Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Alliant reloader availability

Alliant reloader availability

Alliant reloader powder seems to come up a lot as recommendations for the loads I am working on. Typically the 20X and 30X versions.

But I've never for the life of me seen these available anywhere. I've signed up for several places for back in stock notification. That was months ago. Never gotten a notification.

I do see these on Google for sale but pretty sure that those are scams. Any place that wants me to pay with either zelle or venmo turns me off immediately.

Is this still part of the "were not quite back to normal yet", or something else going on?

Many Alliant powders have been spotty, availability wise, for many years now, even pre-covid. I used to use RL-19 in a good .30-06 load, but I plan to move to something else soon, that's generally more available.

I don't think Alliant loves us anymore. I have enough Promo, Unique, Bullseye, 2400 and RX7 to last a while longer, but I'd sure be proud to have more of almost everything.
    Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem
    I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude
    -Thomas Jefferson
    I prefer dangerous freedom over peaceful slavery.

I am curious which Alliant powders you are having a hard time finding?

You can usually find a substitute in another manufacturer that works well.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I am curious which Alliant powders you are having a hard time finding?

You can usually find a substitute in another manufacturer that works well.
    22, 23, 26, 33 just off the top of my head.

At this point have used Hodgdon in my reloads, but wanted to have something else to try out especially if I can't get a good accuracy out of what I have.

Quote Originally Posted by ccmdfd View Post
    22, 23, 26, 33 just off the top of my head.
    I don't think that is necessarily the fault of Alliant. There have been some recent cartridge releases that are putting a high demand for powders that fall in that burn rate. Take a look at some of the VihtaVuori offerings. They may have a few that could fill your need, and tend to be available right now.
    -Seconds Count. Misses Don't-

But I've never for the life of me seen these available anywhere.
    Neither have I, and I've been doing this for quite a while. Alliant's data for those you mention seems to be mainly in the 7mm-.338 range. I'm not sure why you would pick one over the other in the same cartridge, or why you would even try. I have found over long experience that most rifles are pretty forgiving, hence I no longer chase a few FPS or whatever it is that is supposedly better about a new powder.
    "Gunfighting is a thinking man's game. So we might want to bring thinking back into it."-MDFA

Beware of my temper, and the dog that I've found...

Quote Originally Posted by SecondsCount View Post
    I don't think that is necessarily the fault of Alliant. There have been some recent cartridge releases that are putting a high demand for powders that fall in that burn rate. Take a look at some of the VihtaVuori offerings. They may have a few that could fill your need, and tend to be available right now.

Not necessarily blaming alliant. Just curious as to why I can never seem to find these things.

I've looked at VitaVouti load data, haven't been able to find the right combination for the bullets I particularly like to shoot, Barnes, at least in the weights I like to shoot.

Which brings up a somewhat related question:
    If you're looking for load data with a specific copper bullet, let's say 140 grains just for example, and there is no data for that specific bullet, but you do see load recommendations for a 140 grain lead bullet; can you use the same charge weights for those bullets?

Thanks

Not necessarily blaming alliant. Just curious as to why I can never seem to find these things.

I've looked at VitaVouti load data, haven't been able to find the right combination for the bullets I particularly like to shoot, Barnes, at least in the weights I like to shoot.

Which brings up a somewhat related question:
    If you're looking for load data with a specific copper bullet, let's say 140 grains just for example, and there is no data for that specific bullet, but you do see load recommendations for a 140 grain lead bullet; can you use the same charge weights for those bullets?

Thanks
    I have had good luck reaching out to bullet manufacturers for data that is int published. They may not have exact data but they can give you guidance in working up loads.

I have had to switch some of my loads to Hogdon powders because of the Alliant shortage. When I run out of what is left of my R19 I will be swapping my .280 loads over too. I have gotten equal or better results with Hogdon, it was just an endeavor to test everything again.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazy Dane View Post
    I have had good luck reaching out to bullet manufacturers for data that is int published. They may not have exact data but they can give you guidance in working up loads.

I have had to switch some of my loads to Hogdon powders because of the Alliant shortage. When I run out of what is left of my R19 I will be swapping my .280 loads over too. I have gotten equal or better results with Hogdon, it was just an endeavor to test everything again.
    Thanks

User Tag List