Thread: Handgun loads with HS-7?

Handgun loads with HS-7?

At some point in the past 15 years I picked up a pound of HS-7. It lists a single load each .45 Colt, .44 Mag and 10mm on the label but the Hodgdon website doesn't list anything but shotgun recipes for HS-7.

Is it only suitable for full house Magnum loads or can it be used for lighter .44 Special and .45 Colt loads? Can it be used for .38/.357?

Thanks!
    Nothing so needs reforming as other people's habits - Mark Twain

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

Site Supporter
    My Speer #14 shows loads for .357 Magnum, and .45 Colt in the Ruger and Contender section. Hornady's 7th Edition shows loads for .357 Magnum with 110- and 125-grain bullets. My old (copyright '78) Lyman Pistol & Revolver Handbook shows some for .357 Magnum and .44 Special.

I remember using it some years ago with no memorable results. It does not burn cleanly, brushing out the chambers after each cylinderful would be a good idea.

PM me for specific info.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

Thanks!

I'm not into romp'em stomp'em loads for anything anymore so it sounds like it might be put to better use making 12ga loads, but I'm curious enough about .357 and .44 that a PM is inbound.

Tact is the knack of making a point without making an enemy / Where is the wisdom we have lost in knowledge?

I dabbled with it loading .44specials. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember testing a pretty good load, velocity accuracy, etc. with a 255 swc. I gave up on the powder after I learned that it was discontinued and moved on to other offerings. It was a pound that I had bought to load .45 long colt but never got to. If you want I will go back through my note for the .44 special load. it may take a day or 2.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I dabbled with it loading .44specials. I don't remember specifics, but I do remember testing a pretty good load, velocity accuracy, etc. with a 255 swc. I gave up on the powder after I learned that it was discontinued and moved on to other offerings. It was a pound that I had bought to load .45 long colt but never got to. If you want I will go back through my note for the .44 special load. it may take a day or 2.
    Thanks and no rush! I lucked into an 8# jug of 231 last week for about half the going rate so any HS-7 loads will be a back burner project. And since I'm currently .44-less, I have some penny rolling time.

I didn't know it was discontinued. Maybe that explains why there's no pistol data on the website?

Quote Originally Posted by awp_101 View Post
    Thanks and no rush! I lucked into an 8# jug of 231 last week for about half the going rate so any HS-7 loads will be a back burner project. And since I'm currently .44-less, I have some penny rolling time.

I didn't know it was discontinued. Maybe that explains why there's no pistol data on the website?
    I would say so and Hogdon's claim is Longshot replaced HS7 and 571, I don't know if data correlates. I got my loads from John Taffin articles if that helps.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I would say so and Hogdon's claim is Longshot replaced HS7 and 571, I don't know if data correlates. I got my loads from John Taffin articles if that helps.
    Longshot sure burns cleaner! Be forewarned, though, that it has earned its nickname of Loudshot.
    "Everything in life is really simple, provided you don’t know a f—–g thing about it." - Kevin D. Williamson

User Tag List