Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Flitecontrol vs regular buck through a tight choke

Hornady's OO buck load patterns very well also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm trying to convince a couple of co-workers to go in on a case, because that's probably the only way I'll ever be able to find any, and afford it.
    Ah yes, the mythical LE132 1B...

I found some of Doc's preferred unobtanium loading a few months back. Shoots a bit under 2" at 10 yards (basically one big ragged hole) out of my cylinder bore 18" Ithaca 37. Recoil is surprisingly light for buck (felt like birdshot to me). I initially bought it simply on his say so, but I "get it" now. I don't think there's a shotgun loading that offers a better balance of accuracy, shootability, and terminal ballistics for two legged predators.

Source was targetsportsusa at ~$4/box of 5.

It's a bit more expensive, but there's some in stock here (nevermind the misleading URL): http://www.ammunitiondepot.com/Feder...-p/le1321b.htm

Choke is a relative measure. It's the amount of constriction at the muzzle relative to nominal bore diameter. An over/back bored barrel, like a Browning Invector plus at .742" can have a lot more restriction than a Remington barrel at .727" and still have a larger muzzle diameter. An Invector Plus modified choke and a Remington cylinder bore will measure the same at the muzzle. For advise that's is worth as much as you paid for it, if your barrel and/or choke tube is rated for steel shot, a swaged foster slug shouldn't be an issue. All the stuff about don't use X, Y, or Z choke with slugs doesn't mean much since it doesn't account for actual muzzle diameter. Most split and banana barrel, and cracked choke tubes are from wads hanging on a screw in choke tube and the next round hits a bore obstruction.
    Last edited by pablo; 02-01-2016 at 02:23 PM.

I can't add much more other than the Fed FC is F*****G great. I have used it for deer hunting for years. I have my best patterns with MC.

Try to shoot some with different chokes at different ranges, there is nothing like seeing it yourself.

In free-range, non-GMO, organic, fair trade Broad Ripple, IN
    Statistics of small numbers and all, but here are some patterns out of a 20" Remington cylinder bore barrel at ten yards.
    Books. Bikes. Boomsticks.

I can explain it to you. I can’t understand it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    Question for Doc or others who know (with apologies if this has been discussed, I didn't find it through a search). I understand the benefits of Flitecontrol shot through the typical "fighting" shotgun with an improved cylinder or cylinder choke -- a much tighter pattern over a longer distance than standard buck out of an open choke. But if the idea of Flitecontrol is to give an extremely tight pattern all the way out to 30 or even 40 yards, why not just run regular buckshot through a modified or improved modified or even full choke (assuming you have a gun threaded for chokes).

It would be easier and cheaper to be able to buy regular 1 buck and the right choke tube rather than chasing down the expensive and hard-to-find Flitecontrol 1 buck. Does a tight choke cause pellet deformation that leads to fliers? I should add that I have not patterned regular buckshot out of a tight choke -- I just got a cylinder choke tube and some Flitecontrol! Nonetheless, I'm curious to know. Thanks.
    For every constriction in choke that I went up (tighter), I lost about 5 yards in pattern efficacy through my Benelli M4, using Flite Control. However, at 50 yards, conventional buckshot was superior, regardless of the choke used. Flite Control would shoot 12" patterns at 50 yards from a friends Mossberg 590 though, as the bore ID is larger. Flite Control hates choke. Any choke.

Quote Originally Posted by BobM View Post
    Hornady's OO buck load patterns very well also.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    It patterned absolutely terrible for me. As in, twice as bad at 15 yards as the Wincheser green-hull military surplus, lol

SHOTGUNS HAVE PERSONALITY!

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    Flite Control would shoot 12" patterns at 50 yards
    At 50 yards my question would be how does it penetrate?
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by Hambo View Post
    At 50 yards my question would be how does it penetrate?
    At least 12" in gel, I believe.

User Tag List