Page 11 of 25 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your reloading setups!

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    It does align better and helps control the veriance of caol. Coal set to 2.25" and with stock head it will vary 2.25-2.28"+ with the flex in the stock tool head.

The Dillon tool head does flex, run the head to the top of the stroke and watch your tool head. It will bobble/flex. I use it with rifle ammo to keep the coal more precise between rounds. For plinking it does not matter, for precision it does. A single stage press has the die direct threaded to the top of the press, no flex period. Dillons tool head slide into the press and the have a retaining pin, this plate and kit actually are bolted into place and has no vertical/horizontal play. It is a solid mount just like the single stage presses ie rcbs, lee, forster.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

3 100ths" of variance? Sure you don't mean thousandths? That seems HUGE. My pistol reload COALs only vary +/- 5 thousandths with all stock stuff. Am I missing something?

Anyway, copy re the tool plate mechanics. I've always kinda assumed that while there was some extra play, it was reasonably "consistent" play, meaning it still "bottomed out" in the same place each time. I get long range guys, Palma shooters, etc... might need more refinement. I am NO expert in the precision reloading game. Just thought I'd ask.

Interestingly though, as an aside, a buddy was having some COAL issues with his 650 that, in the end, appear to being caused by a Redding seating die. He was getting up to 15 thousandths of variance that eventually was eliminated (or greatly reduced) by going back to the standard stock Dillon die. (shrug)

BTW, this is a good thread.

Yes that should have been 2.38"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

There certainly is some flex in all the tool head design presses. I have not yet ever loaded LR rifle ammo on one, so I have no experience to speak of. However, a buddy here on the forum who is a better LR shooter than I am uses his 650 for exactly that purpose, and he has no trouble producing extremely accurate ammo. I know other guys in the same boat as well. Benchrest? Not so much, but easily capable of .5 moa. Maybe their tool heads flex less than some other out there, who knows.

What digital scales is everyone using?
    Last edited by ravensfan87; 02-06-2016 at 02:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Have you had any house fires? I haven't had my storage system fail either...
    Well if a house fire happens it wouldn't matter where the powder will be. Things happen that's why you have insurance.. Either way, as long as the wife and I are not in the house. Everything else is replaceable.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan87 View Post
    Well if a house fire happens it wouldn't matter where the powder will be. Things happen that's why you have insurance.. Either way, as long as the wife and I are not in the house. Everything else is replaceable.
    Except the firemen. They're not replaceable.

They would much rather 5, 8, perhaps 20 or more lbs of powder ignite while in a, now malleable, heat weakened plastic jug as opposed to a steel container that will turn into tiny shards of extremely hot and extremely sharp projectiles moving at significant speed. Kinda like a bomb.

I hope you and your wife are out, but if your not someone is going to go get you.

Even if you ARE out someone is going in to go in in order to save your property, irreplaceable family treasures and memories.

Store it how you want, of course.

You're doing no one any favors sealing it in a steel container.

Besides, if a steel container is what saves you from accidentally igniting several pounds of powder, a LOT of bad decisions were made prior to that point.

Not trying to be a jerk, I assure you. Just something to think about.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    Except the firemen. They're not replaceable.

They would much rather 5, 8, perhaps 20 or more lbs of powder ignite while in a, now malleable, heat weakened plastic jug as opposed to a steel container that will turn into tiny shards of extremely hot and extremely sharp projectiles moving at significant speed. Kinda like a bomb.

I hope you and your wife are out, but if your not someone is going to go get you.

Even if you ARE out someone is going in to go in in order to save your property, irreplaceable family treasures and memories.

Store it how you want, of course.

You're doing no one any favors sealing it in a steel container.

Besides, if a steel container is what saves you from accidentally igniting several pounds of powder, a LOT of bad decisions were made prior to that point.

Not trying to be a jerk, I assure you. Just something to think about.
    Noted, my friend.
    #RESIST

Just to show a humbler side (and much slower), here's how I temp'rig my Lee Classic Turret Press when I need to reload. The press is mounted to a couple pieces of pine and then the whole thing is clamped to my desk. I don't shoot anywhere near the volume most seem to do on this board, and the roughly 150/hour in 9mm works for me. This morning I'm loading up mock defense loads to vet my new P320s. I'm using bulk Speer 124gr Gold Dots over 4.7gr of SR7625 loaded to the same COL (1.120") and crimp as my normal carry load at roughly half the price. I don't use these for carry, but just a way to ensure the function and feed. 4.7gr was the most accurate in my M&P, so I'm returning to that load as a starting point.

I've just started the setup to reload .223/5.56 and need to rummage around in my wood shop to find some longer screws for my powder drop. Lee ships the double disk set as part of the Classic Turret kit but without the two plastic runners and longer screws.

Name:  2016-02-07 10.57.42.jpg
Views: 570
Size:  63.3 KB

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan87 View Post
    What digital scales is everyone using?
    Upgraded from a MyBalance iWeigh 201 that seemed a bit erratic to a GemPro 250 and quite pleased with it.

Name:  311qDDQ9AzL.jpg
Views: 564
Size:  15.2 KB
    Last edited by GuanoLoco; 02-07-2016 at 12:19 PM.

This handles most of my tasks:
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/175...grain-capacity

An older version of this does the rest
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/496...r-110-220-volt
    Ignore Alien Orders

User Tag List