Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How small is too small?

Being poor has benefits. I just carry the same full size everywhere year round.
    Semper Gumby, Always Flexible

Modding this sack of shit BehindBlueI's's Avatar
    There's no one size fits all answer (heh), but some points to ponder:

1) What's your threat level? Are you being actively targeted? (crazy ex stalking you, your occupation puts you at risk, witness in a high profile case, etc.) If so, requirements can change. Your attacker will likely be more dedicated, give you less warning, and distances will likely be longer. All those things push you toward a larger gun in most cases. Random violence is generally closer, is not an ambush, and is resolved very quickly one way or the other. Frankly, most people will run out of time before they run out of ammo, either the threat is down/fleeing or they are.

2) What's the penalty for being made? I'm a cop in a pretty pro-gun state with no penalties legally, employment related, or socially for being made. That's good for the full size gun. Risking getting fired or arrested if you get made? Well...trade offs may be required.

3) What's YOUR skill level with the given gun IN THE CONTEXTS YOU ARE LIKELY TO FACE? I don't really care how well you shoot ninjas out of trees at 150y with it. Can you get it out and get an "A" box hit at 7y quickly? That's more relevant for CCW.

In the end it's all trade offs. The trade offs for me for carrying a full size are negligible for routine carry, so I carry a P226. When I go out of state and my threat profile changes (no one knows I'm a cop) and the hassle of getting made goes up, I switch to a P245.

I carry 4 sec. capacity pistols, so I'm assured of a full grip and ease of magazine changes.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    I carry 4 sec. capacity pistols, so I'm assured of a full grip and ease of magazine changes.
    LEM trigger?
    Likes pretty much everything in every caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by gtmtnbiker98 View Post
    What is a 4 sec. capacity pistol?

Quote Originally Posted by taadski View Post
    What is a 4 sec. capacity pistol?
    .25 splits would be a Glock 19.

Quote Originally Posted by HopetonBrown View Post
    .25 splits would be a Glock 19.
    Or an UZI with a forty round stick.
    Ignore Alien Orders

My rule-of-thumb guide:

If you have to re-adjust your grip after every shot or two then the gun is too small.

If it's too painful to shoot a full magazine rapid fire then the gun is too small.

I'll carry anything I can pass Hackathorn's 5 shot "Wizard Drill" with on a consistent basis from my carry method.

I carry small guns a lot more now due to shifting concealment requirements.

Quote Originally Posted by StraitR View Post
    This is a constant source of self evaluation and introspection for me. Here is my approach.

Identify my skill cliff - There is very distinct performance drop for me when I reach a certain pistol size. A 17 to 19 is not noticeable, but the timer, target, and bullets don't lie when I go from a 19 to 43. Clearly, this is a training issue, and can be addressed to lessen the skill gap from the 19 to 43. I'm sure there are people who can run the 43 like a boss, but I have neither the time or money to attempt the same. My skill cliff is at a...
    For me, it's at a double stack sub compact, though I've never tried a single stack with decent sights.

I've put almost as many practice and match rounds through my p2000sk as I have my USP Expert and found within 10 yards, I can shoot them about the same.

For a place with longer sight lines or elevated risk scenarios, the Expert is the choice, no question.

Like straightr said, size and holster choice plays into it alot. The SK is super comfy and easy to forget about in leather. The expert is not forgettable in kydex, but jrc is trying to change that right now. Ymmv.

PS. That's what she said.
    Last edited by eyemahm; 01-29-2016 at 03:42 AM.

User Tag List