View Poll Results: Does Pistol-Forum need a reloading section?

Voters
51. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes!

49 96.08%
  • No!

1 1.96%
  • Mods here are shit.

5 9.80%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678

Thread: Do we need a reloading section?

Thanks Malamute! Great info and I'm tempted to pick up a 30-30 and .45 Colt just because.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Thanks Malamute! Great info and I'm tempted to pick up a 30-30 and .45 Colt just because.
    Mal laid out the pros and cons pretty well, but I'll just add that i have stayed away from the 310 because it only neck sizes and i have too many guns in each caliber for that to work. The lee breachlock hand press is a nice alternative for travel that lets you use your regular dies. Also, the 310 requires lubing the case, where the lee takes the carbide dies, at least for pistol. Nonetheless, i k n ow some guys who prefer to prime on the 310 anove all other options. If i found one at theright price, i wouldmprobably get mm one just because.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    Mal laid out the pros and cons pretty well, but I'll just add that i have stayed away from the 310 because it only neck sizes and i have too many guns in each caliber for that to work. The lee breachlock hand press is a nice alternative for travel that lets you use your regular dies. Also, the 310 requires lubing the case, where the lee takes the carbide dies, at least for pistol. Nonetheless, i k n ow some guys who prefer to prime on the 310 anove all other options. If i found one at theright price, i wouldmprobably get mm one just because.
    Thanks SLG. I will have to take a look at them. This would just be something to play with when dinking around in the country visiting the folks. Shooting old school guns in the back pasture makes me feel 15 instead of 60.....

For the poll section, does it tell who voted for the "mods are shit" option? Asking for a friend.

Quote Originally Posted by babypanther View Post
    For the poll section, does it tell who voted for the "mods are shit" option? Asking for a friend.
    Nope but I voted for that option and am not afraid to admit it
    #RESIST

I was going to edit the post to try and come across as funnier, but oh well.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP552 View Post
    Thanks SLG. I will have to take a look at them. This would just be something to play with when dinking around in the country visiting the folks. Shooting old school guns in the back pasture makes me feel 15 instead of 60.....
    I used to watch TV and resize coffee cans(metal ones!) of handgun brass on my Lee hand press. I'd prime with an RCBS hand tool and finish on a Lee Turret. Now I have a Dillon 550 for pistol and my grandpas C-H Tool and Die H press for revolver ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by LSP972 View Post
    Once the thrill wears off, only a hard-core bench-rest shooter will continue to enjoy reloading. It is a means to an end. And you WON'T "save money"; you'll just shoot more.
    Agreed......I don't believe that I've saved money over the years, but I enjoy the process, have reloaded cartridges that are not commercially available, and made better ammo in the process.
    Gun Free Zones Aren’t an Inhibition….they’re an Invitation.

Quote Originally Posted by SLG View Post
    I take my regular sizing die along for each caliber when I travel, in case I have access to a bench press. I keep a spare at relatives so have one handy. Ive also borrowed friends at their place, go size, then can finish at my leisure. I've considered getting one of the Lyman light duty presses for this also, but I havent really run into situations much where I couldn't lay hands on a bench press when I wanted. Lyman also used to make full length size dies, they had a simple die that a case was driven into with a brass hammer or block of wood, and driven back out with a small rod. I have a few in different calibers. I seem to stumble across them for about $5 or $10 at gun shows. They need a little lube. Just another option in the tool kit of reloading. I also have a bullet mold along for my most used or useful guns (30 cal rifle, 38 and 44). I don't cast much when away, just a funny thing I do, I like knowing I can make ammo if need be.

I've bought several spare RCBS die sets for cheap at gun shows and kept the size die in the travel kit, and have the seat die for use with the Dillon if I want.

I keep a few select lee powder scoops and info on what charges they throw with various powders in my travel kit. Not high tech, but functional to simply make ammo. They are pretty consistent if used right. I now also have spare one of the Lyman 55 powder measures in the kit, and I think I stashed a spare scale at the relatives.

If working at the bench and doing much quantity, I like the Lee priming tools, they are pretty quick and you can feel them seat. You also never have to touch a primer. The Lyman 310 priming die is sort of slow, but I sort of enjoy using them. I don't feel like Im in a rush or hurried. Nice for smaller quantities.

I had some sized shells once, and finished them on the floor of a friends living room in the outskirts of Fairbanks.
    Last edited by Malamute; 02-04-2016 at 03:04 PM.

User Tag List