Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: HK "gamer" gun for USPSA

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I also agree that "shooting" is a relativley small percentage of winning.
    I judt checked with my friendly neighborhood uspsa expert, and she disagrees with me.

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I misunderstood his question. Here is my classification record when I was shooting a P30 LEM in USPSA:

10/27/12 06-01 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING Y 79.5172 12/11/12
    9/28/12 99-10 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING D 59.7695 11/09/12
    6/16/12 99-10 PEACEMAKER NATIONAL PRACTICAL SHOOTERS F 73.9634 6/25/12
    3/31/12 99-13 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING Y 78.4336 4/11/12
    3/18/12 99-10 NORTH MOUNTAIN PRACTICAL SHOOTERS D 73.5966 4/06/12
    11/06/11 03-08 FREDERICKSBURG ROD & GUN CLUB F 77.0636 11/10/11
    9/30/11 09-10 SIR WALTER GUN CLUB E 70.8015 10/10/11
    9/24/11 99-10 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING E 65.2554 10/11/11
    9/18/11 99-23 NORTH MOUNTAIN PRACTICAL SHOOTERS E 67.4012 10/06/11
    8/27/11 99-28 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING E 69.6364 9/12/11
    4/23/11 06-04 SUMMIT POINT ACTION SHOOTING E 70.6377 5/12/11
    Josh, thanks! Can you provide some analysis. As I recall you are now a Production M and shoot a 34?

Does this show you shot three A classifiers with the P30, and did you become an A with the P30 or something else?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Good info joshs, thanks for posting that.

I agree that doing well in USPSA is primarily and overwhelmingly about shooting. And not just standing and shooting, but shooting integrated with a full spectrum of movement as well as some tough positioning. That's something that I've come to see as a higher order of shooting skill. I guess what I am really doing here is agreeing with the basic philosophy behind 'practical shooting' - using the venue of competition to create pressure and test shooting and gunhandling across a variety of shooting problems and integrate that shooting with a wide spectrum of physical movement and position. And it tests some other things too, but I don't conceptualize those other things as anywhere near 80% of doing well. I've looked at a bunch of classification records, as I've found the USPSA classification system to be both frustrating and fascinating. Sure looks to me like the people who do the best and most consistent shooting on classifiers also do the best in matches, though there are some finer points and variation by individual in there too. I see USPSA as being about on-demand shooting and gunhandling more than anything else.

OP: I think you have to decide what your root interest is. If it's to do well in USPSA, you might go with a pure gaming gun, or at least one that is a juiced-up version of your duty/defense gun, like you were talking about doing. If your root interest is to use USPSA to improve your abilities with your duty/defense gun in the ways that it can do that, and the game is subordinate to that interest, then I think the thing to do is use your actual duty gun and gear, or exact copies of them. You might have to shoot Limited or Open if your gear doesn't fit in Production, but if your interest is purely defensive, then so what.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

I judt checked with my friendly neighborhood uspsa expert, and she disagrees with me.
    LOL
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

LOL.

Site Supporter
    I'm a Production M, but I don't really shoot much Production other than shooting a couple of classifiers last year so I could make M in Production so that I could avoid being classified B in Limited, which is all I've been shooting because I wanna be like Gabe (except I'm shooting a 19 instead of a 34).

I actually excluded the final classifier I shot with the P30, it was:

8/03/13 99-11 PEACEMAKER NATIONAL PRACTICAL SHOOTERS D 82.5356 8/29/13

Based on that classifier, I made A.

Site Supporter
    She seems like a really smart lady. I would listen to her.

Nobody has any love for the Combat Competition?

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Is that where the scoring just totals alphas with time being used just to break alpha ties?
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by Danjojo View Post
    Love for LEM (match or otherwise) and the USP platform seems to be in short supply among the serious gamers.

I've only seen one person, who I think is/was affiliated with HK running a USP, Matt Holmes. He set it up like a combat competition but TDA. This was in Idpa so it was ESP. I'm not sure whether he used it in USPSA - if it would be OK in production or if he maybe had a version in 40.

My understanding re the downside to the USP platform for competition purposes is that the dual recoil system makes them flippy and inconsistent, though it does a great job of ensuring frame/parts longevity. Bruce Gray made reference to modifying (removing) their small spring and messing with the main recoil spring weight in order to make the sights return more consistently.

If anyone else has experience running a USP at a high level, I'd be very curious to hear how it was set up.

User Tag List