Page 10 of 25 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Post your reloading setups!

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I'm not ravensfan87, but I love mine. Like any other press, it has a few things that aren't perfect (primer slide can be a bit finicky, and mine's timing was *slightly* off from the factory), but once I got those minor things sorted out, it's been running smoothly and quickly for me. I've never had a Dillon, so I may just not know what I'm missing, but when I was doing research, it sure seemed like buying the Hornady meant you were basically getting the equivalent of a 650 for the price of a 550.

Edit: also, the L-n-L quick change bushings are REALLY nice; I can swap from loading 9mm to .380 really quickly. The longest part of the process is changing the powder charge; if I had two separate powder measures, it'd be under a minute.

I really like my Lock-n-Load AP as well, although I have only loaded a few thousand rounds on it so far. I was able to trade in my old (and long disused) Hornady Pro-Jector + $200 to get it, since the primer tube on the Pro-Jector became unusable and Hornady hasn't made them in a looooong time (and to be honest, it was never exactly a trouble-free press). But, like you, I've never had a Dillon machine so I don't know what I might be missing. I did look very hard at the Dillon before finding out about the Hornady trade-in program and they certainly looked well built. I would probably own one now based on my experience with the Pro-Jector had I not found out about the trade-in program.

Thus far the priming system on the LnL has worked flawlessly for me. However, like yours, my press was out of time from the factory and needed a little tweaking to get it just right. Fortunately, this is pretty straight forward on the LnL. Shortly after setting it up, I discovered Inline Fabrication. Boy, that was an expensive discovery! But the quality of their products and the improvements they make to the basic press are impressive.

As to the hassle of switching powder charges for different calibers, have you considered just buying a dedicated metering insert for each caliber you load? Since they just pop out of the powder measure drum with the press of a button, you could have one set up for your favorite charge for a given caliber (mark the powder and charge setting right on the insert) and keep the dedicated metering insert with the dies for that caliber. If you are using the same powder for both calibers, you don't even need to empty the hopper to change the inserts. Just don't pull the insert and let the drum rotate to the downward position or you are going to empty the entire hopper onto the floor! In fact, Hornady makes a powder measure draining insert that works on exactly that principal, but I haven't bought one.

So far I am just loading 9mm (have other dies and shell plates from the Projector for other calibers which I had converted to work on the LnL, but haven't reloaded anything else yet), but my plan is once I start loading other calibers I will just buy a dedicated metering insert for each caliber and keep that insert with the dies. I've been very impressed with the consistency of the charges thrown by the LnL powder measure, but they are fiddly to get dialed in initially. I would hate the thought of having to re-calibrate one every time I changed calibers.

ETA: Almost as soon as I hit post, I realized the problem with my suggestion. The difference in case lengths is probably enough to require re-setting the powder measure die-depth to fully actuate the measure with the shorter .380 cartridge. And if you are using a PTX expander, that would definitely not just transfer right over without adjusting the die seating depth. So, eh, I guess my suggestion on the metering insert may not be much help. It all hinges on whether or not the .380 case still actuates the measure far enough to drop a consistent charge at the same height as the 9mm setting and you are not using a PTX expander.
    Last edited by Rick_ICT; 02-06-2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: "Duh" moment.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick_ICT View Post
    It all hinges on whether or not the .380 case still actuates the measure far enough to drop a consistent charge at the same height as the 9mm setting and you are not using a PTX expander.
    It does; apparently the 2mm difference in case length isn't enough to screw it up, and I am not using a PTX, so your suggestion may well have merit. I'll have to look into it.

Haven't seen this posted yet,

Unitek Micrometer Powder Bar Kit
    Best powder upgrade to my 550, adjustments are right on.
    http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1231

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk
    AKA: SkyLine1

Fogot to add this as well:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1389

Machined tool head and clamping system for 550/650.

Very solid and no wiggle/play in the tool head. I use it for 556 and 300blk

Quote Originally Posted by LittleLebowski View Post
    How do you like the LNL?
    Love it. I have never really had to many issues execpt for the timing was off when I first got it. Other than that it has ran smooth. I have more than 10,000 rounds on it by now. I have only worn out one retainer spring so far. But the press comes with extra ones.
    Last edited by ravensfan87; 02-06-2016 at 08:52 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by olstyn View Post
    I have heard some people say that storing powder inside a big metal box is not a good idea. The word "bomb" has been used. I'm no expert, but it was enough to scare me away from that idea.
    I have been doing it for 4-5 years. And the guy that taught me to reload has been doing it for 25+ years. Never had a house blow up yet. Any kind of powder can ignite in the right circumstances. But I feel confident about how I store it and never has failed me yet. Also I might need to point out it is not a small gun safe. It is about 9x10 roughly. I had it built in when we had the house built.

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan87 View Post
    I have been doing it for 4-5 years. And the guy that taught me to reload has been doing it for 25+ years. Never had a house blow up yet. Any kind of powder can ignite in the right circumstances. But I feel confident about how I store it and never has failed me yet. Also I might need to point out it is not a small gun safe. It is about 9x10 roughly. I had it built in when we had the house built.
    Have you had any house fires? I haven't had my storage system fail either...

Quote Originally Posted by ravensfan87 View Post
    Take the amount of powder you usually put in a cartridge, put it on the driveway and light it. Then put the same amount in a a cartridge with a bullet on top and ignite it. See any difference.

Quote Originally Posted by SkyLine1 View Post
    Fogot to add this as well:

http://www.uniquetek.com/site/696296/product/T1389

Machined tool head and clamping system for 550/650.

Very solid and no wiggle/play in the tool head. I use it for 556 and 300blk

This primarily for fixing potential concentricity issues when loading precision rifle ammo? It doesn't look like they recommend it for pistol cartridges. Had you seen any issues with the stock Dillon tool heads?

It does align better and helps control the veriance of caol. Coal set to 2.25" and with stock head it will vary 2.25-2.28"+ with the flex in the stock tool head.

The Dillon tool head does flex, run the head to the top of the stroke and watch your tool head. It will bobble/flex. I use it with rifle ammo to keep the coal more precise between rounds. For plinking it does not matter, for precision it does. A single stage press has the die direct threaded to the top of the press, no flex period. Dillons tool head slide into the press and the have a retaining pin, this plate and kit actually are bolted into place and has no vertical/horizontal play. It is a solid mount just like the single stage presses ie rcbs, lee, forster.

Last edited by JM Campbell; 02-06-2016 at 10:28 AM.

User Tag List