Page 3 of 25 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your reloading setups!

At first I thought.....well, I'd better clean everything up so it looks good, but then realized that I'd never post the pic or information up! So here it is...I have a couple of other work area for rifle tinkering, pistol cleaning, etc.

Name:  IMG_1874.jpg
Views: 1822
Size:  51.4 KB

The Forster Coax is for run of the mill rifle cartridges: .223, .204, 6X45, 6.8SPC, .260 etc...mostly prefer Redding dies.

The Lee 4-hole turret press on the right side of the table is for pistol loading: 9mm, .40 & .45....using Lee Carbide dies...very happy with them.

For precision rifle work (6.5X47 Lapua/6BR--600yd and 300yd matches) I used the 21st Century arbor press and Wilson neck dies and seater, with Redding Titanium bushings.

For primer seating, I can't say enough about 21st Century's hand primers....I have two and wouldn't want to use anything else.

Name:  primer.jpeg
Views: 1073
Size:  19.6 KB

I use the RCBS Chargemaster electronic powder dispenser.....I've used a wide variety of methods over the last 30 years, and find it to be dependable and accurate.

As you can see, I"m not a high volume reloader, and since I'm retired I have the time to do it my way, and make it right.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

I'm glad to see Lee represented, especially the Classic Turret Press. I've just been singing it's praises to LL, and I think it is the best press for most people to start off with. Lee may not be the highest quality, but it's not the Lee of the 1980's either. Much of their stuff is well designed and available inexpensively.

I'm a gear snob, no doubt, but my Lee stuff makes .5 moa 308 loads for me just as well as my Redding Competition Micrometer dies and T-7. The redding stuff is really nice, high quality stuff, and slightly easier to dial in and return to, but once its set up right, the Lee stuff will definitely get 'er done. I use Lee a lot, as well as Redding, RCBS and Dillon. All have their pros and cons.

Has anyone tried the new Lee Pro drum measure? I just ordered one, and intend to try 300WM on the Turret Press with it.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Has anyone tried the new Lee Pro drum measure? I just ordered one, and intend to try 300WM on the Turret Press with it.
    I'm considering one. I have to use two strokes for my 308 loads with the Lee Auto Disk measure and am not 100% confident in the Lee Auto Disk to consistently deliver very small charges of HP-38. The drum measure should solve both issues.

Chris

Name:  RearangedBench.jpg
Views: 1050
Size:  65.1 KB
    Right to Left:
    - RCBS Rockchucker I have had since I was probably 15yo (1973)
    - PW 800+ in 12g
    - Dillon 900 in 20g
    - Dillon 550 with case feeder

There is another bench along the wall to the right that has a secondary 550 and a Super Swage and a couple of those little Lee single stage presses on 2x4s that either get clamped onto the bench or clamped in a vise.

I built the benches by anchoring a 2x4 or 2x6 against the wall, and running boards out perpendicular to the wall. There is a rail under the front (set it back a little, the presses might need some clearance) that the top boards are screwed into. One advantage is if things move you can just switch the boards around. The PW dumps rounds out the back into a PVC pipe that puts them into a bucket on the floor. When I needed to move it when I got the Dillon 900 I just pulled up a couple of boards and moved them. The mounting holes and shell dump just moved where the press went.

In another thread I read that LL was admonished a bit for getting a single stage, I often urge people to start with one. You will not be happy with it for long but you will use it for something forever, IMO.

Edited to note the archery target under bench full of expensive equipment is about 14 yards away from the recliner, down through the basement door in the quad level house. Something I do, not something I recommend...
    Last edited by mmc45414; 01-31-2016 at 08:00 PM.

Taadski,

Actually, I'm very impressed that you carved it out yourself. Humor is just my way of dealing with feelings of inadequacy. :-)

I'm just stubborn. Not much skill involved. But I needed somewhere to reload and I needed somewhere to store the Vstrom. Now I've got both! And I'm all about the joshing, if ya haven't noticed!

t

I'm glad to see Lee represented, ... Has anyone tried the new Lee Pro drum measure? I just ordered one, and intend to try 300WM on the Turret Press with it.
    I am also a fan of Lee reloading gear. I would buy Dillon or Hornady in a heartbeat if I could justify the $ but the Lee gear just works well enough and is so much more affordable.

I see that FortuneCookie45LC is the only one other than Lee Precision with any youtube reviews up on the Lee Auto Drum(he can be hard to watch and is a bit long winded). He says the auto drum is consistent and smooth with extruded rod powders and did a couple charge consistency tests.

Going for a charge of 34.7 with H4831, He showed a min-max deviation of .3 grains and an average of exactly 34.7 over 50 throws. Going for 2.4gn charge of Unique, he saw a max deviation of .2 grains and an average of 2.4gn over 10 throws.

He also compared the operation of the auto drum to that of the RCBS Uniflow with the H4831 powder and the RCBS measure jammed consistently and had very erratic throws.

I'll be ordering an auto drum for my .223 set up as I'm not 100% satisfied with the Auto Disk/ double disk configuration for the larger charges.
    Last edited by Rich@CCC; 02-01-2016 at 11:33 AM.
    TANSTAAFL

Managing Partner, Custom Carry Concepts, LLC

I'm glad to see Lee represented, especially the Classic Turret Press. I've just been singing it's praises to LL, and I think it is the best press for most people to start off with. Lee may not be the highest quality, but it's not the Lee of the 1980's either. Much of their stuff is well designed and available inexpensively.

I'm a gear snob, no doubt, but my Lee stuff makes .5 moa 308 loads for me just as well as my Redding Competition Micrometer dies and T-7. The redding stuff is really nice, high quality stuff, and slightly easier to dial in and return to, but once its set up right, the Lee stuff will definitely get 'er done. I use Lee a lot, as well as Redding, RCBS and Dillon. All have their pros and cons.

I'm dying here, comparing prices between the Lee Classic and my RCBS starters kit
    #RESIST

Nothing special but it serves me well.

Dillon 550B set up for 9mm.

Im trying to convince a friend to sell me his 1050 in 9mm with bullet and case feeders. If that happens the 550 turns into a 223 press.
    Last edited by punkey71; 02-01-2016 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    I'm dying here, comparing prices between the Lee Classic and my RCBS starters kit
    A single stage, as I've said before, is always worth having. You can use it for a universal decapping die, so that you can clean your cases well without messing up your resizing die. You can then use it to resize and trim your cases, when they need it. After that, you can then do everything else on the turret, and save a bit of time. If they likely won't need trimming, then you can go to resizing on the turret and crank em out. Lots of ways to reload, you just have to pick a safe way and see how it works for you. I like to clean my cases before I resize, and since I use an ultrasonic cleaner, I decap first. After resizing, I like to clean again to get all the lbe off. Then I worry about trimming or loading.

This is why I prefer to load pistol ammo! Much simpler and faster. Shoot, tumble, stick it on a progressive or the turret and do everything at once.

Love seeing that I'm not the only one with a tragedy of a mess around their reloading gear. I'll take a pic when I get the area cleaned up and the new gun bench installed. with 3 1050s on the floor and a bench covered in crap it's a good motivation to clean it up.
    ...and to think today you just have fangs

Rob Engh
    BC, Canada

User Tag List