Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: HK "gamer" gun for USPSA

Others have already given you the winning formula for an HK in USPSA. VP9 with Dawson sights and a lot of practice. Trigger preference is up to you and how sensitive you are to it. My competition VP9 currently has an ultra-match spring kit from HKParts, a slight polish by me, and a super secret squirrel prototype striker assembly from an HK guru at HK Zentrale. Before all that, I did just fine with the trigger stock, but the lighter trigger does make it easier to pay less attention on 20yard mini-poppers and still get good hits.

I moved from a Mink tuned CZ75 SP01 to the VP9, it's not a handicap. I love that I really don't have to worry if my pistol will run or not, it just works. Oh, and hits exactly where I aim.
    Last edited by Talionis; 02-01-2016 at 12:51 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by YVK View Post
    My HKs are irreplaceable because I am a stone cold beer. I mean, killer, not beer. But beer too.
    If you have pointers to stone cold beer in Utah, do tell for A1! I didn't make it on to the cool P-F squad, but I will visit at the least.

...GJM got his too, maybe he knows more.

In addition, it is replacing my Berettas, not the HKs. My HKs are irreplaceable because I am a stone cold beer. I mean, killer, not beer. But beer too.

LOL. I know. I've been keeping up on your antics! Have you gotten it back yet?

Site Supporter
    DA/SA P30L with light springs or VP9 with whatever action kit is available.

I shoot a GGI P30L LEM in USPSA. It is fun. I am not competitive. It is fun. The gun is not competitive although I think it is capable of supporting high B, maybe low A level of performance. It is still fun. I wouldn't shoot anything compact in USPSA for about half dozen reasons. Enjoy the game.
    If the VP -9 isn't your thing, I know a Border Patrol Agent who shoots a P30LS DA/SA in USPSA here in TX and does well enough to get himself some sponsorship.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    Dude, haven't you been paying attention? HKs are best used only by stone cold killers. They represent the very antithesis of gaming and shouldn't be mixed with "fun shooting" of any sort. In fact, the Germans are likely to send the Nachtkrapp after your soul for even suggesting such a travesty! I suggest you repent immediately to avoid any late night blanket party visits, or worse yet, disgruntled PMs from HK stalwarts the likes of Jodyh or Nyeti!
    If you smiled in your CHL photo, you are not HK material.
    Last edited by HCM; 02-01-2016 at 02:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    Others have already given you the winning formula for an HK in USPSA. VP9 with Dawson sights and a lot of practice. Trigger preference is up to you and how sensitive you are to it. My competition VP9 currently has an ultra-match spring kit from HKParts, a slight polish by me, and a super secret squirrel prototype striker assembly from an HK guru at HK Zentrale. Before all that, I did just fine with the trigger stock, but the lighter trigger does make it easier to pay less attention on 20yard mini-poppers and still get good hits.

+1 on the VP9 with Dawson sights. They make a nice set of competition tritiums, though I suspect the gamers go FO.

+0.5 on the ultra match spring set. There are two springs included in the kit, and the match sear spring is great, but the trigger return spring being too slow/sluggish to reset is a common enough complaint with the match version. I ended up going back to stock, but ymmv. While you're digging around inside the sear assembly, a couple minutes of polishing would not go amiss.

New striker assembly? Interesting. From my limited understanding of VP9 function, the striker is simply released (not tensioned by the trigger pull) so I'm curious to hear how this might affect trigger feel/ weight.

Quote Originally Posted by Talionis View Post
    If you have pointers to stone cold beer in Utah, do tell for A1!
    Just tell me if you want to start before the match, during the match, after the match, of instead of the match.
    Seriously, we need to get together, all of us. I am thinking Sat lunch. Walkthrough is always better after beer anyway.

I would have said that I was impressed with VP9 holding its own against Mink Shadow but I'd be afraid that it would've messed with my friend GJM's mind. So I won't say that.

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    If the VP -9 isn't your thing, I know a Border Patrol Agent who shoots a P30LS DA/SA in USPSA here in TX and does well enough to get himself some sponsorship.
    Before the VP9 times TDA P30L were what HK gamers mostly used. I personally shoot LEM because of a condition called an obstinate timmitus. I carry P30 LEM so I shoot P30L LEM in games. Interestingly, I could not find any performance difference between the two. It remains to be seen if Tanfo will change that.
    Last edited by YVK; 02-01-2016 at 03:13 AM.

My buddies seem to have the hardware options nailed down, so now it is time to focus on the outfit. I heard you can get a good deal on these.

Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

For a "gamer H&K" that's still close to a V2 LEM, a V2 P30L .40 with a nickel plated flat spring, good sights and some +4 Taylor Freelance magazine baseplates.
    That'll get you in the ballpark (I made A in Limited with that exact setup, shooting from concealed).
    My laziness when it comes to stage planning and walk-thu's hurt me more in USPSA than the H&K or shooting from concealment did.
    That and I refuse to wear lycra... that right there cost me several points per stage.
    Last edited by JodyH; 02-01-2016 at 08:33 AM.
    "For a moment he felt good about this. A moment or two later he felt bad about feeling good about it. Then he felt good about feeling bad about feeling good about it and, satisfied, drove on into the night."
    -- Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy --

Quote Originally Posted by 45dotACP View Post
    If you're just starting, I'd run what you've got in Limited with fully loaded mags until you've got a more accurate assessment of your needs. The gun you have is more than accurate enough and also the most similar to the gun you're carrying

Don't worry about being competitive yet. Worry first about being safe. The other stuff will become clear with practice.

Sent from my VS876 using Tapatalk
    Very much this.

"It's the Indian, Not the Arrow", right?

For the first year or two of competition, you will be your biggest handicap, not your gun. Concentrate on wringing every last bit of performance out of yourself. You'll be surprised with what you can accomplish with a P2000 LEM.

If you're just looking for an excuse to buy a new gun, then never mind.

User Tag List