Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Who should be the face of the NRA?

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I'm not religious, but I liked Dana's speech. In case you don't know, she donates her time to the NRA, and says what she wants. The NRA doesn't script her at all, from what I'm told. Also, you guys are not her intended audience. She is wildly successful in reaching women, which is kind of more important than reaching any of us here.

As for Hickok45, he seems like a really nice guy. However, he has too much conspiracy theorist in him to be effective or credible as the face of the NRA. Again, reaching us is pointless, it only helps the cause if he can reach those who aren't already true believers.
    Yep. "We" are not the issue. Cody keeps bringing up Ayoob....the only folks who that appeals to are likely already NRA members. The most effective ads I recently saw are the older woman who lived in federal housing and the guy from Chicago. Anyone who doesn't seem like the stereotypical "evil NRA" member. It is what make people think, "wow, maybe the left is lying about what the NRA is". Folks like Dana Loesch, Kelly Clarkson, Julie Golob, etc. Are all good for reaching out to various segments of the browning demographic of women gun owners. It would be nice to see some responsible athletes as well outside the gun sports. I love the new ads and hope they continue and push to the edge of the tent as to what the faces of the NRA are.
    Just a Hairy Special Snowflake supply clerk with no field experience, shooting an Asymetric carbine as a Try Hard. Snarky and easily butt hurt. Favorite animal is the Cape Buffalo....likely indicative of a personality disorder.
    "If I had a grandpa, he would look like Delbert Belton".

As for Hickok45, he seems like a really nice guy. However, he has too much conspiracy theorist in him to be effective or credible as the face of the NRA. Again, reaching us is pointless, it only helps the cause if he can reach those who aren't already true believers.
    Could you point me in the direction of one of his conspiracy videos?

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    I was surprised by this as well. I seriously doubted Hickock45 would even entertain the idea of being a spokesperson for anything because in every video of his I've ever seen he has studiously avoided any sort of politics.

I'm prepared to be proved wrong as I don't claim to be a Hickock45 expert but my first thought in reading that was "What conspiracy theory has he ever espoused?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by GardoneVT View Post
    The NRA needs a name change & a panel of spokespeople,none of whom are white old guys.
    They've got quite a few, actually. Billy Johnson (Amidst the Noise), Julie Golob (doing a great job!), Mr Colion Noir, a coupla others.

Billy Johnson's YouTube statistical number crunching is fantastic. Highly recommended and I hate videos.
    #RESIST

I haven't watched the whole thing because it was ridiculous, but his recent video where he talks about getting kicked off youtube is really what i'm talking about. He doesn't seem to understand how youtube works (hint: there is no one watching his content and deciding if he should stay or go. It's all computer driven algorithms, just like Facebook), and he thinks the Gov't actually cares what he is producing, and might be bothered to "deal" with him.

I like him a fair bit, and have nothing against him, but he really came across as a little nutty to me in the video. Which is why he would not make a good spokesperson for the NRA.

I haven't watched the whole thing because it was ridiculous, but his recent video where he talks about getting kicked off youtube is really what i'm talking about. He doesn't seem to understand how youtube works (hint: there is no one watching his content and deciding if he should stay or go. It's all computer driven algorithms, just like Facebook), and he thinks the Gov't actually cares what he is producing, and might be bothered to "deal" with him.

I like him a fair bit, and have nothing against him, but he really came across as a little nutty to me in the video. Which is why he would not make a good spokesperson for the NRA.
    Interesting.
    I'm surprised to learn this, as I have always viewed him as level-headed and well-reasoned. I guess I've missed his 'rants' and may have a less-than-accurate sense about him. Oh well...

Quote Originally Posted by ubervic View Post
    Interesting.
    I'm surprised to learn this, as I have always viewed him as level-headed and well-reasoned. I guess I've missed his 'rants' and may have a less-than-accurate sense about him. Oh well...
    Who knows, maybe I'm the one who has the less accurate view. Maybe it was his idea of a joke, IDK.

I just went through the video you mention.

He doesn't seem to understand how youtube works (hint: there is no one watching his content and deciding if he should stay or go. It's all computer driven algorithms, just like Facebook)
    "We're not still 100% sure what it was, whether it was a glitch.. as I understand the robots kinda decide things, it's automatically... if something gets flagged or whatever".

"It seemed like some type of YouTube or Google Plus algorithm"

he thinks the Gov't actually cares what he is producing, and might be bothered to "deal" with him.
    "I didn't think it was the government like everybody thought, there was never really a point that I thought that was a possibility"

"The two big speculations were 1) the government shut us down; that didn't happen..."
    Last edited by HopetonBrown; 02-08-2016 at 03:17 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by nyeti View Post
    Yep. "We" are not the issue. Cody keeps bringing up Ayoob....the only folks who that appeals to are likely already NRA members. The most effective ads I recently saw are the older woman who lived in federal housing and the guy from Chicago. Anyone who doesn't seem like the stereotypical "evil NRA" member. It is what make people think, "wow, maybe the left is lying about what the NRA is". Folks like Dana Loesch, Kelly Clarkson, Julie Golob, etc. Are all good for reaching out to various segments of the browning demographic of women gun owners. It would be nice to see some responsible athletes as well outside the gun sports. I love the new ads and hope they continue and push to the edge of the tent as to what the faces of the NRA are.
    I also support the idea of widening the base and the perception of who supports gun rights and self defense with a firearm. The think I like about Ayoob is his delivery and his tone and his demeanor which makes everything he say sound logical and reasonable. There are also a number of Democrats that support gun rights, and a whole bunch of Independents, and lots more women. We need all of them.
    Cody
    That a well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free state;

I just went through the video you mention.

"We're not still 100% sure what it was, whether it was a glitch.. as I understand the robots kinda decide things, it's automatically... if something gets flagged or whatever".

"It seemed like some type of YouTube or Google Plus algorithm"

"I didn't think it was the government like everybody thought, there was never really a point that I thought that was a possibility"

"The two big speculations were 1) the government shut us down; that didn't happen..."
    Well, if I wasn't paying enough attention, then I apologize for calling him a conspiracy nut and will look at it again. As I said, I didn't watch the whole thing, but unless I've gone crazy, the opening few minutes were not as you quoted.

eta,

I just listened to most of it, and it looks like I was wrong. Either I am thinking of something else, or I've gone crazy, or I didn't pay enough attention, listening to it in the background, and misunderstood what he was saying.

As they say, "reading (listening) is fundamental." Whoops. Good thing H45 doesn't look to me for his daily affirmations.:-)

at 10:23 or so, there is a hint of conspiracy. I'm not going to continue calling him a conspiracy nut, but maybe I gave that 2 sec. section more credit than I should have.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-08-2016 at 06:11 PM. Reason: just watched it

User Tag List