin-foil hat theories about "them."
    Maybe they fall for lines about how the NRA is an anti-Second Amendment organization because "they compromise our rights away."
    We hear that one every time a bad law gets passed, and some jackwagon explains it by claiming the NRA sold us out.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by idahojess View Post
    Very cool. If I had to put money on which network the ads would be on I would have bet FOX news. But, as Drang points out, there are no doubt lots of people watching who are not members. Also, generally, if there is a TV on in a public venue its either on CNN or FOX news so there's that reach as well.

I wonder if they have tried to advertise on any of the big three networks or larger cable networks and been rebuffed.

I guess I'll have to see if I can find these ads on YouTube. Maybe it will renew some of my faith in how they are spending money on outreach. I like the GOA and 2AF too, but I don't know that they do much outreach direct to the general public. And the 2AF is spammy as hell. So at least the NRA is doing something to reach John and Mary Public. If someone could just convince them to restrict their outreach message to their raison d'ętre, and stop alienating potential members over non-related issues I'd be much happier.

Ted Nugent is f'ing nuts.

"Gun-rights advocates urge NRA to remove Ted Nugent from board over ‘anti-Semitic’ outburst"
    http://wapo.st/20oQsea

Site Supporter
    How about Charlie??

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

I really like Colion Noir or Julie Golob. Hell, why not beg Sheriff David Clarke??

I am waiting for our very own Tiffany Johnson to be recruited. Seriously.

User Tag List