Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Precision Rifle: Training

Precision Rifle: Training

Yesterday, I asked a few questions regarding precision rifle equipment.

Shifting gears, what, specifically, do people think is the most effective way to practice for PRS events?
    (Quoting Tim Ferris, "What you do is more important than how you do everything else...")

For example: I can take a guy that has never shot a pistol and, assuming some limited faculties, budget and desire, turn him into a A-class USPSA shooter within a year. I can do this because I have a very specific plan on exactly what to practice, up to what point, until a person is "good enough".

So... What is the bread and butter in PRS?

I dont shoot prs, so take this for what its worth. Im looking forward to hearing what others say as well.

Learn to read wind accurately. Everything else is pretty simple compared to that.

Obviously, knowing your gun in and out is critical. Be able to reload it in position, and be able to shoot well from all positions, even jackass ones.

Get the best scope you can. As always, i prefer nightforce. The 4-16 is probably perfect for prs. Know your dope.

Be able to range quickly, and move from target to target quickly, while adjusting dope.

Im sure you know most of this, and most of it will be easy for you to pick up.

Learn to read the wind accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Im sure you know most of this, and most of it will be easy for you to pick up.
    I really appreciate you chiming in here on these thread - mucho respect, bro.

I know very little about this; most of the rifle shooting I've done has been from standing position (International Air Rifle) and working with the 22...

Looks like good equipment can help maximize performance - for that the surveys at precision rifle blog have been helpful. Additionally, the "How much does it matter" series really hits on wind calls as one of the big variables to learn.

I'm guessing I'll be practicing a lot of positional shooting, etc...

Les,

I get that you are actually new to precision rifle stuff, but my point is that a gm pistol shooter understands how to run a gun, and often understands how to press a trigger. Shooting a rifle fast and accurately is no different, all the same concepts apply. I dont doubt that you will get dialed in on this pretty quickly. However, greatequipment is even more im poo rtant in prs than in uspsa.

Recoil control is paramount, and the symetrical concept is the same. This can be practiced at 100 on yards on paper. Get to the point where you can see your impacts through the scope as they hit the paper, and your recoil control will be excellent.

Again, other than some weapons handling and recoil control, knowing your scope is critical. How fast you can be effecient is where it is at.

In case the hint was lost by anyone, wind is the deciding factor. Period. The rest is pretty easy, really, but the guy who reads and adjusts the best for wind, is almost always going to win. The only way to get good at that is to shoot in the wind a lot. However, youcan dry fire your wind practice too. Take your kestrel with you everywhere you go. Guess what the wind is doingand then check it. This will allow you to calibrate yourself in fairly short order. Of course, that only teaches you to read wind at your location. What its doing at the target, and everywhere in between is what is really difficult to learn. You dont always have handy vegetation everywhere you want.
    Last edited by SLG; 02-02-2016 at 01:38 PM.

Site Supporter
    I am a pistol guy who has taken a couple precision rifle courses which I have really enjoyed. No PRS experience.

My issues were developing the ability to pull the trigger at a given point in the respiratory pause (bottom, middle, or top of the breath), effectively running the bolt, and getting the ability to see my hits through the scope. Most of this could be worked on in my garage with dry practice.

The classes I have taken have unfortunately been under pretty mild conditions with known ranges or relatively easy ranging.

Too many things to shoot, too little time.

Site Supporter
    What precision rifle courses are people taking that are good to go?

I've heard Rifles Only is reputable.

I'd be more interested in mid-range semi auto stuff (SPR distances) than much beyond 600 yards but that may change.

Looking for qualified schools/instructors as I'm having trouble find real AARs to vet with.

Been a long time lurker on SnipersHide but their new layout is unusable and unsearchable.
    Last edited by rjohnson4405; 02-02-2016 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Forgot to mention SnipersHide.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post

I've heard Rifles Only is reputable.

I'd be more interested in mid-range semi auto stuff (SPR distances) than much beyond 600 yards but that may change.

Looking for qualified schools/instructors as I'm having trouble find real AARs to vet with.

Been a long time lurker on SnipersHide but their new layout is unusable and unsearchable.
    NYETI did an article on Training at Rifles only for the Surefire propaganda magazine a few years ago. Hopefully he will chime in here.

I've heard good things about precision rifle training by Jim Smith at Spartan Tactical as well.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-02-2016 at 05:27 PM.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by rjohnson4405 View Post
    I've taken Mid-Range Rifle at Thunder Ranch twice now and I would recommend it. I am close to Magpul Core classes out of Yakima, WA and been eyeing classes there for a while.

If you are near southeastern Ohio check out Thunder Valley Precision. The owner offers a few training days a year and might still be willing to schedule individual or small group training

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    For example: I can take a guy that has never shot a pistol and, assuming some limited faculties, budget and desire, turn him into a A-class USPSA shooter within a year. I can do this because I have a very specific plan on exactly what to practice, up to what point, until a person is "good enough".
    Would you be willing to share in another thread? Would be interesting to see if what I'm working on is totally off base to becoming a better shooter and areas I should work on.

User Tag List