Thread: Transferring a Title II item to one self

Question Transferring a Title II item to one self

This is a kind of odd question. I have bunch of class 3/title II items. All of them but one are under my LLC. The the lone item (an SBR) was registered as an individual when I first got into this stuff. Can I transfer this item to my LLC by just filing a Form 4 with me the individual as the transferor, and my LLC as the transferee without using a class 3 dealer as the middleman?

Site Supporter
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't - two individuals in the same state can transfer items directly on a form 4. There will of corse be a $200 transfer tax.

I'm not sure the motive behind the transfer but apparently your heirs can now inherit your NFA items tax free,

Quote Originally Posted by HCM View Post
    I don't see any reason why you couldn't - two individuals in the same state can transfer items directly on a form 4. There will of corse be a $200 transfer tax.

I'm not sure the motive behind the transfer but apparently your heirs can now inherit your NFA items tax free,
    Thanks for the info. It's for estate planning. I want to take care of it before 41F is in full effect.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Paul D View Post
    Thanks for the info. It's for estate planning. I want to take care of it before 41F is in full effect.
    You're probably aware, but you get a tax free transfer for transfers that are part of execution of a will. You can devise NFA firearms into an entity via a will without paying transfer tax. That may not be appropriate for your planning needs, but it is an option that many don't know about.

This post is not legal advice and no attorney-client relationship is expressed or implied.

User Tag List