Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Precision: Bolt gun or Semi-Auto?

Precision: Bolt gun or Semi-Auto?

If you were going to start from the ground up, say on .260, what would you prefer to build and why?

Some are saying that semi-automatics are getting accurate enough; does a bolt gun matter anymore?

I've heard one source say bolt guns can handle higher pressure, potentially?

Quote Originally Posted by Les Pepperoni View Post
    If you were going to start from the ground up, say on .260, what would you prefer to build and why?

Some are saying that semi-automatics are getting accurate enough; does a bolt gun matter anymore?

I've heard one source say bolt guns can handle higher pressure, potentially?
    I'd do a 6.5 Grendel. An AR15 sized rifle is so much easier to handle and tote than an AR10 sized one.
    #RESIST

Look at www.precisionrifleblog.com especially the 'What the Pros Use' section. Of the top 100 competitors in the PRS, none are using a semi-auto.

Now, you know as well as I do that just because no one uses a semi-auto, that doesn't mean it's impossible to use a semi-auto. If you want to shoot a gas gun for fun, or because it's your duty weapon, or just to prove that it can be done, that's all cool. But if you want to compete and win, you'll do best with a bolt gun in 6mm or 6.5mm.
    -C

My blog: The Way of the Multigun

Also, Les you need to define what you want to do with the rifle. You want tiny, tiny bugholes - go bolt all the way. Semis are close on accuracy but bolt guns will always be more accurate and you can get very good accuracy for less with bolt guns.
    #RESIST

Les is just a 3 gunner to the soul and he wants to impress the ladies
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    you know the shotgun and I are so tight...

Quote Originally Posted by Peally View Post
    I loathe 3-gun to the core of my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Rhines View Post
    Look at www.precisionrifleblog.com especially the 'What the Pros Use' section. Of the top 100 competitors in the PRS, none are using a semi-auto.

Now, you know as well as I do that just because no one uses a semi-auto, that doesn't mean it's impossible to use a semi-auto. If you want to shoot a gas gun for fun, or because it's your duty weapon, or just to prove that it can be done, that's all cool. But if you want to compete and win, you'll do best with a bolt gun in 6mm or 6.5mm.
    Been all over that blog - reading a lot - figured I'd cast the net a bit wider and see what others thing.

I've got a lead on .260 brass, so I'm 99% sure the caliber is decided.

I would take a nimble bolt gun for PRS.

I'm just a know nothing, but neck sized loads group much better for me than FL. I ran a specific experiment with .223 and got 3/4" versus 1.1", average of 3 5 round groups.
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List