Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 149: One Cold Shot

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    This is a current goal of mine as well, 2 to a 3X5 at seven in under 2 CONSISTENTLY, but I don't quite follow your logic. Could you elaborate?
    I just got the notion today that as I hit index my intent is to shoot two, instead of shooting one, then another one very quickly. It may stem from my 80s habituation of the hammer. I'm wondering if that mental approach is hanging up my physical execution. The hammer back in the day didn't take as much precision as these 3x5s
    Last edited by JHC; 01-31-2016 at 05:58 PM.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    I just got the notion today that as I hit index my intent is to shoot two, instead of shooting one, then another one very quickly. It may stem from my 80s habituation of the hammer. I'm wondering if that mental approach is hanging up my physical execution. The hammer back in the day didn't take as much precision as these 3x5s
    Gotcha. There are a number of older gentleman in the action pistol league I shoot at that have that problem. They hammer everything and always miss with their second shot. Can't talk them out of it though. Of course none of them are near being the shooter you or a lot of the guys here are.
    Thanks.

Beretta 92 D Centurion, JMCK AIWB under a knit shirt.

I've posted before about my allegiance to the FAST as a great way to test ones pistol skill. I always shoot one cold FAST at the start of my range session. Always. So I combined two DotW's in one this time. Shooting my first cold shot onto the 3X5 as part of the FAST.

It was an epic failure.

2.25 sec, miss.

It went high over the 3X5. If you you look really closely, you can see it buried in the berm about three inches higher than it should be. You can read the rest of my tale of woe in the FAST DotW.
    Last edited by Clobbersaurus; 01-31-2016 at 06:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MVS View Post
    Gotcha. There are a number of older gentleman in the action pistol league I shoot at that have that problem. They hammer everything and always miss with their second shot. Can't talk them out of it though. Of course none of them are near being the shooter you or a lot of the guys here are.
    Thanks.
    I'm one of those older gentlemen of whom you speak and the tendency to "hammer" two is hard to unlearn.

I start every range session with a cold run of the F.A.S.T. drill so I combined these two drills this week.

G19, Raven Phantom Light Bearing, IWB, Concealed under a tee shirt
    Target used: Q-PT 3x5 Head Box
    Hit or miss: Hit
    Time: 2.22
    Observations: Although it won’t be cold I will run this on each of the target sizes next time to see what the time differences are.

Mike

I tried this today, 7 yards 3x5 index card from OWB holster. Got a hit at 2.21 sec.

Observations: I need to work on this more, as I was really inconsistent and often going too fast for where I am now and missing low. Need to drill this more and learn what speed I can go at before I start milking.

M&P 9mm Pro Series from low ready (indoor range, no holster work allowed).
    3x5 target
    Hit
    2.04 seconds

Equipment: Gen3 G34, concealed under a polo shirt in a Keeper, loaded with 124gr + P Gold Dot
    Target used: 3x5
    Hit or miss: Hit!
    Time: 0.99
    Observations: Good drill for yesterday - only had about enough time to shoot a one-shot drill.

[img]20160203_172417 by OrigamiAK, on Flickr[/img]
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Ha! Efficient. Show up. Shoot one shot. Check. Pack it in. The Mike Mentzer of shooting!
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Now I had to go read about Mike Mentzer. Very interesting!
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

User Tag List