Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Known good pistol loads

My 45acp new load

I started with CFE powder and then finally went with TiteGroup powder. This is what I ended up with:

The CFE for me was not as good as the titegroup powder I reloaded with this time for my 45. My EDC is the Colt Combat Commander 4.25" barrel. Formula for my Best load to date: Everglades 230 gn FMJ round nose, 4.2 gn of TiteGroup, COL of 1.248, Primers Fed or Win large (both worked ok, but I prefer the Federal). I saw no difference in the various brass that I had. I did a slow load on my Dillon Press to verify everything (powder and seatings of primer and bullet and tolerances) on EACH AND EVERY round. This was so good for my specific EDC, I doubt I will change my formula.

Difference in CFE and Titegroup Powder was about 2" for titegroup vs 6" for CFE groupings at 25 yds. My previous FMJ round nose was seated at 1.265 and used CFE of various volumes of between 6.0gn to 6.8gn and I could never achieve even close to what my current formula gives. Also the reduction in kick is very noticeable, (as President Trump says: Bigley).

Jim

Site Supporter
    I've shot this 45 ACP load since the mid-1990s. It was intended to duplicate the performance of JMBrowning's original recipe for the cartridge, a 200g bullet @ 900 fps from a 5" barrel. I loaded the H&G #68 SWC over 6g of 231. Bullet was seated to give optimum feeding and reliability. I may have measured it way back when but I've long forgotten. With this load I put something over 20,000 rounds through a lightly customized Government Model, then duplicated the same record through a 3rd G21 with a Bar-Sto barrel.

A blood test showing higher than normal levels of lead in my system put an end to the cast bullets. I switched to Berry's plated 200g RS and found by chronographing I had to bump the powder up to 6.2g. This coincided with a new 8# jug of 231 so it might have been as much the new batch of powder as the plated bullets that required another .2g to get 900 fps. And yes I chronographed it from a Government Model, not from the G21. And, the Berry's bullet and load works just dandy in Moonclips through a 45 ACP Mountain Gun and a 4" 325 PD.

Since finding myself old and broken (lol) I don't shoot near as much as I used to but still have used up a couple sleeves of WLPs loading these plated rounds. If I ever shoot up my supply of the Berry's RS I'll probably switch to their HP offering, just to make them look more serious. (smile)

Dave

357mag.
    180gr XTP over 13g of W296
    1,000 FPS through Uberti El Patron 5.5” barrel.
    Good feel and accurate.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uRBvMzKZEFY

Quote Originally Posted by Ancient1 View Post
    I started with CFE powder and then finally went with TiteGroup powder. This is what I ended up with:

The CFE for me was not as good as the titegroup powder I reloaded with this time for my 45. My EDC is the Colt Combat Commander 4.25" barrel. Formula for my Best load to date: Everglades 230 gn FMJ round nose, 4.2 gn of TiteGroup, COL of 1.248, Primers Fed or Win large (both worked ok, but I prefer the Federal). I saw no difference in the various brass that I had. I did a slow load on my Dillon Press to verify everything (powder and seatings of primer and bullet and tolerances) on EACH AND EVERY round. This was so good for my specific EDC, I doubt I will change my formula.

Difference in CFE and Titegroup Powder was about 2" for titegroup vs 6" for CFE groupings at 25 yds. My previous FMJ round nose was seated at 1.265 and used CFE of various volumes of between 6.0gn to 6.8gn and I could never achieve even close to what my current formula gives. Also the reduction in kick is very noticeable, (as President Trump says: Bigley).

Jim
    I should hope so, you have cut the velocity by 100 - 200 fps.
    Code Name: JET STREAM

Thanks

Thanks for helping me out. It’s a great start.

Stephan A Camp 9mm +P load

Stephan A Camp 9mm +P load

124gr Hornady XTP
    6.0 Grains Unique
    OAL - 1.11
    1245 FPS

I have shot these in most all my 9mm's and they have worked great.

10mm revolver:
    Accurate .40-224H cast (http://www.accuratemolds.com/bullet_...bullet=40-224H) sized .402.
    15 grains IMR 4227
    WLP primer.

This gives 970-980 fps from my 4” GP100 and averages 2.5” 5-shot groups at 50 yards from a sandbagged bench rest.

Max is 16 grains, but 15 gave the best accuracy.

Thanks to Outpost75 for sharing this combination.

Name:  edrPDIC.jpg
Views: 530
Size:  76.5 KB
    On the ragged edge of the world I'll roam,
    And the home of the wolf shall be my home - Robert Service

My favorite training load in 9mm is:

124 gr Precision Delta JHP
    4.9 gr VV N340
    1.085" - 1.090" OAL
    CCI SP Primer
    Mixed brass

Good for about 1,080 - 1,110 fps from a 4.5" barrel and will hold <2" 10-round groups at 25 yards. Recoil is soft.

POI is sim-to 124 gr Gold Dots.

I’ve been loading ”the” stereotypical jacketed .45 load for my metallic sight bullseye guns and discovered recently that it functions just fine through a couple of standard-sprung 1911s.

Zero 185gr JHP (the conical one)
    4.5gr Bullseye
    Mixed LP brass
    Rem or Win LPP
    Nominal COAL: 1.205”
    Crimp: 0.469-0.470”

Velocity is running high 700s and it produces tiny groups.
    Well, you may be a man. You may be a leprechaun. Only one thing’s for sure… you’re in the wrong basement.

User Tag List