Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Flitecontrol vs regular buck through a tight choke

Flitecontrol vs regular buck through a tight choke

Question for Doc or others who know (with apologies if this has been discussed, I didn't find it through a search). I understand the benefits of Flitecontrol shot through the typical "fighting" shotgun with an improved cylinder or cylinder choke -- a much tighter pattern over a longer distance than standard buck out of an open choke. But if the idea of Flitecontrol is to give an extremely tight pattern all the way out to 30 or even 40 yards, why not just run regular buckshot through a modified or improved modified or even full choke (assuming you have a gun threaded for chokes).

It would be easier and cheaper to be able to buy regular 1 buck and the right choke tube rather than chasing down the expensive and hard-to-find Flitecontrol 1 buck. Does a tight choke cause pellet deformation that leads to fliers? I should add that I have not patterned regular buckshot out of a tight choke -- I just got a cylinder choke tube and some Flitecontrol! Nonetheless, I'm curious to know. Thanks.

Site Supporter
    You are much more likely to have flyers running regular buckshot loads through any choke or no choke. Just in my own area, I am aware of 3 people hit by flyers, when the main load hit the intended target and 1 pellet flew off by itself and hit another person. Flite-Control for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Givens View Post
    You are much more likely to have flyers running regular buckshot loads through any choke or no choke. Just in my own area, I am aware of 3 people hit by flyers, when the main load hit the intended target and 1 pellet flew off by itself and hit another person. Flite-Control for me.
    Thanks, Tom -- that makes sense and I appreciate the real world feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by Xrslug View Post
    But if the idea of Flitecontrol is to give an extremely tight pattern all the way out to 30 or even 40 yards, why not just run regular buckshot through a modified or improved modified or even full choke (assuming you have a gun threaded for chokes).
    I've tried this (with 00 buck - never seen #1 Flitecontrol buck here). Usually (but not always!) I get best patterns with budget buckshot using a full choke, but the pattern is still not as tight at 25-30m as when using Flitecontrol ammunition and a modified choke.
    IDPA SSP classification: Sharpshooter
    F.A.S.T. classification: Intermediate

Quote Originally Posted by Tony1911 View Post
    ...never seen #1 Flitecontrol buck here...
    I'm trying to convince a couple of co-workers to go in on a case, because that's probably the only way I'll ever be able to find any, and afford it.
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I'm trying to convince a couple of co-workers to go in on a case, because that's probably the only way I'll ever be able to find any, and afford it.
    I was finally able to find some of the 1 buck flitecontrol but the difficulty in locating it and the relative cost is what had me thinking about the option of generic buckshot through a tight choke.

Here's what I have put together reference the F/C wad vs regular 00 Buck with a choke. The F/C wad is closer to the size of an open bore. Thus when the F/C wad comes through the open choke, it clears the bore while still retaining the shot. As the wad exits the bore and the rear fins start to open up, that slows the wad down allowing the shot to continue on unmolested by the choke. When you shoot the F/C wad through a full choke, it hits the choke while exiting. When the wad comes through the tighter bore, it slows and seperates from the shot column sooner. This causes the shot to outrun the wad for longer, thus allowing it to spread more.

When a regular 00 Buck, non F/C travels down a full choke bore, the choke itself can dent and damage the shot as the load passes through. Since there is no F/C wad to protect the shot, the shot gets deformed and causes flyers.
    This theory is put together from shooting F/C wads at distance through all choke types, reading Federal's info on F/C, and many, many shot targets.
    This is only my idea, but I think it holds water.

Quote Originally Posted by VegasHK View Post
    Here's what I have put together reference the F/C wad vs regular 00 Buck with a choke. The F/C wad is closer to the size of an open bore. Thus when the F/C wad comes through the open choke, it clears the bore while still retaining the shot. As the wad exits the bore and the rear fins start to open up, that slows the wad down allowing the shot to continue on unmolested by the choke. When you shoot the F/C wad through a full choke, it hits the choke while exiting. When the wad comes through the tighter bore, it slows and seperates from the shot column sooner. This causes the shot to outrun the wad for longer, thus allowing it to spread more.

When a regular 00 Buck, non F/C travels down a full choke bore, the choke itself can dent and damage the shot as the load passes through. Since there is no F/C wad to protect the shot, the shot gets deformed and causes flyers.
    This theory is put together from shooting F/C wads at distance through all choke types, reading Federal's info on F/C, and many, many shot targets.
    This is only my idea, but I think it holds water.
    It might. Based on limited patterning, my modified barrel didn't throw any tighter patterns of FC at 15 and 25 than my cyclinder bore barrel, but the modified patterns looked more ragged, less concentric.
    Last edited by JHC; 02-01-2016 at 07:48 AM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Like many .22 rimfires, shotguns quite often can be a law unto themselves. Before advanced wad technology came along, patterns were largely controlled by how well the pellets remained "round" (using various buffering mediums) while being launched down the barrel. Choke plays a much larger role in producing good patterns when using these buffered offerings and some excellent results can be achieved if you can find the right combination of load and constriction.

If you have a fixed choke gun, the combinations are obviously fairly limited and it won't take long to figure out what works best. If you have interchangeable chokes however, the process can get lengthy with all the conceivable combinations. The reward can be worth the effort however since you can usually find a "low tech" (cheaper and available) load that works well in your gun.
    Last edited by 41magfan; 02-01-2016 at 08:50 AM.
    The path of least resistance will seldom get you where you need to be.

Site Supporter
    Also there is only so tight a choke you can run and still run slugs, I believe improved cylinder is the tightest but do your own research or someone correct me.

I started to use Muller choke and I have been quite impressed. Started on my trap and field guns and now I run one on my 870 truck gun.

User Tag List