Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Week 149: One Cold Shot

Week 149: One Cold Shot

Week 149: One Cold Shot

Results may be posted until February 29th, 2016.

Designed by: Gabe White
    Range: 7 yards
    Target: 3x5", 2" circle, or 1" square - download here: http://pistol-training.com/wp-conten...03/3-two-1.pdf
    Start Position: Holstered or ready
    Rounds Fired: 1

This drill is a very short test intended to be shot cold, and the goal is to simply hit the target. This should be the first shot you fire, without prior dry or live practice in your range session. Start with your gun loaded and holstered if possible; if not allowed on your range, start from ready position of your choice instead. Target is shooter's choice: either a 3x5", 2" circle, or 1" square, at 7 yards. At the start signal, draw or present the gun from ready, and shoot one shot to the target. Record your time, and whether you hit or missed.

Please report the following when you post your results in this thread:

Equipment: gun, holster or ready position used, concealment (if any)
    Target used
    Hit or miss
    Time
    Observations: anything you noticed

Training with firearms is an inherently dangerous activity. Be sure to follow all safety protocols when using firearms or practicing these drills. These drills are provided for information purposes only. Use at your own risk.
    Last edited by Mr_White; 01-29-2016 at 10:23 AM.
    Technical excellence supports tactical preparedness
    Lord of the Food Court
    http://www.gabewhitetraining.com

Equipment: gun, holster or ready position used, concealment (if any) G19 w/RMR, Fricke AIWB, Thor pullover
    Target used 2 inch circle
    Hit or miss Hit
    Time 1.72 seconds
    Observations: anything you noticed After the first shot I went through a mag on the circle. I only beat my initial time once clean with a 1.59

Site Supporter
    P30 LEM 9mm, CCC Shaggy under concealment.

One inch square

Miss

2.26 seconds

So close! Pretty smooth, but slow.

Equipment: Walther P99, JMCK IWB holster with 20 degree cant, starting position normal standing, concealment garments: two thick layers, closed front, drawstroke requires two hands and a snowshovel...
    Target: 2" circle (I know for a fact that I can hit a 3x5 card from this range unless I yank the shot, so wanted to challenge myself a bit more)
    Result: HIT!
    Time: 3.10s (Told ya about the drawstroke...)

G17, OWB no covering garment

at a 3x5 card - 1.32 seconds. Miss dang it! So game over. I tried again not burning and next one in 1.51 was a hit.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

3x5 card.
    Holstered, concealed under a fleece vest.
    1.23; hit.
    C Class shooter.

Equipment: P30 TLG LEM, HD sights, JMCKAIWB, concealed under zip jacket
    Target used: 3x5"
    Hit or miss: HIT!
    Time: 2.08
    Observations: Just a little over my dry fire par. Not disappointed as this was indeed shot cold, first round of the day. Still would like to get this consistently under 2 secs...

It occurs to me to drill at this more. I'm striving to get two 2 on the 3x5 in <2.0 without much progress. Occurs to me that mentally I've been shooting 2 instead of two singles.
    “Remember, being healthy is basically just dying as slowly as possible,” Ricky Gervais

Quote Originally Posted by JHC View Post
    It occurs to me to drill at this more. I'm striving to get two 2 on the 3x5 in <2.0 without much progress. Occurs to me that mentally I've been shooting 2 instead of two singles.
    This is a current goal of mine as well, 2 to a 3X5 at seven in under 2 CONSISTENTLY, but I don't quite follow your logic. Could you elaborate?

Name:  Cold Shot.JPG
Views: 429
Size:  35.7 KB

Gen 3 G-17, Comp Tac holster at 3 O'clock , concealment down vest.
    3x5 target
    Hit
    2.20 seconds
    This is about my normal time for the first shot at a 3x5. I hadn't fired a live shot for several days.

User Tag List