Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Sen. Reeves Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill Passes Committee

Sen. Reeves Concealed Carry Reciprocity Bill Passes Committee

A step in the right direction, sounds promising

Dear Friend,

I apologize for this message coming so late, but Senator Reeves is still in a marathon committee meeting here at the Capitol in Richmond (they have been meeting for six and a half hours and counting already!) and he wanted to make sure that you heard the big news. One of his key bills this session, Senate Bill 610, which seeks to protect the concealed carry reciprocity agreements Virginia has with several other states, just passed the Courts of Justice Committee with bipartisan support a short while ago! The bill now heads to the full Senate for consideration.

Senator Reeves introduced this bill in response to the announcement by the Attorney General's office last month, ending concealed carry reciprocity agreements with several other states. That action puts in jeopardy the 2nd Amendment rights of nearly 421,000 concealed carry permit holders in Virginia when they travel out of state. Senator Reeves is proud of the progress he and his colleagues have made on this issue during session so far. As a strong believer in the 2nd Amendment (and a concealed carry permit holder himself), he is dedicated to protecting the right to self-defense for all law-abiding Virginians.

As always, if you need to contact us during session, you can call our office at (804) 698-7517 or e-mail District17@senate.virginia.gov. We will continue to keep you updated on this bill, in addition to all of our legislation, via our weekly e-mails as session goes on.

Sincerely,

Cassy Horn
    Legislative Director

And there I thought it was in the US Senate, in DeeCee...
    Recovering Gun Store Commando. My Blog: The Clue Meter
    “It doesn’t matter what the problem is, the solution is always for us to give the government more money and power, while we eat less meat.”
    Glenn Reynolds

Site Supporter
    Anyone expect the Governor to sign it if it reaches his desk?
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." - Thomas Jefferson, Virginia Constitution, Draft 1, 1776

The Gov will veto it.

The VA house and senate have SOME D support to override the veto. They need to get a handful more Ds to commit to override.

If your in VA and have a D rep, call them and urge them to vote to override. Otherwise it's dead.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    Same here.

Anyways because of this fluster cluck, I am renewing my Texas permit, as VA recognizes that. I was originally going to let it expire because it didn't provide me any additional states over my Florida resident permit.
    "The rocket worked perfectly, except for landing on the wrong planet." - Wernher Von Braun

http://www.teampegleg.com

Quote Originally Posted by Drang View Post
    I also got (mildly) excited when I read the thread title, and then was disappointed. OTOH, it's not as though a universal reciprocity bill has any hope until 2017 anyway, and even then it might be wishful thinking. Hopefully the VA folks get their situation straightened out.

Site Supporter
    Quote Originally Posted by punkey71 View Post
    The Gov will veto it.Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Are you sure about that? https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...cc8_story.html

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    Just saw that. Unbelievable!

Quote Originally Posted by joshs View Post
    I will happily stand corrected once he signs it. :-)

That said, this seems to be a recurring theme in politics.

The government takes something they have no right to take and then sells it back to us at a cost. All the while calling it compromise when in fact they lost nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by jc000 View Post
    Just saw that. Unbelievable!
    Your Lobby Day efforts certainly helped!!

PS - range day will happen after snow melts

User Tag List